Laney LFR-112

paisleywookiee

Rock Star
Well, let’s start the honeymoon. So far, I’m pretty amazed. It sounds really good through my presets, with little to no tweaking, and it’s loud. It’s also not that heavy. Maybe I’m just a swole GenXer, but I had no problem moving it around.

More thoughts to come.

IMG_0240.jpeg

Well, let’s start the honeymoon. So far, I’m pretty amazed. It sounds really good through my presets, with little to no tweaking, and it’s loud. It’s also not that heavy. Maybe I’m just a swole GenXer, but I had no problem moving it around.

More thoughts to come.

View attachment 16036
When you say loud, does that mean the 2x12 version could probably keep up with a drummer that’s playing heavy shit?

I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I had it. Price wasn't too bad either but this was probably 3 or 4 years ago now. Is this the one with the lights around the piping 😂

Nice! I have always liked the looks of these. Not having to tweak presets excessively when using them is a good sign certainly. Remind me; is it coaxial or separate woofer and tweeter?

Why oh why do they never add a second input on these guitar cab lookalike FRFRs? Same with the Fender thing, same with the L6 powercabs, etc.
It's just absurdly stupid, really. By now, I can't count it anymore how often I was using the second input on my Alto for various duties, usually on smaller gigs when there was no dedicated house monitoring for me. I could then either grab a dedicated monitor signal or feed at least, say, some keyboards into it (splitting a signal for me using a DI box).
The additional circuitry should cost pennies.

I came *this* close to buying one recently, but the weight (almost 20kg!)
Wait til you hear what it weighs in pounds!
I thoroughly enjoyed mine when I had it. Price wasn't too bad either but this was probably 3 or 4 years ago now. Is this the one with the lights around the piping 😂
Yeah, the Christmas lights. You can turn them off though.

Why oh why do they never add a second input on these guitar cab lookalike FRFRs? Same with the Fender thing, same with the L6 powercabs, etc.
It's just absurdly stupid, really. By now, I can't count it anymore how often I was using the second input on my Alto for various duties, usually on smaller gigs when there was no dedicated house monitoring for me. I could then either grab a dedicated monitor signal or feed at least, say, some keyboards into it (splitting a signal for me using a DI box).
The additional circuitry should cost pennies.

This is why I kept the Headrush and use it weekly.

:sofa

It doubles as a keyboard amp/monitor
by allowing me to use that 2nd input.

Question: when running a modeler into the LFR (or any "FRFR" setup, I would guess), do you run the volume maxed on the modeler, and then dial in the volume accordingly on the "FRFR"? Or do you do a mix of it, where the volume isn't full up on the modeler?

Curious, how do these in general sound different than PA-atyle FRFRs/monitor wedges? I.e. can I use these as normal PA-type speakers to route other instruments through? Or does it have a guitar frequency focus because of the shape and size?

do you run the volume maxed on the modeler, and then dial in the volume accordingly on the "FRFR"? Or do you do a mix of it, where the volume isn't full up on the modeler?

I usually check out the scenario resulting in the least amount of device hum. Very often, there's a sort of noticeable difference between the two extremes, especially with cheaper monitors it's often a decent idea to not crank them up all the way.
I do however always leave some headroom on whatever device's output, so I can do the final volume balancing from there, not having to crawl behind whatever monitor it might be.

Back