Line 6 Variax guitars are officially discontinued

Lysander

Shredder
Looks it this was announced one month ago. Pretty surprised by how this basically didn't make the news *anywhere* o_O

Is the James Tyler Variax/Variax Standard/Shuriken guitar still manufactured?
No, it is no longer manufactured. Despite this, retailers may still have units in inventory over time.

Why is it no longer manufactured?
Typically, as with many companies, the decision to end the manufacture of any YGG product is based on one or more of these factors: a lack of market demand, a planned successor product, or because the parts to manufacture it are no longer available.

What product will replace it?
For a number of reasons vital to our business, we can't comment on future product releases, but follow us on social media or sign up for our email list to receive new product announcements.

Why is it at a lower price?
You may find the James Tyler Variax/Variax Standard/Shuriken guitar at a lower price at retailers to allow them to clear their inventory of this discontinued product.

If I buy it, will you honor the warranty?
Yes. The full warranty applies if bought as new from an authorized Line 6 retailer and a receipt copy is furnished. See our Warranty page for details.

In what ways will the discontinued product be supported?
You can find manuals on our Legacy Products page, additional information at our Knowledge Base, tutorial videos on our YouTube Support channel, and our Customer Support team can be reached from our Contact Us page.

Pouring Austin Powers GIF

Don’t touch these with a barge pole. The support will be very short and they have quite a few parts that will render them useless it they fail.

I remember when these first came out and one of the mags had a bunch of famous players take it for a test drive and then comment. The one that has always stuck in my head was from Jimmy Herring:

"It kinda plays like a new pair of sneakers. I like old sneakers."

While everyone else waxed poetically about all of the pros and cons, Jimmy just drove the nail home with one swing.

Last edited:
I remember when these first came out and one of the mags had a bunch of famous players take it for a test drive and then comment. The one that has always stuck in my head was from Jimmy Herring:

"It kinda plays like a new pair of sneakers. I like old sneakers."

While everyone else waxed poetically about all of the pros and cons, Jimmy just drove the nail home with one swing.
Generic supermarket sneakers ( trainers in the rest of the world). 🤣

I have a JTV 69 as my main guitar; I need the flexibility and have a Helix to make the most of it. The silence has always been a major plus… no hum or dodgy radio reception ever.

This is disappointing but maybe we are going to get Variax in a pickup to replace it?

Other people have different opinions on them, and that is fine, but the used prices are already on the way up and already there’s no retail stock in the UK.

Same happened with the Variax 700 Acoustic, even now used prices are £500 or more.

1. Variax as an idea, and as partially executed in terms of design and layout, was awesome. But.....
2. I had two JT Variax guitars (an 89 and 69) and a 700. All three had various mechanical or structural problems.
3. I felt that by the time we got to the BOSS GP-10, Roland's take on guitar modeling, however more cumbersome to use, sounded better.

I do hope that someone besides Boss decides to keep up with this, maybe even Line 6 themselves. I would definitely be interested in a next-gen Variax. Maybe Fractal will, and it'll have fourteen pages of edits, so I can adjust the levels of the virtual dust on the virtual pickup cavity.

For me the Variax never appealed because I didn't do anything that would need that many sounds from one guitar, and I liked that my different guitars with different builds all guide me towards playing different things.

It would be nice to see a successor. Maybe now technology can be packaged small enough and has advanced enough that you don't need large PCBs inside the guitar itself, but maybe something that can be retrofitted to more guitars.

Yes do it on a pickup and control it from a pedal. Putting electronics in a guitar is never a good idea. The guitar will always have a much longer lifespan than a gimic.
Agreed. I want my Variax in a pedal that works with any guitar.

Will always keep my JTV-59; I have weird daydreams of converting it to a proper 4-knob LP someday.

Just waiting on that pedal thingy....

I always wanted to try a shuriken but ppl kept saying something about the bridge was no bueno for chugging

Last edited:
I always wanted to try a shuriken but ppl kept saying something about the bridge was no bueno for chugging
I got the 27” Shuriken and I’ve had no issues with palm muting. Maybe I got lucky with mine, because I’ve definitely read my fair share of the Variax “plink” issue when palm muting, but I love it. Paired with a Helix it’s just
I Love It Reaction GIF by Magic: The Gathering

I figure if/when the electronics give out on it, I can convert it to a proper baritone as the finish and playability is great.

JTV range are basically a $250 guitar with electronic parts that should be outboard and their discontinued status and very soon to end support for common faults proves this. A nasty pot metal piezo bridge is no basis for a good fundamental tone.

Back