Korea vs Indonesia (QC etc.)

GuitarJon

Roadie
A lot of people think that Korean made LTDs and Schecters are better than the Indonesian made guitars. I want to open a discussion here and hear from you what your thoughts are and what some of your experiences are. It would be interesting to know what the general consensus is on this subject.

I have some LTDs of the same model from both Korea and Indonesia so I wanted to use those as some real world examples. Just to share my experiences:

I've found that the stuff coming out of Indonesia today is up to the same snuff as korean produced guitars 10-15 years ago

Heck, even the MIC epi sheraton I used to have I would place in the same quality category

I haven't really encountered many guitars still MIK in 2023, seems like the output is way down in favor of indonesia?

I've found that the stuff coming out of Indonesia today is up to the same snuff as korean produced guitars 10-15 years ago

Heck, even the MIC epi sheraton I used to have I would place in the same quality category

I haven't really encountered many guitars still MIK in 2023, seems like the output is way down in favor of indonesia?

I've noticed that as well. ESP and Schecter still make guitars in Korea but definitely not as much as before

It’s seems like there is a ~5 year ramp up when they start manufacturing in a new place. Mexico seemed not great at first for Fender, but now they are cranking out great guitars - seems the same for early Korea, China, Indonesia etc.

I think the other thing is the actual specs the guitar makers ask for - I think that has a bigger impact - the factory will be happy to build a higher quality product if the company wants to pay what it costs.

I've got two Indonesian made guitars. An Ibanez BTB33 bass and a Schecter Coupe Hollowbody. Both are really well made.

My 1990 Fenix LP copy made in South Korea is less impressive. Original electronics were horrible and a few of the inlays are slightly off center. Granted it's not fair to compare to a much older guitar like that and even the Fenix is built right where it counts.

My take has always been that wood is wood. Mostly Canadian by the way.
There are builders in all countries that care about their craftsmanship and conversely there are pissed off people in all countries that hate their lives and can't wait to punch the clock and hit the tavern. My Indonesian guitars are some of the finest I have owned, wolfgangs and sterlings. I dumped my American fender as my Mexican was way better in every way. I have owned some horrible guitars from many different countries so like I said, I think it is dependent on the luthier and the wood.
I still have a few north American built guitars but I have no sense that they are better in any way as I have had some $3k pieces of garbage that I sold off.
As a side note I always buy used as I've had some nightmares with wood twisting with new gear. If a guitar hasn't twisted in 10 years through the Canadian season changes, it's usually pretty stable.

Last edited:
I’ve had awesome luck with both, my Solar is an Indo and the SZ and Spector are Korean, I can’t think of anything to nitpick about either. No one could tell the country of origin from playing them.

I have an Indonesian Washburn Trevor Rabin, and the quality is great. I have a Koren Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Black Limba, and the quality there is also great.

I think the one huge difference I've noticed is the availability of guitars with stainless steel frets. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty if you want stainless steel, you have to buy Korean. That's something I've realized I absolutely need, since I guess my left hand is vice-like when I'm fretting haha. The weird thing is, now that I think of it, I've seen some of these incredibly inexpensive Amazon guitars like Eart and M Musi out of China have stainless steel frets, so that makes me think there are probably Indonesian guitars with them too that I haven't noticed yet.

But yeah, I don't trust any guitar, USA or anywhere else, by it's country of manufacture. I've got to have my hands on it.

I have an Indonesian Washburn Trevor Rabin, and the quality is great. I have a Koren Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder Black Limba, and the quality there is also great.

I think the one huge difference I've noticed is the availability of guitars with stainless steel frets. I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty if you want stainless steel, you have to buy Korean. That's something I've realized I absolutely need, since I guess my left hand is vice-like when I'm fretting haha. The weird thing is, now that I think of it, I've seen some of these incredibly inexpensive Amazon guitars like Eart and M Musi out of China have stainless steel frets, so that makes me think there are probably Indonesian guitars with them too that I haven't noticed yet.

But yeah, I don't trust any guitar, USA or anywhere else, by it's country of manufacture. I've got to have my hands on it.

Fwiw, my Indo LTD and Schecters also have stainless steel frets!

there are different gauges of stainless steel though. I did a fret job on a stainless steel fretted guitar and the frets sanded like butter. I asked my local expert about that and he filled me in that not all stainless are the same grade, which completely complicates matters.

Im fairly certain this is wrong,
My Strandbergs (one retails for 2600 the other for 4400) as well as my Harley Bentons(27espectively), have stainless steel and are Indonesian.

What a dumb question! It’s about particular factories and the build budget. Also I can get two more examples and the results will be different. Consistency goes down with the cost and even high end models still vary by at least the wood selection so you can only ever really talk about the one in front of you.

Last edited:
The comparison by countries makes no sense at all. There are good luthiers and good CNC machines everywhere. And there are turd woods and sloppy QC everywhere. I had to get rid of two USA Suhrs. One was a lifeless log, and the other had an incurable dead note.

I've built a surprisingly good guitar with a $78 scalloped neck and a $49 body from AliExpress (adding an original Floyd Rose and Harmonic Design Z90 pickups). Excellent playability and resonance.

Don't look at the country of origin, the price tag, or the brand. Just play it!

Made in China at its best:
20231208_154333.jpg

Attachments

• 20231208_154333.jpg
    20231208_154333.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Every MIK Reverend I’ve picked up has been perfect.
But that’s the factory and the budget. Yes they are pretty good usually. It’s worth looking at brands that come out it the main Cort factory Indonesia to see the effects of budget.

The comparison by countries makes no sense at all. There are good luthiers and good CNC machines everywhere. And there are turd woods and sloppy QC everywhere. I had to get rid of two USA Suhrs. One was a lifeless log, and the other had an incurable dead note.

I've built a surprisingly good guitar with a $78 scalloped neck and a $49 body from AliExpress (adding an original Floyd Rose and Harmonic Design Z90 pickups). Excellent playability and resonance.

Don't look at the country of origin, the price tag, or the brand. Just play it!

Made in China at its best:
View attachment 15352
Those are Sweet!! I have been thinking about making a parts Telecaster. Care to share any additional details?

I own two MI-Indonesia guitars, a Yamaha Pacifica Tele supposed to be a Mike Stern model and a Schecter Nick Johnston.

Only bought the Pacifica because a) I had no Tele at that time and b) the neck was absolutely fantastic (possibly still the best feeling neck of all times for me). Had to rip out the entire electronics and also replaced the tuners (in favour of Sperzels), so with the guitar coming in at €200, the Sperzels, two pickups (Duncan mini HB for the neck, DiMarzio Area for the bridge), a new pickguard and some Graphtech saddles I ended up with overall costs of around €600. Not all that cheap anymore but given that it became my #1 live guitar for around 2 years still pretty decent. Doesn't sound much like a real Tele, though (too bad, because that's what I could do with atm).

Bought the Schecter (for €666 used) because I wanted a new allround HSS strat. Had to replace the SCs (in favour of Fender Noiseless first, since yesterday Kinman in neck position, had those on the shelf anyway) and even exchanged the vibrato in favour of a Gotoh 510 (the Schecter one is fine, but I'm a total vibrato nerd) and Graphtech saddels. So, in case I'd bought the pickups, that'd be around somewhat less than €1k.
That very guitar is my #1 since over a year by now, so I'd say it's money well spent (it pushed both my Anderson semihollow droptop and a G&L Legacy from the throne).

All in all, what I'm saying is that from my experience, the core parts of whatever far east guitars have really gotten better in case you don't buy supercheap (and even in that case you may have some positive surprise), but you may as well have to invest some more money to actually make them sound great. Which, in my case, was especially true for the pickups. The ones in that Pacifica were beyond horrible - I actually trashed them (nobody wanted them for free). And the SCs in the Schecter were so bad they actually soldered a cap onto each of them (wtf?!?) by default, simply because these are the shrillest affairs ever without those caps.
Same things are known for Harley Benton guitars. Some of them are really gorgeous - minus the pickups. Also, as I know from a friend who pretty much retired his custom shop Tele in favour of a Harley Benton (/w new electronics), the frets don't exactly seem to last. The guitar itself however is good enough so he had it refretted with SS frets and plek'ed, go figure!

Those are Sweet!! I have been thinking about making a parts Telecaster. Care to share any additional details?
I bought the neck from wangguitar1980 Store
They are specialized in necks. Mine was well built, with the frets nicely finished. Now I see that they have added some Canadian Maple flame roasted necks that look quite good

And the body from v-glorify respectable shop Poplar. Long live Poplar! this one has outstanding resonance
They also have some necks and already built guitars, but no scalloped necks

I guess that what you finally get could be a question of luck. But worth the price if you like to experiment.

I had to do some work. More details here:

1702040038021.jpeg
1702040054860.jpeg

Also mention that a comparison based in a couple of samples is unreliable, and statistically invalid. That is just an individual anecdote. You should test hundreds or thousands of samples and breakdown the results by factory, brand, model and price range. And yet that study would be useless to take a sound decision based on country of origin.

Last edited:
Back