Jim Lill: "In-the-room tone doesn't matter" and he's absolutely right

This pretty much sums it up

I wonder how much music throughout history has been written....... in a room :eek::eek::eek:

I guess none of it ever mattered until it was recorded, according to lil :cop

The guy is a straight up grifter. Making clickbait videos about how this and that doesn't matter etc then monetizing them and buying Tom Anderson guitars and boutique amps.

The little country video there he has about 15K worth of gear around him.. and still manages to sound like a goddamn KFC commercial.

Wake me up when he's gigging the table guitar or whatever contraption he is making "for science".

EDIT: grifter might be a stretch. Admittedly I don't know his intentions.
But it's EXTREMELY disingenuous. He's surrounded by top notch, high dollar gear. He knows it matters.

Last edited:
Besides that, what is it about the message you don't like?
I've been in the front row for some amazing bands at small venues where the guitars weren't mic'd up. I had an absolute blast listening to the band as a whole, and the live guitar tone was a major part of that. Sucks for anyone else that wasn't there to enjoy it, but I was, and those memories are valuable to me - don't care if anyone else can't appreciate that.

Once I hit my late 70's and start getting dementia, I probably won't remember any of those shows, and will forget how to put on panties. But until then, rock will never diiiiieeeeeeeee.

Ultimately, I'm extremely burnt out on the YT guitarist phenomenon. So that's clouding my judgement - or perhaps making it clearer - and I'm not finding a lot of value in the vast majority of them.

They're all trying to turn themselves into influencers and trend setters, in order to make a quick buck. It's fucking boring. Very few of them write decent music to begin with.

Don't be a c**t mate.

I don't consider his video "information" - I consider it "entertainment" for armchair psychologist wannabe wankers.

I never said I wanted it candy coated. I never judged the original video across any genre lines. That only came into it when I said it was boring, and to let me know when he's written something that knocks my pants off (IE: makes my balls swell).

Someone else presented a video as a sort of "gotcha!" response... except it didn't work. It was utterly f*****g cringe to me.

It wouldn't make annnnny f*****g difference to me if it was the lord and saviour Adam Jones himself making the video; I'd still reject it as the facile nonsense that it is.

Yep it's me being the jerk for pointing out that you barge into the thread to say the subject is irrelevant because it's not specifically all about swelling your balls with awesome riffs that you personally like. Do you also walk into grocery stores and berate the manager because the place doesn't have a live metal band playing kick ass riffs that swell your balls? Because that makes about as much sense. This isn't a thread for that kind of thing, just like the grocery store isn't that kind of place.

As far as the video being info vs entertainment, I mean, it's both. As for the "cringe" guitar playing, if you hear that and can't recognize that the dude has chops, whether you like country music or not, then there's nothing more to talk about with you because it's a waste of time to keep talking to somebody unable to mentally separate concepts like "recognizing that somebody is a good guitar player" and "playing stuff I personally like in my favorite genre" so I guess probably would be my fault for keeping up the conversation.

Last edited:
Yep it's me being the jerk for pointing out that you barge into the thread to say the subject is irrelevant because it's not specifically all about swelling your balls with awesome riffs that you personally like. Do you also walk into grocery stores and berate the manager because the place doesn't have a live metal band playing kick ass riffs that swell your balls? Because that makes about as much sense. This isn't a thread for that kind of thing, just like the grocery store isn't that kind of place.

Then again I'm talking to a guy who can't seem to separate "being good at guitar" with "playing stuff I personally like in my favorite genre" so I guess probably would be my fault for keeping up the conversation.
1679431607661.jpeg

I wonder when his fanbois will realize that if he actually believed half the shit he says he wouldn't be plugging $5k Teles into $4k 20w combos.

It's pretty much the guitar version of the televangelist that preaches humility then drives home in a Bentley. No wonder people are comparing him to Jesus lol

The big one that people go on about is the video where he "proves" that nothing matters in the sound of a guitar other than the pickup and the strings, ending with said items strung between two workbenches.

He starts off by comparing an expensive and a cheap guitar through a flat, scratchy amp sound. Even with the crappy amptone... they sound different. He says they don't sound that different.

Then he takes the cheap one, which sounds shit, and still using the same flat, scratchy amp sound he starts comparing that to gradually deconstructed guitar models until he gets to the bench guitar.

100,000 guitarists take to forums proclaiming that nothing matters.

Well... about 100 of them.... all across the same forums.... with alt-accounts because they keep getting banned for not loving the Quad Cortex..... all talking to themselves instead of writing music, because they can't.

The big one that people go on about is the video where he "proves" that nothing matters in the sound of a guitar other than the pickup and the strings, ending with said items strung between two workbenches.

He starts off by comparing an expensive and a cheap guitar through a flat, scratchy amp sound. Even with the crappy amptone... they sound different. He says they don't sound that different.

Then he takes the cheap one, which sounds s**t, and still using the same flat, scratchy amp sound he starts comparing that to gradually deconstructed guitar models until he gets to the bench guitar.

lol I started this thread and even I thought that guitar video of his was BS. I'm not a huge Jim Lill fan or whatever, I just think he hit the nail on the head with his latest video, which is what this thread is about. It's something I agree with and have talked about for a long time, so I posted it.

Jim Lill's nice and his videos are fine, dude clearly tries super hard and doesn't yell at the camera. I just get inordinately annoyed at what inevitably happens on the forums after one of his videos lands, which says more about me than anything else.

Jim Lill's nice and his videos are fine, dude clearly tries super hard and doesn't yell at the camera. I just get inordinately annoyed at what inevitably happens on the forums after one of his videos lands
All of this.

Back