Leon Todd

So essentially if I want to use analog preamp/synergy to plug into my daw and I have a fm3 as an audio interface, what would you (anyone can answer) suggest? I want to use my eventide plugins, or I can use fractal fx too but if I want to record, I need to use daw. I have no room for cabinet and PA combo, I would go that route if it would be an option but it isn't.

So essentially if I want to use analog preamp/synergy to plug into my daw and I have a fm3 as an audio interface, what would you (anyone can answer) suggest? I want to use my eventide plugins, or I can use fractal fx too but if I want to record, I need to use daw. I have no room for cabinet and PA combo, I would go that route if it would be an option but it isn't.
For Synergy: use its 4CM approach which goes like this:

Guitar --> Input
"To Amp In" jack on Synergy --> FM3 input 1
FM3 output 2 jack --> Symergy "from Amp Send" jack
Synergy "To amp return" jack --> FM3 input 2

FM3 output 1 jacks to studio monitors; USB to computer. I would NOT monitor your FM3 through your DAW unless you really want to be hearing the Eventide plugins while you play, since this is adding latency which to me would kinda kill the vibe of running a tube preamp.

For other preamps: Guitar into preamp. Preamp output into FM3 input 1. FM3 output 1 to monitors. USB from FM3 to computer.

I have never been able to tweak my fm3 to sound excellent, I've watched all the videos in the world, tried axe exchange, to buy presets and nothing really helps. I play really low volumes, that might be why presets others make lack always something and have too much mids. Same with ir:s, never found a one I really like. Dynacabs helped matters somewhat. I tend to overscoop the mids, but if I don't higain sounds sound boxy. I need to take out -2-4 db of 250-2khz but then sound lacks body. So my options really are boxy or thin 😀. That's why I would like to add tube warmth but you guys are saying that won't help. Maybe I should drop the mids in the global eq and not in the eq block? That I have not tried yet.

When I bought my fm3 I thought I'd get 5/5 tones but I'm at 3.5/5 at best. User error I am certain. Or then I'm asking too much out of my hs-7 monitors

Not Leon, but have plenty of experience working with Synergy (and other tube stuff) in combination with modelers (including an FM3) and...

...there are reasons to want to use a tube pre-amp along with a modeler, but "tonal improvement", in my experience, isn't really one of them. Knobs and hardware and avoiding the rabbit hole of swapping to different amp models frequently, etc., are all benefits.

I also think running a tube preamp in the effects loop kinda misses one of the biggest benefits of running a tube preamp in conjunction with a modeler: having your guitar (or pedalboard) hit an all-analog front end that you can then gain-stage appropriately for the digital world. You can use dirt pedals, including ones with massive output, and not worry about whether or not your clipping the converters, etc., Running a tube preamp in the loop of a modeler just adds one more layer of back-of-the-mind "wait, is the digital stuff, including an unavoidable round of conversion even if I'm not using any pre-effects, depriving me of all the analog goodness?!?!?!" worry that just makes the whole expereince less fun -- and for me pretty much the entire point of running analog preamps with a modeler is...fun.
Reason I put my kraken in the fx loop of fm3 is that if I put it in front of it, I cannot use pitch block or wah in fron of it. Any ideas on that? I sold my zakk wylde wah, so I cannot use analog wah.

@Boudoir Guitar are you using a power amp sim in modeler? I have many analog preamps buy can't dial a power amp sim in Axe Fx to sound good enough. I use "tube pre" block, but I'm not happy with this methood so far. It usually sounds better with it bypassed.

So I swiched now to amp -> load box -> axe, which is easy and sounds always amazing to me.

@Boudoir Guitar are you using a power amp sim in modeler? I have many analog preamps buy can't dial a power amp sim in Axe Fx to sound good enough. I use "tube pre" block, but I'm not happy with this methood so far. It usually sounds better with it bypassed.

So I swiched now to amp -> load box -> axe, which is easy and sounds always amazing to me.
How 'bout we send all questions related to this narrow topic over to this thread?

Reactions: JT

have you seen this video of Leon's - it is quite useful - I've used it with the Friedman IRX and it sounds good even though I like the "power amp simulation" in the Friedman

Last edited:
Leon, I'd like your opinnion on synergy modules. I bet you have tried most, if not all of them. I just bought syn-1 and xtc module and now I'm looking for all out metal module. I own a mesa studio preamp, so not looking for mesa, but maybe uberschall, savage, herbert, vh4, 6505..what would you recommend? I play mainly 80-90's metal, not modern metal.

Uberschall is probably my personal favourite high gain module, but the 5150 is pretty awesome for the big hair metal tones or boosted for thrash.

Uberschall is probably my personal favourite high gain module, but the 5150 is pretty awesome for the big hair metal tones or boosted for thrash.
Someone else (youtuber) said uberschall is his fave too. I think I'll get that one. I was expecting a lot from synergy but I think they managed to top the expectations. I currently have only one module, xtc, but that one is so good.

Back