Jim Lill: "In-the-room tone doesn't matter" and he's absolutely right

If you were with me instead of him, you'd be counting the orgasms.
7fqm14.jpg

In the room sound is the source and what we are trying to record with the best of our ability and tools so other people can experience it too.
How it sounded in that room to ME in that specific moment in time is temporary as fuck, things like humidity, temperature, listening position, level of intoxication, well being and mood changes that.

Are both important to me?: Yes, because I experience both first hand.
Are both important to you?: Probably not, unless you are a very caring human being and wish me only the best of tones in every room.

For example, I have no idea how Lil Jim's Marshall sounded in that forest except from what I hear recorded in his youtube video, but I do care and maybe slightly envious of what he got to experience with that fully cranked Marshall near a camp fire.
The recorded tone was shit, the other tone was probably a hit? I don't know, I'm not Lil Jim and that moment is long gone.

theres not much to disagree with in this vid…except the conclusion ;-)
I mean..the vid disregards the value of your stage sound. To me that’s more then recreationa. It adds value cause a better sound is more fun/deepens the experience…maybe I even play better..maybe even my co players.
Sure…that will never transfer to foh or a recording without a mic…maybe no one besides the guys on stage will ever hear it.

Also I can’t help to think that what we get to hear/admire…is a result of what “the master” chased(a nice sound from his amp)…maybe not what the master wanted to sounds like on a recording.

I finally ran the roadster and JVM in stereo today and it was possibly the most satisfying sound I’ve ever heard

In the room

To discredit that joy as “not mattering” is insulting at best

Obviously as a shit tier local band it’s not a practical set up live. You can bet your ass I’ll be utilizing thst blend next time I record though

But in any case that in room sound is far more meaningfu, important, and inspiring than any studio recording will ever be

As a matter of fact Jim, when I talk about my favorite tones it is indeed a description of inanimate objects I encountered in the room. Not boring processed studio recordings of pop country acts :cop

I finally ran the roadster and JVM in stereo today and it was possibly the most satisfying sound I’ve ever heard

In the room

To discredit that joy as “not mattering” is insulting at best

Obviously as a s**t tier local band it’s not a practical set up live. You can bet your ass I’ll be utilizing thst blend next time I record though

But in any case that in room sound is far more meaningfu, important, and inspiring than any studio recording will ever be

As a matter of fact Jim, when I talk about my favorite tones it is indeed a description of inanimate objects I encountered in the room. Not boring processed studio recordings of pop country acts :cop

you gotta get the mimiq pedal dude, you wont want to play without it with two amps

yeah its really super cool, its like jamming with yourself as a second guitar player, i wish i had one when i was the only guitar player in my band

Between that and the live looping…. :idea

Could be some epic results. I’ll have to pick one up here

Back