Let's be contrarians late in the day.

I don’t have a Boogie on mine, but it would be the centerpiece of my studio. :rofl
iDY46ZA.jpg

So much Boogie. So little productivity :rofl

I’ve had issues with Vox and Fender amps. Never had a problem out of my Mesa. Never had a problem with my Marshall either, unless you count that it didn’t sound very good… not sure what was going on with my ears the day I bought that one…

D

No problems here, and my tech happens to love Mesa’s, so doesn’t mind working on them.

That said, I can totally understand why most tech’s complain about them. Many use pretty primitive and bad PCB design - the layouts will be all over the place, the board won’t be correctly labelled (and the schematics are rife with errors that don’t match the actual amps), often components will be inaccessible without removing others that are fixed above them. There can be several factors that make a relatively simple and inexpensive fix take much more time and effort than it would on other amps.

They also have a tendency to cram TONS of features into an amp which can add a lot of complexity to an otherwise simple circuit, and sometimes those designs can be somewhat crude/prone to failure. They also often use parts that need to be special ordered from them and cost more than off the shelf stuff. Sometimes getting hold of bits from them can take a while.

None of these take away from the fact that Mesa amps by and large sound KILLER. They’re some of my favourite amps. But they do some dumb design stuff that could be done much better if they weren’t so set in their ways.

Any tech that flatly won’t work on them at all is a bit of a red flag to me, but I also totally understand why some may have a “mesa tax” and charge a little more to work on them. From a sound point of view they’re amazing, from a serviceability point of view, they’re pretty awful. That’s part of the charm.

Brad is a legend, his Mesa videos are quite funny because he’ll just rant and rant about all the dumb stuff Mesa do.

https://youtu.be/yuQYBxwCaM0

Lyle is a little more wooden but also makes valid points about this stuff:

This guy is a crackpot:

So many amps these days are a head fuck to work on. The worst I've seen my tech work on is the Fryette Sig:X.

I feel Mesa could easily drop some of the features from their most complex amps with no harm done. Like does a Mark series amp really need a spring reverb and all the assorted circuitry built in when it has a good fx loop and reverb pedal options are plentiful?

I have also hated that because of stuff like this something like a reverb knob is at the back panel of the amp where it's hard to reach or some of their chassis designs are so that you keep hitting your fingers on the chassis trying to adjust all too cramped controls.

As much as I love for example the Mesa Lonestar, I'm secretly happy that they have been unpalatably expensive in Europe for a long time so I don't buy one. I once calculated that taking a trip from Finland to New York, buying a JP2C, coming back and getting a step down transformer for it was cheaper than buying one in Europe. After Mesa changed distributors the pricing is more sane but still expensive.

IMG_2528.jpegIMG_2527.jpegIMG_1308.jpeg

Always found the TC100 hilariously packed in. Like every available space on the chassis and PCB is taken. Most Mesa’s are like this. If there is room you better believe they’re shoving a two notes cab sim in there

I’ve owned quite a bit of Mesa gear over the years:

Dual Rec Rev G - flawless, no issues

Triaxis - 2 rounds of bad LDRs replaced

Simul 2:90 - flawless until a tube eventually blew and took out some other stuff

Mark III - flawless other than a blown power tube once

Studio Preamp - flawless

VTwin pedal - flawless

The only issue I’ve ever run into that could genuinely be attributed back to Mesa was the multiple rounds of bad LDR switches in my old Triaxis. Everything else was tube related and comes with the territory (tube amps).

I can’t really blame Mesa for 30 year old unmaintained amps that finally blow a cap, or used basketcase amps that have been through who knows what. IMO that’s an unfair standard to hold anyone to.

I will say that I stay away from the really complex circuits now…and not because of the brand, but because I’ve come to understand that complexity has trade offs that often impact tone and reliability in guitar amps. I’d love to see Mesa get back to simpler tone machines. I don’t need my brutal crunch machine to be able to open my garage door.

Back