Korea vs Indonesia (QC etc.)

I have seen lots. I am a tech. show a photo of one needing a side fill it shouldn't be hard to find if they are as common as you seem to think.
No problem...

1704737401176.png

I couldn't find the one from instagram the other night, but it wasn't an NX, and the technician had posted asking why he has to do this all the time.

If you care to, you can also join the FB groups. I follow a bunch of tech instagrams, and I do some of my own work (the minor stuff) so it's useful to pickup tips.

Fret ends are a minor setup problem though. I'd be more concerned about neck pocket and alignment problems as that's harder to correct. But full disclosure, I haven't seen any threads about neck alignment issues in recent memory, but I have seen some specifically after they switched to Cortek. Maybe it's the taint of internet griping--who knows? I'm not a dealer, and TBH I rarely ever see them in person as noted previously.

Fwiw, I had an SRV Strat that had a twisted neck and a bad pocket. Was a cool guitar before it became unplayable--and that is DEFINITELY a guitar that was way more money than it should've been. :D
Short price comparison:

Yep, exactly like I said. Strandberg runs from about $1600 up to around $8k. Aristides doesn't have a 'lower end' line so they run from about $2750 to $5-$6k. Sure looks like a big chunk of Aristides competes with a big chunk of Strandberg's lineup.

Also worth noting that the 'most popular' strandbergs at sweetwater are $2500ish. Just at a glance, those are mostly extended-scale guitars too. I'm not surprised that the less expensive ones are more popular; that's pretty much how this industry works.

Don't worry, I'm used to having unpopular opinions and being told so--I've played like 12 Suhrs that I didn't think were even close to being worth the money, bought one that was really good, and returned it because it wound up being the only Suhr I've encountered without SS frets. Bottom line hot-take: You'd be way better off buying a USA G&L/Fender Ultra/Ibanez AZ (and that's a tough pill for me to swallow as I've played more than a few of those and also returned one) than a Suhr Classic.

Look, my intention is not to defame Strandberg here, some people clearly really dig them, and there are enough good ones that it's created a pile on, but It's not been my experience that they are super-special or anything. Maybe I'll get into a position where I see a wider swathe than I have and I'll change my tune, but right now I remain skeptical.

BULLSHIT!

1704739183176.png

It's pretty easy to spot someone with a bone to pick.....

Last edited:
It may be, I’ve never played a Strandberg but their innovation and unique design elements deserve a premium imo.

How much that should add to the price, idk..

Although they are made in smaller numbers, It should have basic guitar playability and QC for sure.
I actually don't disagree with 'patent' pricing. I.e. you want that feature, you have to pay more. But personally, I think the features aren't attractive enough for me.

Just for the curious as to why someone might hold this opinion.

1704739914729.png

I won't be responding anymore. I think people here are clearly adult enough to find out for themselves.

I think people here are clearly adult enough to find out for themselves.

Which is why I said bullshit. Been following the brand closely for years now. Have played at least a dozen of them along with the four I've owned. Still got one. I found out for myself long ago and kept getting my opinion validated each time I tried another one.

It's comforting that you lump Strandberg in with Suhr though.
That's some awesome company to be keeping! (y)

Unless it’s a Strandberg. Then it’s a $900-$1000 Cort for $2000-$3000.
It may be, I’ve never played a Strandberg but their innovation and unique design elements deserve a premium imo.

How much that should add to the price, idk..

Although they are made in smaller numbers, It should have basic guitar playability and QC for sure.

A bit of fret sprout that should have been picked up and no pictures of any other things. I could find you that on ANYTHING. Your basing your opinion on very few instruments, nothing like enough to be representative. I was quite critical of aspects of the mine in a review I posted here but I am still waiting for a photo of a Strandberg with a gap down the side of the neck.

Last edited:
Don’t all guitars suffer from fret sprout irrespective of price?
I’m not sure but think I heard that in a video.

Maybe higher end ones have better wood treatment and it doesn’t shrink like that.

I wish they did the salen jazz one in a shorter scale length but everyone wants 25.5” these days..

• Original - veneer
  • Standard - veneer
  • Prog - veneer
  • Fusion - veneer
That's all current models on their website.
They are the cheaper models the expensive ones are made in Japan. The previous Indonesian models were better in this regard. Solid top roasted birdseye maple and swamp ash. The new ones have a nicer neck joint and a revision to the hardware.

One of the absolute worst made guitars I've owned is a Korean made Strandberg. It was so bad that it should have never left the factory, it was a downright joke that they tried to pass it off as a 2400 euro guitar. Promptly returned it and won't touch Strandberg again.
  • The fretwork was so bad low action was impossible.
  • It was missing a chunk of wood near the headstock.
  • Finish was already flaking off the bridge.
  • The limited edition's quilt maple top was like plain maple for over 1/3 of the top and low grade figure elsewhere.
  • Gigbag at this price? And it was missing all the tools it was supposed to have!
I've played the Japanese ones and they are much, much nicer but also so expensive they make no sense unless you go to Japan and buy one.

But they still share the terrible bridge design with imprecise, cumbersome action adjustment. The non-NX bolt-on heel design also sucks, it goes so far up the neck that it gets in the way. Endurneck is also a bit of a gimmick, it doesn't need to be so angular.

They are the cheaper models the expensive ones are made in Japan. The previous Indonesian models were better in this regard. Solid top roasted birdseye maple and swamp ash. The new ones have a nicer neck joint and a revision to the hardware.
I don’t think anyone in this thread has been talking about the $5000+ Japanese models. I know I was not.

I’ve seen one Sugi guitar ever, but it was impeccable.

Last edited:
I have a Korean D’Angelico which is a great instrument and one Indonesian Ibanez Jem which sounds better than my MIJ one. Make of this info what you will.

Can't comment on Indo vs Korean LTDs since it's been years since I've owned a Korean one... But I just got two LTDs in a trade. Same model, color, all stock. Both made in the same year. One in China, one in Indonesia. They are very different guitars.

I spent some time today setting up both of them and the difference between them is baffling. The Indo one sounds so much better it's not even funny, but the neck is slightly fatter and it was harder to intonate. However, while I like the thinner profile of the Chinese one better, i can't get the action as low without it fretting out on the high E string and buzzing on the low E. The frets on the Indo guitar are nicely polished and slightly rolled at the edge. The Chinese one was sharp so I had to file them and then they are basically just cut straight, no rollover at all.

Back