It's been so long since I have gigged an all analog rig

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I decided it was going to be time this Saturday. I broke down all 6 of my pedal boards a few weeks ago and and cleaned it all up and put them away. As I was putting a pedalboard together though I realized how I need a whammy for 2 songs, particular delay times for 3 different songs, and a tremolo for 2 songs. I did have a tremolo pedal but gave it away. Arrrggghhh

This whole digital multi-fx thing is like the Mob. You think you can get away but it pulls you right back in. To paraphrase some movie quote.

Looks like it's 4cm time I guess. Luckily I have a snake I made for that all ready to go.

Yeah, when you need multiple particular effects for particular songs, you need multi-fx. They get you addicted and the withdrawals are overbearing.

That aside, I love the simplicity of playing a tube amp naked at home. Uhhh... That meaning a tube amp naked, as in without effects, not me naked playing a tube amp. (Honestly. I don't do that. It was a Freudian slip).

There is a part of me that itches to get a Dr Z or something like that, no effects loop, and run 4-5 all-analog pedals in front of it. Just a bone simple and totally different vibe than my Mesa + FM9 setup (that I still love).

There is a part of me that itches to get a Dr Z or something like that, no effects loop, and run 4-5 all-analog pedals in front of it. Just a bone simple and totally different vibe than my Mesa + FM9 setup (that I still love).

I bounced over to the Maz 38 model in the Fractal last night for the last hour or
so of of practice, and enjoyed it with a Strat-style guitar. :rawk

Had a couple of Zs (MAZ18, Prescription RX) in the past, while also having the Mesa
TA-30 and liked the TA more. Bet you can find one for less than a grand. ;) Killer amp.
Crazy versatile that does that Vox thing while not being limited to it. You can run one
side Vox and the other side Tweed, 2 different clean pedal platforms in one amp you
can footswitch between. Then run pedals in front.
Bam! That was my cover band rig for about 5 years. So good. :chef

Last edited:
Well the gig went fine but man I had to neuter my Marshall combo badly for the entire gig. The end result was great, with patrons going bananas over us but the venue required us to be at about 90db or so. Our drummer had a rag over his snare and played tippy tap style all day.

For a rock band it's not very inspiring to dial things back that far. I literally could not get the classic channel up to 1 (not as in 1'oclock either), never mind past 1. That amp has to be turned up to sound good. Definitely would have fared better at this place going direct to my PA with Helix but lesson learned. I ran 4 cable

Well the gig went fine but man I had to neuter my Marshall combo badly for the entire gig. The end result was great, with patrons going bananas over us but the venue required us to be at about 90db or so. Our drummer had a rag over his snare and played tippy tap style all day.

For a rock band it's not very inspiring to dial things back that far. I literally could not get the classic channel up to 1 (not as in 1'oclock either), never mind past 1. That amp has to be turned up to sound good. Definitely would have fared better at this place going direct to my PA with Helix but lesson learned. I ran 4 cable
They have a 90db limit and they hire a rock band with acoustic drums? Some people who own these places make me scratch my head.

They have a 90db limit and they hire a rock band with acoustic drums? Some people who own these places make me scratch my head.

We did manage to turn up a little bit as the gig went on but it was pretty ridiculous. Good point by the way. Why hire a rock band? I remember one gig I did a few years ago, similar situation and I told the bar manger between sets that we aren't a tippy tap country band and to never hire us again. I don't care what the pay or built in crowd is, if I can't play rock and roll at rock and roll volumes then I may as well stay home and just noodle in my jam room to backing tracks.

Worst is when you’re a drummer in a heavy rock band and have to gently tap on everything. Hello the cymbals don’t even hardly make noise if you tap then.

My favorite was my band mates amp was stolen so he was borrowing a THD Univalve. He actually got asked to turn down at a metal show! It’s like a 7 watt amp. That was a fun setup though, sd1 into univalve into 4x12 with v30s.

Back