Jim Lill: "In-the-room tone doesn't matter" and he's absolutely right

Do Not Give Me That Episode 5 GIF by Crunchyroll

Fraid not.

It just aint my bag. Insto-cringe, if I'm being perfectly frank with you. I skimmed through it to see if it got better. It didn't.
The guitar playing or the other vid?

I get that his vids aren't everybody's cup o' tea, and I get that country guitar is a ... seriously niche thing.

I don't get the personal hate, or the pretending like the guy is anything like Glenn Fricker.

Like 'em or not, his videos are well made and reasonably well thought out, not just "content" for content's sake.

And the playing in that video -
some of the guitar playing was lifted note-for-note from the players, others don't seem to be, but all represent better playing within his chosen genre, and a better understanding of his chosen genre as a field, than I think I've heard from any player posting in these forums. By a country mile.

I get that his vids aren't everybody's cup o' tea, and I get that country guitar is a ... seriously niche thing.

I don't get the personal hate, or the pretending like the guy is anything like Glenn Fricker.

Like 'em or not, his videos are well made and reasonably well thought out, not just "content" for content's sake.

some of the guitar playing was lifted note-for-note from the players, others don't seem to be, but all represent better playing within his chosen genre, and a better understanding of his chosen genre as a field, than I think I've heard from any player posting in these forums. By a country mile.
He has some chops in that second vid.

Sure, he's got chops. I don't deny it. But it doesn't matter how good he is, or how much better you think he is than anyone around here, or even across the planet... the (slightly sardonic) request was riffs that make balls swell; ie - riffs that sound utterly huge.

Ergo - I was never gonna like it, or appreciate it. Coz it isn't my thing. And no amount of sitting on the fence admiring his technique is gonna change that.

And I do like some country stuff - Murder By Death are one of my all time favourite bands for instance - but there's nothing in that video that changes my opinion on his "science" videos being a snorefest, and nothing that would make me go and buy one of his CD's (those are still a thing right?? Right??!)

Doesn't really matter how well thought out his videos are either. I get more from a rotating seal playing a pretend saxophone!

It's okay. Good for the goose and gander and all that... if you think my stuff is shit, feel free. Not everyone has to like everything! Some people just don't grab you, and that is perfectly a-okay with me.

He's far more pleasant than fricker, but his videos are still mid and the people that gobble it all up like it's a scientific journal with a sense of misplaced smugness and superiority are irritating AF

Sure, he's got chops. I don't deny it. But it doesn't matter how good he is, or how much better you think he is than anyone around here, or even across the planet... the (slightly sardonic) request was riffs that make balls swell; ie - riffs that sound utterly huge.

Ergo - I was never gonna like it, or appreciate it. Coz it isn't my thing. And no amount of sitting on the fence admiring his technique is gonna change that.

And I do like some country stuff - Murder By Death are one of my all time favourite bands for instance - but there's nothing in that video that changes my opinion on his "science" videos being a snorefest, and nothing that would make me go and buy one of his CD's (those are still a thing right?? Right??!)

Doesn't really matter how well thought out his videos are either. I get more from a rotating seal playing a pretend saxophone!

It's okay. Good for the goose and gander and all that... if you think my stuff is s**t, feel free. Not everyone has to like everything! Some people just don't grab you, and that is perfectly a-okay with me.
That's all fine. I feel similar to, say, Pavoratti. My point is simply that not liking Pavoratti doesn't mean I'm gonna hate on him personally, or worse, compare him to Glenn.

He's certainly nailed the format for making engaging videos. Every time I watch one of these, I think, "Ten minutes! To hell with that. I'll watch the first 30 seconds..." and then I get sucked in.

That's all fine. I feel similar to, say, Pavoratti. My point is simply that not liking Pavoratti doesn't mean I'm gonna hate on him personally, or worse, compare him to Glenn.
Sure, but I didn't do that. So I'm puzzled why you initially responded to me.

It's okay. Good for the goose and gander and all that... if you think my stuff is s**t, feel free. Not everyone has to like everything! Some people just don't grab you, and that is perfectly a-okay with me.

So, you think his video about "recorded being more important to chase than in-the-room tone" is useless... because it's not exciting information to you personally... because the message is not couched entirely within music from your preferred genre? Seriously?

I don't think Jim Lill should present his subjective opinions as some sort of absolute fact.

I don't think that many people (other than those that picked up the guitar in the last month maybe) are confused about the nature/reality of recorded tones on an album, and again I don't think anyone is really asking the question that he's "answering" (and I use that word loosely).

That's cool, if nothing matters but mixed and mastered recorded tone to him. But that's awful silly and close minded and dismisses a monumental amount of the musical/musician experience. Both as a listener and a player.

So, you think his video about "recorded being more important to chase than in-the-room tone" is useless... because it's not exciting information to you personally... because the message is not couched entirely within music from your preferred genre? Seriously?
Yeah, pretty much.

This is how people work. *shrug*

EDIT:
Actually, no. Fuck that.

It wouldn't matter if the message was couched in my preferred genre. It aint about that.

I don't think Jim Lill should present his subjective opinions as some sort of absolute fact.

I don't think that many people (other than those that picked up the guitar in the last month maybe) are confused about the nature/reality of recorded tones on an album, and again I don't think anyone is really asking the question that he's "answering" (and I use that word loosely).

That's cool, if nothing matters but mixed and mastered recorded tone to him. But that's awful silly and close minded and dismisses a monumental amount of the musical/musician experience. Both as a listener and a player.
yeah imagine if recorded tone mattered when you were recording
live tone mattered when you were playing live
and tone in the room mattered when you were jamming in a room.

What a crazy notion that is.

This guy is a doofus and his fanbois make the whole thing even more irritating. Science for illiterates.

Yeah, pretty much.

This is how people work. *shrug*

EDIT:
Actually, no. f**k that.

It wouldn't matter if the message was couched in my preferred genre. It aint about that.

I mean... refusing to consider information because it's not candy coated in stuff you already like to pacify you isn't how people work, it's how toddlers work.

Besides that, what is it about the message you don't like?

I mean... refusing to consider information because it's not candy coated in stuff you already like to pacify you isn't how people work, it's how toddlers work.
Don't be a c*nt mate.

I don't consider his video "information" - I consider it "entertainment" for armchair psychologist wannabe wankers.

I never said I wanted it candy coated. I never judged the original video across any genre lines. That only came into it when I said it was boring, and to let me know when he's written something that knocks my pants off (IE: makes my balls swell).

Someone else presented a video as a sort of "gotcha!" response... except it didn't work. It was utterly fucking cringe to me.

It wouldn't make annnnny fucking difference to me if it was the lord and saviour Adam Jones himself making the video; I'd still reject it as the facile nonsense that it is.

yeah imagine if recorded tone mattered when you were recording
live tone mattered when you were playing live
and tone in the room mattered when you were jamming in a room.

What a crazy notion that is.

This guy is a doofus and his fanbois make the whole thing even more irritating. Science for illiterates.

This pretty much sums it up

I wonder how much music throughout history has been written....... in a room :eek::eek::eek:

I guess none of it ever mattered until it was recorded, according to lil :cop

Back