Keyboard vs Controller vs Sanity (Is the Roland Fantom 06 or Juno D6 any good?)

Update: 78% to 22%

:rofl
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I went from getting a Behringer Pro-800 to fuck around with to now owning a Hydrasynth, a Wavestate and a eurorack case that's slowly filling up. I'm going to have to purge a bunch of guitar gear to fund this addiction. It's a slippery slope.
:columbo

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I went from getting a Behringer Pro-800 to fuck around with to now owning a Hydrasynth, a Wavestate and a eurorack case that's slowly filling up. I'm going to have to purge a bunch of guitar gear to fund this addiction. It's a slippery slope.
:columbo

Feel that. Im not going to purge any guitar gear for this, just debating how hard to go on my first real big boy key/synth. I’ve dabbled with a Minilogue XD and a Polyend Play+ but would like to get something decent to throw into my setup.

Happy 80S GIF

Too good not to share again.

Welcome to the Synth Dojo. :banana

I picked up a new multi-tiered rack/stand for the digital ivories. You really need multiple
synths/keys so you can have one that is a dialed in Hammond B3, another that is a Grand
Piano, and a 3rd and 4th that are Sawtooth Synth and Strings, respectively.

:rollsafe

Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

I picked up a new multi-tiered rack/stand for the digital ivories. You really need multiple
synths/keys so you can have one that is a dialed in Hammond B3, another that is a Grand
Piano, and a 3rd and 4th that are Sawtooth Synth and Strings, respectively.

:rollsafe

Jodie Foster Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

What synth/keys do you have in your collection if you don’t mind me asking? Having gone down this road, any advice?

I went down the synth rabbit hole a few years ago. It’s started with the Korg Monologue and went from there.

Bought:
Korg Monologue
Novation Circuit
Korg Prologue
Elektron Model:Samples
Roland MC101
Korg NTS1
NI Komplete Kontrol M32
Arturia Keystep

I’ve since sold the monologue, circuit, and elektron. I love the Prologue - it’s just nice to have an analog polysynth - plus it’s bitimbral which is pretty cool. I kept the MC101 as it’s cool having the Roland sounds but I keep hoping they update it to support the Zenology model packs. For everything else I use the Komplete Kontrol with plugins. I also have a Machine Mikro I’ve had for years that pairs well with the KK.

My recommendation is to get an analog polysynth that you love the sound of that you can also use as a controller for all the other sounds you want from plugins.

What synth/keys do you have in your collection if you don’t mind me asking? Having gone down this road, any advice?

I am no @TJontheRoad . :rofl

Just a neophyte. :beer

I did the analog synth thing some years back (desktop and key-based Moog and Korg), but they ended up
not being versatile enough for what I wanted, so now I am more into keys/samplers/workstation platform.
Also dabbled in the Mini-Synths like the MiniNova, MicroBrute, and MicroKorg. Those are cool.

I still have an M-Audio Venom, a Yamaha DJX, a Yamaha MM6, and a Yamaha MX49. Love having access to great
Piano Samples from Yamaha's Motif engine.

I feel like 61 keys is an happy medium. I find with the 49 key platform and I use the Octave Up and Down
features quite a bit.

I'll be adding one or two more here in the near-term. You can pretty much source any cool keyboard or
workstation for 50% off retail on the used market.

I am not a massive tweaker on keys or with guitars. I like easy and instant. Give me the sounds/samples
and I can generally find something that I can enjoy with minimal fuss.

Sounds like you are on the right track with the Juno6. I mean Fantom6. :beer

Last edited:
As cool as analog poly synths are, if you actually want real pianos and strings and also be able to do classic synth sounds etc in a hardware unit, you'll want something digital and versatile enough to do samples and virtual analog. So a workstation would probably be a good choice?

As cool as analog poly synths are, if you actually want real pianos and strings and also be able to do classic synth sounds etc in a hardware unit, you'll want something digital and versatile enough to do samples and virtual analog. So a workstation would probably be a good choice?

Yeah I’m thinking Roland Fantom 06 for that reason. As awesome as the Muse sounds, I think the Fantom probably gets the diversity of sounds that I was originally aiming for. (Standard pianos, strings, brass etc)

Yeah I’m thinking Roland Fantom 06 for that reason. As awesome as the Muse sounds, I think the Fantom probably gets the diversity of sounds that I was originally aiming for. (Standard pianos, strings, brass etc)
If you’re looking for bread and butter sounds, Fantom is a good choice. Given you were possibly already inclined to spend Muse money, I’d suggest skipping the 0 series and jump into the EX. You get everything without limiting yourself. And the EX an excellent keyboard and DAW controller.

Back