A couple 500-series builds and acoustic treatment

bikescene

Groupie
I thought I’d share some recent recording-related projects I finished. After completing these, I can move my focus back to some guitar-related DIY.

IMG_5654.jpeg

I finished a Hairball FET/500 Rev D kit at the end of January. It’s a 500-series adaption of an 1176 compressor that goes into a lunchbox power supply. The concept is kind of like the Synergy or Eurorack modules for those unfamiliar. I’ve been using this module for the 1176 sound on drums, although I’d like to run some clean guitar and bass through it one of these days. I had the kit unbuilt since November prior to working on it.

IMG_5912.jpeg

At the end of February, I built a CAPI LC25 EQ kit. It’s based on an API 560 Graphic EQ, but with frequencies based on a Urei 535 Graphic EQ. I wanted to have a hardware EQ to pair with the Hairball FET/500 to process drums like kick and snare. It has a set 10 bands, and boost/cut is done in fixed 2dB steps.

The API-based circuits use discrete op amps (the little square PCBs on the LC-25). CAPI offers kits of those op amps, and they are about the hardest thing to solder that I’ve come across. They are typically about 10 transistors, 10 resistors, and 5 capacitors on a 1”x1” PCB.

IMG_5913.jpeg

The DIY modules for 500-series lunchboxes are a relatively inexpensive way to try inspired-by classic audio circuits, without having to absorb the cost of individual power supplies and rackmount enclosures. It’s been fun playing around with this hardware because I’m not fussing about the exact frequency or dB level down to the decimals as I would with plugins.

IMG_5905.jpeg

I also built 2 absorptive panels last week. I’m not particularly good at woodworking, but building my own panels has been a good start. Lately, I’ve been making my frames 32”w x73.5”h x7”d, so I can stuff 4 sheets of Rockwool Safe N Sound on and fill the rest with R19 fluffy fiberglass. The panels have helped cut down on some nasty reflections in the room.

IMG_5961.jpeg

The above picture is a frame covered with 1 layer of unbleached muslin fabric. I will cover with another layer eventually, to minimize the contrast between the wood and the insulation. I didn’t want to drill into my walls to support panels, so I’ve found that putting these big panels on Home Depot dolly carts has been most useful to me.

Last edited:
Very cool!

I've been idly considering building some 500 series preamps, and also the other day wondered about doing a couple of those API discrete op amps just to play around with, maybe to drive a transformer box for mix bus colouration.

Very cool!

I've been idly considering building some 500 series preamps, and also the other day wondered about doing a couple of those API discrete op amps just to play around with, maybe to drive a transformer box for mix bus colouration.
The CAPI VP28 might something you’d be interested in. It’s an API-based mic preamp, and it has a second amplification stage that’s based on API console fader circuitry. It’s basically passing signal through 2 API-type op amps and 3 transformers. The VP28 has line input and mic pre modes on the front panel.

IMG_3204.jpeg

The kits are periodically available, although the get snatched up quickly. I thought about building them for a few years before finally saving and jumping into the lunchbox rabbithole.

The op amp kits are pretty cheap around $20. Prebuilt op amps are pretty reasonable at around $50+. I’ve built 6 so far and have had to troubleshoot 2 of them for solder bridges.

The CAPI VP28 might something you’d be interested in. It’s an API-based mic preamp, and it has a second amplification stage that’s based on API console fader circuitry. It’s basically passing signal through 2 API-type op amps and 3 transformers. The VP28 has line input and mic pre modes on the front panel.

IMG_3204.jpeg

The kits are periodically available, although the get snatched up quickly. I thought about building them for a few years before finally saving and jumping into the lunchbox rabbithole.

The op amp kits are pretty cheap around $20. Prebuilt op amps are pretty reasonable at around $50+. I’ve built 6 so far and have had to troubleshoot 2 of them for solder bridges.

This spurred me on. honestly after shipping and 20% import duty's taken into account the VP28s were a bit over my budget, but I've ordered a pair of AML 1081 preamps to start stuffing the 6u lunchbox I got last week. Planning what to do next. My thought is two channels of quality analogue input, which'd cover most of the overdub stuff I do. Maybe a couple of channels of EQ, and a stereo or two mono linkable compressors, which would also work on stereo bus duty while mixing.

This spurred me on. honestly after shipping and 20% import duty's taken into account the VP28s were a bit over my budget, but I've ordered a pair of AML 1081 preamps to start stuffing the 6u lunchbox I got last week. Planning what to do next. My thought is two channels of quality analogue input, which'd cover most of the overdub stuff I do. Maybe a couple of channels of EQ, and a stereo or two mono linkable compressors, which would also work on stereo bus duty while mixing.
CAPI is a better deal here locally in the US. The AML stuff looks very nice and full featured. Sound Skulptor and Link Audio have cool kits in the EU too.

Looks like their 312 is actually a Neve 1073 clone.. is that correct ?

:unsure:

Well I wasted no time - built the AML 1081s, took 14 hours between 8pm Weds and 10pm Thurs, then Violin recording Friday and Guitar recording today. I'm very happy. Bring on the next project.
Nice! Have you had a chance to play around with the EQ?

Nah it's just the preamp version I made;

PXL_20240328_205506526.jpg

The 2 slot wide full preamp/line/EQ unit looks quite crowded on the front panel, and I wasn't 100% I wanted the 1081 EQ - for general tone shaping during tracking and for transformer colour and gentle mixbus EQ, I'd probably get two seperate 1073 EQ 1 slot modules they make that work at line level & have their own I/O transformers.

Nah it's just the preamp version I made;

View attachment 21086

The 2 slot wide full preamp/line/EQ unit looks quite crowded on the front panel, and I wasn't 100% I wanted the 1081 EQ - for general tone shaping during tracking and for transformer colour and gentle mixbus EQ, I'd probably get two seperate 1073 EQ 1 slot modules they make that work at line level & have their own I/O transformers.
Those transformers are huge. Enjoy. You could likely use some in-line 30dB attenuators to run tracks back into the preamps.

I like the effect of the 300 ohm setting on SM57-like mics on Neve-ish preamps. It’s nice to have the option to change impedance when needed.

Those transformers are huge. Enjoy. You could likely use some in-line 30dB attenuators to run tracks back into the preamps.

I like the effect of the 300 ohm setting on SM57-like mics on Neve-ish preamps. It’s nice to have the option to change impedance when needed.

Well that's a fairly uncanny post.

Tracked guitar last night with an SM58 and a Fet 47 copy I built. Used the 300 ohm setting on the SM58, and ran them both through in line 20dB attenuators, which left me thinking I'd rather have 30dB attenuators as the preamps weren't starting to break up until the peaks were at -2dBFS still.

I quickly bodged together a stereo line-to-mic box yesterday afternoon that just copies the resistors AML used for their line switch on the 2-slot 1081* to make -40dB. I'm planning to mix through the 1081s into a bus compressor.

*they couldn't fit a dedicated line input transformer on the 1081, so use a resistor pad. Their 1084 does have 3 transformers, I guess that EQ doesn't take up as much room. Do you know what the VP28's line input pad is? The AML 1081 uses a U pad with two 5k1 resistors and bridges the balanced signal with 100r

Well that's a fairly uncanny post.

Tracked guitar last night with an SM58 and a Fet 47 copy I built. Used the 300 ohm setting on the SM58, and ran them both through in line 20dB attenuators, which left me thinking I'd rather have 30dB attenuators as the preamps weren't starting to break up until the peaks were at -2dBFS still.

I quickly bodged together a stereo line-to-mic box yesterday afternoon that just copies the resistors AML used for their line switch on the 2-slot 1081* to make -40dB. I'm planning to mix through the 1081s into a bus compressor.

*they couldn't fit a dedicated line input transformer on the 1081, so use a resistor pad. Their 1084 does have 3 transformers, I guess that EQ doesn't take up as much room. Do you know what the VP28's line input pad is? The AML 1081 uses a U pad with two 5k1 resistors and bridges the balanced signal with 100r
The VP28 is has a U-Pad that attenuates 35dB. I’d have to take a look at the BOM to see what the resistor values are.

Back