Let's be contrarians late in the day.

Yeah if you've got a good tech that can at least provide a diagnostic it might be worth a shot to provide that to Guitar Center (contact the manager of the store it's from, not your local store) to see if they would cover the cost (assuming it's not something super fatal)/provide a partial refund :idk
I don't "know a guy" per se. There's a shop down the road, but I suspect he'll charge me plenty and take his time. I have to either get comfortably into "looks hopeful/ worth it/ keeping it territory", or make it GC's problem inside 45 days.

I've been flip flopping. Latest developments have me leaning toward keeping it. It's a great sounding amp!

I don't "know a guy" per se. There's a shop down the road, but I suspect he'll charge me plenty and take his time. I have to either get comfortably into "looks hopeful/ worth it/ keeping it territory", or make it GC's problem inside 45 days.

I've been flip flopping. Latest developments have me leaning toward keeping it. It's a great sounding amp!

If you do decide to keep it (which fingers crossed hopefully sounds like things are on the up and up!) I would still draw up a highly detailed well documented email to the manager of the GC seeking a partial refund considering the amp arrived in non working condition. No guarantees but it can't hurt to try

I'd also contact Mesa directly by phone or email and see what they have to say about the LED thing and potential resolutions that would allow for the amp to work and the pretty blue lights lol

The rule of thumb is that when you double the wattage, the output is only 3 dB louder. Is that in line with what you're hearing? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't think I'm hearing even that much (between 15W and 30W), but it's not like I have a well-quantified sense of what 3dB would sound like in this context. Based on your figures, the 30W to 40W jump would be hard to hear in terms of volume, I'm guessing it's meant to impart a different character Class A vs. push-pull.)

I'll have to test 15 vs. 30 at higher volumes. I'm still in "wife is home" mode. :D

If you do decide to keep it (which fingers crossed hopefully sounds like things are on the up and up!) I would still draw up a highly detailed well documented email to the manager of the GC seeking a partial refund considering the amp arrived in non working condition. No guarantees but it can't hurt to try

I'd also contact Mesa directly by phone or email and see what they have to say about the LED thing and potential resolutions that would allow for the amp to work and the pretty blue lights lol
Excellent advice - thank you!

C'mon man this isn't your first day on TGF, there's threads about this all over the place if you just use the search function. Tone is in the LED lights, bro... :LOL:

Glad to hear you've sorted a few of the issues, and good luck with the rest!

C'mon man this isn't your first day on TGF, there's threads about this all over the place if you just use the search function. Tone is in the LED lights, bro... :LOL:

Glad to hear you've sorted a few of the issues, and good luck with the rest!
Much appreciated!

Update (is this the right thread to hijack, or should I be in the last thread I hijacked, or should I start a new thread...?):

I stumbled on an ancient thread last night where a guy talked about the current draw from the LEDs screwing up the switching, and how he disconnected the LEDs and all the switching problems cleared up. That seemed too weird to be true - how much current could LEDs be drawing, and how would a constant draw ever present a problem?

Well, I tried it, and the amp is no longer cutting out at random. I ran it for nearly an hour just now, and it seems fine (in this regard.) :idk

So... I know I said I hated the blue lights in the first place :rofl but should I be concerned that disconnecting them is a requirement in order for the amp to actually function? Does this signify some broader issue that's going to bite me down the road. (Resale value is already a huge question mark.)

There's also a completely different category of issues relating to noise. Most if not all of these seem to center around the reverb, and perhaps the reverb potentiometer in particular. Sometimes, turning that knob will cause little squealing sounds, and increase/decrease hum unpredictably. There's also that weird, whistling noise I described, which it now seems only happens when reverb is engaged. All of this is maybe partly guitar-dependent, too, which implies a grounding issue(?) Everything (every mode, every wattage) but ch. 2 reverb is usable with my Jem Jr., noise gets a little more unpredictable across the board with my SG.

I'm also puzzled by the fact that the amp doesn't seem appreciably louder in higher wattage settings, but maybe my expectations are out of wack?

So I've clearly got more testing to do, and a little more research to determine what that dumb LED bug is all about. Talk about unnecessary features.

Interesting bit about the reverb noise. I believe that’s tube driven verb, you might want to check that tube. You might also want to observe what happens if you send a preamp or modeler into the fx return…could help isolate where in the amp’s circuit that noise is originating.

Interesting bit about the reverb noise. I believe that’s tube driven verb, you might want to check that tube. You might also want to observe what happens if you send a preamp or modeler into the fx return…could help isolate where in the amp’s circuit that noise is originating.
Yeah, I've already tried a known good 12AX7 in the V5 and V6 positions - no discernable improvement.

It is possible a lower output/ lower noise tube (e.g. 7025) might help, but this problem is not subtle. I feel like something else in the circuit must have failed. No idea what.

Some interesting notes toward the end of this (ancient) thread:

For the curious, this thread is even more interesting with regard to the reverb hum issues:

I would like to get a little money back, since it's looking like this amp is something of a work in progress, but I'm feeling hopeful...

Can you check the ins/outs on the Reverb tank? They could have come a bit loose, and be responsible for
the squealing and odd behavior.

Can you check the ins/outs on the Reverb tank? They could have come a bit loose, and be responsible for
the squealing and odd behavior.
Checked, and they look fine. I also finally got around to testing the fx loop, and that is nice and quiet if the reverb is turned down. Based on what I’ve read, the layout has some issues with noise induction between the power transformer and the tank itself, and the metal cover exacerbates this.

If I run this amp with an HX Stomp in 4cm, it sounds glorious, with all the bells and whistles. But I do wish I could make the onboard spring more usable for when it’s just guitar, cable, amp.

So right now I’ve got a legitimate issue (switching failures) for which I have a workaround (no LEDs), and tubes that are “fine” but arguably could stand replacing to minimize noise. Trying to get a sense as to whether any of this “entitles” me to a further discount from GC. I don’t know how receptive they’ll be given that this is used gear. And I’d never tell them this of course :) but I DON’T want to give the amp back, so I have zero leverage here lol.

Back