Keyboard vs Controller vs Sanity (Is the Roland Fantom 06 or Juno D6 any good?)

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I want to work in keys to my recording setup. Was thinking about going the controller route and then triggering plugs in the daw, but then got to thinking I might not use said thing often if it’s only tied to having a computer on. So then started looking at keyboards. F**king rabbit hole. Hard to know what’s a toy vs good vs overkill.

So what do I want? Piano varieties, strings, synth pop type sounds etc. I had a Korg Minilogue XD a couple years ago, but kinda hated the thing. You have to dork out with filters and wave shapers and all that shit, and once you do finally manage to get something usable for that 2 second stab track… that’s one tone and you need to dial another… and it never ends. I’m never going back down that route where I have to try to build everything from scratch. I think I want a glorified preset player where the stock tones for each type of instrument are already dialed in, and if I ever want to modify it I can, but not as a pre-req.

Anyway I started looking at the new Juno D6 and reading YouTube comments (the absolute worst) “where’s the Super Natural engine duh” led me to the Roland Fantom 06. Look low key badass. Core tones seem nice. Scenes, sequencing, drum machines, kind of a complete workstation. (Wonder how hard it is to use) But, this is also not $100, like a controller :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, just curious how you guys went about adding keys/synths to your rigs. Controllers vs keyboards.

Anyone have experience with the new Juno D6 or Fantom series stuff.

I am a Keys over Controller guy. I want to be able to use them outside the studio, too.

Most of the cool Keys can double as Controllers, too. As you know, not a vice versa scenario,
though.

The other consideration is Plug-Ins/VSTs and loading down your system---which you don't have
to worry about with an Hardware unit.

Next question is, "How many Keys is too many, and how many is not enough?" :LOL:

All boils down to our own unique needs, though, as always. :idk

Feel can be a big consideration, too---unless someone is a plinker and plunker and just chicken pecks
the keys. :idk The more spendy options are going to have a better weighted/semi-weighted feel to
the keys and also give you some dynamics and sensitivity.

I feel you Whizz. I've been back and forth on this as well. Definitely another rabbit hole to go down. :LOL:
Over the years I've just used a midi controller like the Alesis Q49 with software synths in Kontakt. Works well enough. But if you want the feel of a real piano there are many out there. Heck, I also just use a cheap Yamaha keyboard to get sounds in the DAW for further manipulation. But having a great keyboard with great built-in tones can be a plus for a more 'no-hassle' approach.

I am a Keys over Controller guy. I want to be able to use them outside the studio, too.

Most of the cool Keys can double as Controllers, too. As you know, not a vice versa scenario,
though.

The other consideration is Plug-Ins/VSTs and loading down your system---which you don't have
to worry about with an Hardware unit.

Next question is, "How many Keys is too many, and how many is not enough?" :LOL:

All boils down to our own unique needs, though, as always. :idk

Yeah, I like the idea of offloading processing from my computer and being able to riff without having to deal with a computer.

And I feel that on size regardless of controller or keyboard. Finding the perfect spot between not being cramped and not taking up valuable amp and cabinet room is tough :ROFLMAO:

I feel you Whizz. I've been back and forth on this as well. Definitely another rabbit hole to go down. :LOL:
Over the years I've just used a midi controller like the Alesis Q49 with software synths in Kontakt. Works well enough. But if you want the feel of a real piano there are many out there. Heck, I also just use a cheap Yamaha keyboard to get sounds in the DAW for further manipulation. But having a great keyboard with great built-in tones can be a plus for a more 'no-hassle' approach.

I’d like the keys to be decent but they don’t need to be amazing, but the second you start looking at this crap you become a 30 minute YouTube expert “YOU DONT EVEN POLYPHONIC AFTERTOUCH BRO?”

The GM800 was one of the last casualties I had before I finally decided to adhere to “Only buy, never sell” :cry: I could have just midi controlled that. Live and learn.

@TJontheRoad You have an opinion on those synths?
I own a Fantom 6 (now called the EX after the last firmware update). It’s a beast. I’m now configuring it for a live gig. It’s basically overkill for this show but I’ll never get caught without the sounds I need if called upon.

The 0 series and the new D series don’t have the EX premium keybed or aftertouch. The 0 series have the same engines but you need to pay for the expansions. It also has less onboard memory. The D series only has the Zencore engine like the GM800. There’s some other differences between but I’ve not really investigated them.

The 0 series is good bang for buck. The D series is a budget live board it would seem.

Waldorf Iridium 49, poly after touch keybed is so sweet. It makes a good controller and has a really broad spectrum of synthesis types on board.
But don’t buy new from US as there is some kind of artificial price increase involved due to some kind of corporate weasel interference.
Even after paying the import duty stuff you save about a $1000 buying from European source. Or buy a used one, I think mine used was about what you would pay for that Fantom 6 new.

Waldorf Iridium 49, poly after touch keybed is so sweet. It makes a good controller and has a really broad spectrum of synthesis types on board.
But don’t buy new from US as there is some kind of artificial price increase involved due to some kind of corporate weasel interference.
Even after paying the import duty stuff you save about a $1000 buying from European source. Or buy a used one, I think mine used was about what you would pay for that Fantom 6 new.

I’m looking at the Fantom 06, the 6 version is way more costly than I could justify. (TBF I probably shouldn’t drop 06 money on a keyboard but yolo or something) Their naming conventions are so confusing. lol

When your controller vs keyboard search leads to a $3,500 8-voice bitimbral polyphonic analog synthesizer? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sweet jeebus that thing sounds amazing. WOW.

Muse, as cool as it is, would probably be a poor controller. There are reports that it doesn’t have very good velocity response. A firmware fix is needed.

Muse, as cool as it is, would probably be a poor controller. There are reports that it doesn’t have very good velocity response. A firmware fix is needed.

Would people buy that to be a controller? That thing sounds glorious.

Back