Korea vs Indonesia (QC etc.)

So having played at 100-200 different situations since 2018 in a major metropolitan area, I have seen 1 strandberg on stage in all of that time.

I just don't think they are that popular as the internet and fb groups would have us believe. I can tell you I've seen 1 in the wild and dozens requiring nut replacement, bridge work, and side filing on the internet though. Just funny little anecdotal thing.

The internet can often obscure our perception of reality by making the uncommon common, or the unrealistic realistic.

Finishes and wood choices are highly subjective.

Personally, if I were paying $1.5k to $2k on a guitar, I'd definitely not be looking for a gimmick like the strandberg neck.

Also, $1k isn't much for a guitar when you consider half the squier line from Cort is north of $400. But, I'm also not going to be lulled into the belief that Cort is touching what's coming out of Strandberg's Japanese partners for example.

All things aside, I do think if you spec a $2k cost guitar from Cort, you're going to get a good guitar, depending on what's in the contract. I think some companies are jumping ship from Cort due to brand perception and because they aren't big enough fish to receive the special treatment that Squier likely does for being THE largest contract they have other than maybe Ibanez.

Last edited:
IMG_3050.jpeg

Not cheap materials at all and similar build quality to similarly priced instruments. Way better fit and finish than any Gibson. Yes some have issues but the perception is more than the actual. It comes up mostly because of people having a problem with a $2k + Indonesian guitar.

Things said previously in this thread are relevant, but some are misconstrued. I generally agree that the price point sets the quality control and standards for imported guitars. There are some great Indonesian (cort) guitars coming out. BUT at least as far as strandberg is concerned, I'm a member of the FB group, and I've seen a lot of notable issues with them, stripped nut hardware, bad neck pockets, Occasionally cracked fingerboards and sketchy fretwork. This is also a major problem with Solar guitars.

You don't hear about these problems with the equally modern Aristides guitars that are basically the same price...
Aristides is way more money but yes basically perfect.
IMG_2008.jpeg

Depends on the model
None of the newer Boden Standard or Original models are roasted anymore. Also, read the other posts. I’ve already said my issues with them. Whether that mirrors anyone else’s experience doesn’t really change my opinion or perception of them.

Also, Gibson QC comparisons is a pretty low bar, no? How about Fullerton G&Ls in the same price range, PRS S2, ESP E-II, all generally immaculate in this price range.

Again, as has been stated, I’ve seen and played a bunch. In my experience with them, as well as the techs that worked on them, not impressed for the money. YMMV.

Last edited:
Astrides is right in the mid-level strandberg range. Sure, they aren't $1600, but they aren't $6k either. --Definitely a competitive product.

Seeing one guitar with a perfect neck pocket doesn't really help with the consistency conversation either. I have a fender on the wall over here I can stick a .88mm pick in, so obviously I don't think Neck pockets are that important. But when I hear from a local tech that they have done quite a few side-files on Strandbergs that have come in, that tells me a pretty different story.

Astrides is right in the mid-level strandberg range. Sure, they aren't $1600, but they aren't $6k either. --Definitely a competitive product.

Seeing one guitar with a perfect neck pocket doesn't really help with the consistency conversation either. I have a fender on the wall over here I can stick a .88mm pick in, so obviously I don't think Neck pockets are that important. But when I hear from a local tech that they have done quite a few side-files on Strandbergs that have come in, that tells me a pretty different story.
I have seen lots. I am a tech. show a photo of one needing a side fill it shouldn't be hard to find if they are as common as you seem to think.

I have seen lots. I am a tech. show a photo of one needing a side fill it shouldn't be hard to find if they are as common as you seem to think.

I'm 100% with Eagle on this! Everyone's entitled to opinions based on their own experiences but I'm teaming up with the Eagle to counter-balance the Wookie. ;)

I'm 100% with Eagle on this! Everyone's entitled to opinions based on their own experiences but I'm teaming up with the Eagle to counter-balance the Wookie. ;)
Whatever floats your boat. You can't expect me to say they're amazing, when I've seen plenty to the contrary. Like I said, I guess I'm just unlucky.

You saw a few bad ones. Between me and Eagle we've seen lots of good ones.
Not sure what floats your boat has to do with it.
Sure, I guess. How many do I need to see before my opinion is valid? Not so much you, but I get tired of the "I'm a tech, therefore know more than you" mentality that sometimes comes across here.

EDIT

"Whatever floats your boat" meant whatever makes you happy, or whatever you like, you like. It's fine.

Sure, I guess. How many do I need to see before my opinion is valid?

Our opinions are valid the moment we take our first breath. I don't think anyone is trying to change your mind as much as convince you that your experience with Strandberg is quite different than most. That's all.

I have a 2019 Prog that I bought thinking Strandberg might end up a flash in the pan!

Last edited:
Unless it’s a Strandberg. Then it’s a $900-$1000 Cort for $2000-$3000.
It may be, I’ve never played a Strandberg but their innovation and unique design elements deserve a premium imo.

How much that should add to the price, idk..

Although they are made in smaller numbers, It should have basic guitar playability and QC for sure.

It may be, I’ve never played a Strandberg but their innovation and unique design elements deserve a premium imo.
Absolutely. It's an innovative guitar. Unfortunately I can't play them, but it's easy to see what they're going for.

Back