Laney Amplification Appreciation Thread

What's your favorite Laney Amp?
How did you first learn of Laney Amplification?

I first heard of Laney in Virginia Beach, Va.
Can't remember the store, as I usually shopped at Mars Music.

I had returned from an overseas deployment, playing shows once a week for 6 months. I knew I needed a big boy tube amp, and a 4 by 12 cab.
I wanted a Mesa Dual Rec (99-00). But Mars lost their dealer status? So I went down the road to a different store...and they were supposed to have the rec there....they didn't. I was crushed.

So the dude asked me what I wanted, and what I liked. I told him I needed distortion from the amp, and a clean channel...maybe reverb?

We went to the demo room.....he wheeled in a Laney GH100L with matching 4 by cab. And a Peavey 5150 and 2 by 12 cab.

He played the 5150...cool nice....did not love the clean channel.

Then he played the Laney..... amazing cleans...just beautiful....then he switched on the extra gain stage....fiddled with the pre and post gain...and Bam! I was in love.

He played unchained and I lost it....played some Pantera .... I asked him to leave....and played around for about 10 minutes at full blast....never been more geeked.

Needless to say, purchased my first Laney that day, and have never owned another brand.

The amp and cab combined, was 1400 USD. That's insane. Can't get them for that now!

The Dual Rec head was just 2500 at the time.

That GH100L is still my favorite amp....but I'd love to own one of every single amp they made/make. I love them so much.

Do you?

Tell me more!

Also, was anyone part of the old Laney Owners Group forum?

Last edited:
@likitlikeyoulikeit I have never played through one and always thought they were 2nd tier compared to Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Fender. The guys I am playing with wanted to add Paranoid to our list of songs and I started going down the "Sound Like Tony Iommi" rabbit hole. I have a much better appreciation for them after watching a lot of YT videos and cant wait to play through one to check them out.

Last edited:
@likitlikeyoulikeit I have never played through one and always thought they were 2nd tier compared to Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Fender. They guys I am playing with wanted to add Paranoid to our list of songs and I started going down the "Sound Like Tony Lommi" rabbit hole. I have a much better appreciation for them after watching a lot of YT videos and cant wait to play through one to check them out.
Definitely not second tier at all. Very much the opposite.

Not sure where you live, but in the US, they were hampered by bad distribution and terrible support from aforementioned distribution.

I once personally wrote to a VP of marketing there, about 12 years ago, and informed them of the problem I was having. They and their superiors, personally responded and wanted to know what I went through. They, from the UK, outside of their own distributor here in the States, sent me a brand new amp...to my doorstep....in 3 days. This was with the standard burning in procedure and secondary inspection.

Shortly afterwards, they changed their distribution and marketing.... expanded to pedals....and have risen steadily since.
(Not taking credit. Just an example of their dedication to satisfaction and loyalty to customers)

They are an amazing company and are a family owned business, still. I love them so much...and can annoy a lot, because I recommend them all the time. But I just believe they are so underrated.

They have at least 8 amps that should be considered classics...but most just write them off as Marshall copies, which is irony in spades.
Not a Marshall copy at all. Quite different.

Last edited:
Used a Laney LC50 combo for all sorts of small to medium sized stages over quite some years. Swapped speakers and finally even had it modified to run 6L6s instead of EL34, but it has been a great amp throughout all incarnations.
Nothing even remotely heavy/metal, though, but I never needed that anyway.
Still owning it but I'm afraid it won't see a stage ever again while in my posession.

Had a GH100L. Solid amp. Had V30s and thought they were a bit too harsh. Not overwhelmed in any way. Had the VH100r. It was noisy and had some issues. Had the IRT15 which was the only el84 I've ever played and actually liked. I'd say it was my favorite Laney out of all I've owned? Wasn't quite loud enough so I ended up with the IRT120 and it was noisy, heavy and just not inspiring in any way.

Had a GH100L. Solid amp. Had V30s and thought they were a bit too harsh. Not overwhelmed in any way. Had the VH100r. It was noisy and had some issues. Had the IRT15 which was the only el84 I've ever played and actually liked. I'd say it was my favorite Laney out of all I've owned? Wasn't quite loud enough so I ended up with the IRT120 and it was noisy, heavy and just not inspiring in any way.
Strange, my IRT120 is quiet as hell. It is heavy, but I have not had the noise issue. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I will say it does benefit from leaving the boost on 2 at all times... or a good eq in the effects loop.

Other than that....I would not say uninspiring at all....but I swapped all the tubes and did a variety of testing and changing to achieve tonal happiness.

Everyone gels with different stuff.....wish I still had my GH....gonna get one again, some day.

Strange, my IRT120 is quiet as hell. It is heavy, but I have not had the noise issue. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I will say it does benefit from leaving the boost on 2 at all times... or a good eq in the effects loop.

Other than that....I would not say uninspiring at all....but I swapped all the tubes and did a variety of testing and changed to achieve tonal happiness.

Everyone helps with different stuff.....wish I still had my GH....gonna get one again, some day.
I'd rather revisit a curated boost(ed) GH with better speakers at this point? I'd like to try the IRT SLS but it's way too expensive on the used market anymore.

Torodial transformers :love
I always wanted one of these

tt100h.gif

I had a GH100L that I paid $300 for. It got thrown around in my old station wagon for a bunch of shows one summer and never complained. Like a JCM800 and a Twin had a baby. Sold it to one of my students. Fun amp.

I believe the LX has a torodial as well. It's a circle, if nothing else :rofl
Yep... similar to the IRT in many ways.... essentially part of the pre .. different power config....same adjustments and features. Winning combo. Seems like a reasonable replacement for the GH..... didn't really like the red black thing the new one had (GH).

I had a GH100L that I paid $300 for. It got thrown around in my old station wagon for a bunch of shows one summer and never complained. Like a JCM800 and a Twin had a baby. Sold it to one of my students. Fun amp.
Yeah, single channel...but that extra gain stage...with the way the pre and post interact.....so good.

I would also jumper the effects loop and fiddle with the adjustment to get it super hot..... :chef

Back