Jim Lill: "In-the-room tone doesn't matter" and he's absolutely right

Mash Up Cat GIF

I do exactly the same.

I took Jim's video as an open admission that he's never been to a proper rock show.
yes, it's crazy talk, honestly. I NEVER had any issues getting a tone that I like on stage and sounds good in the FOH within minutes or even seconds. Small venue, large venue, my rig, backline rig whatever.. it's a non-issue. I don't even consider this a skill or anything to brag about.
Anyone who has trouble dialing the rig to sound good to them and the audience probably needs more than YT videos. The word practice comes to mind.

There's a say that goes "good bands mix themselves" and it's true. If you walk into the rehearsal room of a great sounding band like say ACDC you better believe they will sound glorious right then and there.

Also, my experience both from playing and watching recording of my gigs is is that the "we'll fix it in the mixer" type of sound guys are never the best mixes we get.
Usually the guys who understand how rock bands work, allow the band to get a good sound and have the skills to transport that sound to the FOH without neutering the stage are the best guys I've worked it both from a player and audience perspective.

I think this guy (Jim) is really spreading a bunch of misinformation out there about where tone comes from etc, using "scientific" methods so flawed they wouldn't pass 4th grade science class and people are eating this garbage up like its Gospel.

Try a mirror. There might some evidence there.
Utter nonsense. I've criticized one or more aspect of every one of these videos, including this one.

You, in the other hand, have alleged all sorts of stuff about the guys intentions based on...who knows what? You've said he's using YouTube revenue to pay for his "boutique" guitar - my recollection from one of his early vids was his Tom Anderson was a high school graduation present. Even a half-hearted effort to try to estimate his "profit margin" on these videos shows that he's at best made a few thousand bucks. Which honestly, his cab video is absolutely worth on its own.

He makes interesting and entertaining videos, but I disagree with the premise.

Yes, every great guitar tone was recorded using a microphone.

But every time you play that recording, you are listening through a speaker. And if you aren't using headphones, you are listening to...

A speaker (amp) in a room.
Well, if you’re listening to the music recorded on a guitar amp with a microphone, on a speaker in a room, you’re listening to it on a …..baby PA. Unless you’re piping the recording through your guitar cab, which would be weird.

Well, if you’re listening to the music recorded on a guitar amp with a microphone, on a speaker in a room, you’re listening to it on a …..baby PA. Unless you’re piping the recording through your guitar cab, which would be weird.

Moved into new digs one time, completely empty house except for my horrible Sunn 2 x 12 combo and some other stuff for a few nights.

Put a yellow Sony walkman (cassettes man) with an adapter plugged right into the normal jack. Turn it up.

Had tunes baby!

huge flowers in the dirt GIF by Paul McCartney

Moved into new digs one time, completely empty house except for my horrible Sunn 2 x 12 combo and some other stuff for a few nights.

Put a yellow Sony walkman (cassettes man) with an adapter plugged right into the normal jack. Turn it up.

Had tunes baby!

huge flowers in the dirt GIF by Paul McCartney
But then you’re putting a mic’d cabinet through another cabinet, basically. Like leaving the IR’s on.

But then you’re putting a mic’d cabinet through another cabinet, basically. Like leaving the IR’s on.

Dude… Step back a little bit… this is like 1985 … I’m poor with no other way to play music while I move/work around the empty house.

I never said it sounded like a nice stereo lol 😂

Dance Dancing GIF by AFV Pets

We still doing this? :popcorn

I feel like a disinterested female not getting paid poorly for sex hoping the son of a bitch
on top of me gets off well before I finish counting all the motherfucking ceiling tiles on the
ceiling. :whistle

Sometimes I fear
We still doing this? :popcorn

I feel like a disinterested female not getting paid poorly for sex hoping the son of a b*tch
on top of me gets off well before I finish counting all the motherfucking ceiling tiles on the
ceiling. :whistle

Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Back