It's not for me , and why ?

Serious answer, I don't think I'd ever write off a company completely, even if I don't like the way the company is ran. Plenty of companies make stuff that are not for me, but what's frustrating is they're "not for me" because they're missing like that last 10% of features I'd want, for what I'm paying. For example, IF UA came out with a pedal that's a killer SLO with all three channels, and could be controlled with MIDI so that you can switch between all three modes, plus bright switch, and it had an effects loop, then that'd be killer, even with just the one amp model (three channels). It's that last bit where it's physically possible, but they leave it out for......simplicity, I guess?

It's that last bit where it's physically possible, but they leave it out for......simplicity, I guess?

Probably more like they had a budget and after adding the must haves for the market they were aiming for (the Neural Capture crowd - I've heard a number of reviewers mention how awesome it is to have such a small box now rather than having to lug the QC around) and at the end of the day they had to compromise on the 'full blown performance device' parts to meet price and release date goals.

Hopefully there's lots of room to add a few more things and increase on the on-board flexibility, but looked at for what it actually is, it's a pretty cool device.

QC - 11.5 x 7 x 4.2 lbs

Nano - 5.5 x 4 x 1.4 lbs

ymmv, imo, blah blah blah

Probably more like they had a budget and after adding the must haves for the market they were aiming for (the Neural Capture crowd - I've heard a number of reviewers mention how awesome it is to have such a small box now rather than having to lug the QC around) and at the end of the day they had to compromise on the 'full blown performance device' parts to meet price and release date goals.

Hopefully there's lots of room to add a few more things and increase on the on-board flexibility, but looked at for what it actually is, it's a pretty cool device.

QC - 11.5 x 7 x 4.2 lbs

Nano - 5.5 x 4 x 1.4 lbs

ymmv, imo, blah blah blah
Sure, I suppose this is a design and market choice, much like the Kemper player. Existing customer expansion vs. attracting new customers. They failed in the latter, for me.

@laxu I love that you did a comparison table! That’s totally something I do in my brain.

Here’s what I would wish for from each company:

Fractal (currently own Axe 3) - love the amp tones, effect quality, and power. Wish the user experience was closer to having an amp and pedals than programming rack gear. If they had hardware and UI like Quad Cortex it’d be perfect.

Helix (currently own HX Stomp but looking at getting a Helix Floor for 4cm effects with my amp) - love the overall experience and the effects quality, good blend of power and simplicity. Amps seem to be missing something tonally, not sure if they need a rewrite or next gen hardware. Would like something with the power of Helix and size of QC.

Boss (previously owned GT-1000 and curious about the GX-100 for 4cm) - love the idea of all the Boss effects and their own amp models with low latency. But tonally I don’t like the amps at all and the effects often sound cheesy. Also really don’t like how they don’t include all the effects of the 500 series or fixed blocks of the GT1k. Wish they would do an overhaul with a better UI and truly bring boss effects to this space.

Neural (currently own QC) - really good hardware that feels very modern, great amp tones, decent effects. They need to build out more effects to compete with others and then add a few more amp models. Highest potential of current hardware imo. Also the marketing team needs to just take a break. Let the products speak for themselves. Nano Cortex needs to include way more effects to be a standalone unit or drop price to $400 if it’s capture only.

Fender (don’t own but would like to try) - seems like a really cool UI and hardware package. Good variety of effects. I don’t trust the amp tones from what I’ve seen from afar and they seem to need more variety there as well. Lots of potential but seems like they need to iron out bugs and mature.

Tonex (had the One) - the bigger unit seems awesome but the little one was a massive pain to use. Because their software is horrendous. If they fixed the software these would be killer. One is a cool problem solver but the full unit has tons of potential in a bigger pedalboard. I’d be curious to try again if they fix the software.

UAFX - haven’t used but they look cool. I can’t bring myself to spend $400 on a fixed amp pedal. If they come out with a multi amp pedal that you can program I’d be a lot more curious but price would be hard to compete with others because then it creeps to full multi effects.

Serious answer, I don't think I'd ever write off a company completely, even if I don't like the way the company is ran. Plenty of companies make stuff that are not for me, but what's frustrating is they're "not for me" because they're missing like that last 10% of features I'd want, for what I'm paying. For example, IF UA came out with a pedal that's a killer SLO with all three channels, and could be controlled with MIDI so that you can switch between all three modes, plus bright switch, and it had an effects loop, then that'd be killer, even with just the one amp model (three channels). It's that last bit where it's physically possible, but they leave it out for......simplicity, I guess?

This is me too. I'm currently rocking an OG non-turbo FM9 and have been happily for going on two years now.

But all of the other competitors that I've owned and sold or never owned at all are only "not for me" for the time being. Even the Quad Cortex, which is made and updated by a consortium of clowns.

There are functionality additions or content additions to each one that could absolutely make me want to give them a shot in 2024/2025.

That being said, everything feels kinda....I don't wanna say old, but established, maybe? Feels like we're set for a new generation of flagships in the next year or two.

This is me too. I'm currently rocking an OG non-turbo FM9 and have been happily for going on two years now.

But all of the other competitors that I've owned and sold or never owned at all are only "not for me" for the time being. Even the Quad Cortex, which is made and updated by a consortium of clowns.

There are functionality additions or content additions to each one that could absolutely make me want to give them a shot in 2024/2025.

That being said, everything feels kinda....I don't wanna say old, but established, maybe? Feels like we're set for a new generation of flagships in the next year or two.

This is a great answer

Also this should be on a shirt

NDSP Quad Cortex made and updated by a consortium of clowns.

Sure, I suppose this is a design and market choice, much like the Kemper player. Existing customer expansion vs. attracting new customers. They failed in the latter, for me.

Absolutely. I'm already inside the Neural ecosystem (the QC I sold 2 years ago is still showing up in my cloud!) so the Nano immediately perked my ears.

And I'm always on the lookout for good delays so it Fractal comes out with a standalone FX box I'm gonna get wood. If it's some sort of player that requires their ecosystem (like the Kemper Player does there's) then I'm gonna bitch and moan. ;)

I think you might need to go shopping as there's an ACS1 Mk2 now, with 3 extra amp models: https://www.walrusaudio.com/collect...acs1-amp-cab-simulator?variant=45823925387499
Nah. I’m good :cool: they’re cool and all… And people will go nuts over the added amps and cabs.
Not me, i came back (to the gear game) with the mindset that I need as little features as possible and less tweaking as possible and I got my ACS1 for 250$ used wich meant I could put money in pedals instead wich is where my primary interest is. Just need one good amp sound really.

I’m always looking at the mid-budget stuff for a cheap backup or live replacement for the Helix Floor/LT but I HAVE to have the ability to have a line out that isn’t effected by the output volume for my IEM setups in my bands. So far the only thing that looks close is the Mooer GE1000. I’m allergic to adding additional pedals/cables/DI boxes or building a board around a modeler to replace the Helix that I can just place on stage and hook up. Also any floor MFX without an EXP might as well be a taco as far as I’m concerned. Don’t make me buy more shit to use all the features on your device. I’m gonna be so obnoxious on here if the Helix successor requires you to buy an EXP pedal just to use a whammy or volume.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that gear forums aren't for me (any more).

The obsessive compulsive buying/selling/re-buying/re-selling along with the hyper focus on minutia just leaves me cold lately.

I get that's the whole point in the first place. But lately, I often just scroll through the topic list without opening any threads. As an FM9 user, the Fractal threads have been a primary interest. But those are pretty unreadable anymore because 90% of posts are bitching about the UI.

Carry on.

I’m always looking at the mid-budget stuff for a cheap backup or live replacement for the Helix Floor/LT but I HAVE to have the ability to have a line out that isn’t effected by the output volume for my IEM setups in my bands.

GT-1000.

You could kinda mimic it with a Stomp, too. But you'd lose a block and it has no EXP.

The one thing that prevents me from selling everything except the Axe FX 3 is that it can be a drag to use at times. Like the FC12 is powerful but I need to sit down and program it fully again and I just am too lazy.

Really what I should do there is just focus in on the one thing and completely dial in one damn thing perfectly.

Back