Let's be contrarians late in the day.

It might be locked under a paid upgrade. I think we tried something like this before with .syx files… @The Colonel, you got any insight?
I'd say the forum shouldn't support random filetypes. PDF can have viruses. If you want to upload these, use one of the many cloud storage providers like Dropbox, Google Drive, MS One Drive etc and generate a link that allows access then post the link.

I'd say the forum shouldn't support random filetypes. PDF can have viruses. If you want to upload these, use one of the many cloud storage providers like Dropbox, Google Drive, MS One Drive etc and generate a link that allows access then post the link.
True.

I haven't used Google Drive (intentionally) in years, so I don't know whether this will work, but here's a link for anyone curious:

I called Mesa yesterday, and got a call back from a guy named Chris in Nashville. He told me I'm looking at somewhere between $150 and $250 (I'm going to guess that means $250) for the repairs described in the TSB, plus whatever I spend to have UPS/FedEx hump the amp to and from California (probably another ~$100 or so.) The alternative is to drive it an hour or two to a local authorized repair shop, but I think that's more likely to go sideways and cost me more money. And Chris did say that Mesa would be better able to go over the amp in full and get it sounding exactly as intended.

Meanwhile, GC has since refunded ~$245, so that nearly breaks even, apart from shipping. I just have to make up my mind whether to make the amp "right", or limp along as is. Not ready to part with it just yet.

:rawk

Last edited:
True.

I haven't used Google Drive (intentionally) in years, so I don't know whether this will work, but here's a link for anyone curious:

I called Mesa yesterday, and got a call back from a guy named Chris in Nashville. He told me I'm looking at somewhere between $150 and $250 (I'm going to guess that means $250) for the repairs described in the TSB, plus whatever I spend to have UPS/FedEx hump the amp to and from California (probably another ~$100 or so.) The alternative is to drive it an hour or two to a local authorized repair shop, but I think that's more likely to go sideways and cost me more money. And Chris did say that Mesa would better able to go over the amp in full and get it sounding exactly as intended.

Meanwhile, GC has since refunded ~$245, so that nearly breaks even, apart from shipping. I just have to make up my mind whether to make the amp "right", or limp along as is. Not ready to part with it just yet.

:rawk

I had a great chat with a Mesa rep yesterday as well. Good people working there from what I can tell.

I’d think probably each way given how expensive shipping has been the last few years.
Yeah, you're probably right. Mesa will apparently ship it back at their discounted rate of $40 (which is comparable to GC's shipping rate.) But I can see spending closer to $100 to get it there, adequately insured, etc.

Decisions, decisions...

I'd be most concerned with getting the LEDs restored vs. the onboard reverb :bag :sofa:whistle :grin
In practical terms, I'm not all that concerned about either, really. I just don't want to sit on the amp until some Gibson bean-counter decides Mesa repairs ought to cost 4x what they currently do. :nails

Reverb and FX Loop are linked on the TA-30 so you need one to have the other. :idk

$250 doesn't sound that bad considering @mbenigni . I bet Mesa knows what the what
is and can make easy work of it. That said, I know what an hassle all that shipping business
can be.

Mine slayed as a Tube Power Amp this week in a really loud setting. Never used the TA
like that before. Such a crazy versatile amp. Love that homely little fucker!! :LOL:

Reverb and FX Loop are linked on the TA-30 so you need one to have the other. :idk
True, but the noise in question goes away if the reverb knob is dialed all the way down - even if the reverb/loop switch is flipped on. :)

This is mostly true, at least. Some power amp modes (e.g. ch. 2 40W) are still quite noisy, even without reverb. There are so many permutations to keep track of…

Agree 100% on $250 being reasonable, and if I could just drive the amp there myself it would be a done deal. :)

I’ve been running it 4cm with a Stomp, and it’s a GREAT power amp for HX pres. You just have to be careful not to flip from the TA pre to an HX pre on ch. 2, since it instantly pulls the master out of the signal path: BOOM. :O Ch. 1 has the master (if engaged) on the power amp side, which is helpful.

Last edited:
Just a thought. A pair of the power tubes could be getting weak and/or failing if
Full Power is that noisy. :idk

A full retube might not be out of the question.

Just a thought. A pair of the power tubes could be getting weak and/or failing if
Full Power is that noisy. :idk

A full retube might not be out of the question.
I hope not. That would bring me a couple bucks closer to this not having been an especially great deal lol.

Anyway 30W is even quieter than 15W for whatever reason, so I don’t have any clear evidence of a power tube issue.

It really could be power tubes then.

15 watts is just the inner duet, V8-V9. That means V7 and or V10... or both... could
need to be replaced. It would be the first thing I would correct/check.

@mbenigni doesn't the Express use the same tubes? Give a swap if so, just for the sake of science.
I already have - to the extent possible. The Express only has 2x EL84s, so I can only test replacing one pair at a time.

In any case, if this were the problem, I would expect the introduction of the additional pair in 30W mode to make the amp more noisy, not less.

Reactions: JT
Noise tends to be preamp tube(s). Loss of power tends to be power tube(s). Generally speaking.

Last edited:
I'd try and replace the outer pair (engaged in 30w and 40w modes) with the 2 from
the Express. Leave the inner pair as those are what power 15 watt mode.

94 Trem-o-verb bad tube blew screen resistor in the second year. Zero issue for the remaining 13 years I used it.
Mark V, and 2 Lone Stars spent more time in the shop than being recorded in the 4 years I beat them up.
Transatlantic…no issues just didn’t like its sound.
Express no issues.

94 Trem-o-verb bad tube blew screen resistor in the second year. Zero issue for the remaining 13 years I used it.
Mark V, and 2 Lone Stars spent more time in the shop than being recorded in the 4 years I beat them up.
Transatlantic…no issues just didn’t like its sound.
Express no issues.
You’re unlucky. Out of 8 Mesas I’ve had, only one had issues, and that was due to physical damage.

You’re unlucky. Out of 8 Mesas I’ve had, only one had issues, and that was due to physical damage.
I’m not sure it had to do we luck the t-verb was in the states and since Mesa uses a screen resistor as sorta as an extra fuse for tube shorts I call that wear item.

The others were Asia and the tech I found myself (US guy) thought that power there was just too dirty and too much fluctuation to run amp full tilt boogie. But that’s where they sounded great even if I only got an hour before they needed the techs tlc again.

Last edited:
I'd try and replace the outer pair (engaged in 30w and 40w modes) with the 2 from
the Express. Leave the inner pair as those are what power 15 watt mode.
I still feel like this scenario would result in the 30W mode being noisier than the 15W mode, not quieter. But it's a moot point, really, since I misspoke above: they're all equally quiet if the reverb pot is turned down. (Well, today anyway...) I'm definitely dealing with induction between the transformer and the reverb tank, as described in the TSB.

Another weird thing I just noticed about this amp: if I have a pedal plugged into the front footswitch jack, pedal control can't be overridden with the channel toggle switch. The pedal should only be active when that toggle is in the center "footswitch" position, but if a pedal is connected, the toggle is ignored in favor of the footswitch. I'm guessing that's related to all the other switching issues that I had to work around by disconnecting the blue LEDs.

Last edited:
Back