It was just a matter of time. Ola's CHUG pedal

Cool casing but I think if I were going to go for any chug-based pedal right now it’d be that sick Loomis pedal with the delay built into it.
I've seen the pedal yet somehow managed to not actually hear it. And I'm not sure why?

Bah! buh! The question is not if it chugs. The real deal is: Can it Miku?
hatsune miku GIF

Cool.

But that mid knob seemed to have quite a large overlap both ways. It’s fine though if it has some overlap in the low mids with the bass knob, which is more useful, but that sounded like a lot of treble content in the mid knob.

I'm not giving "influencers" any of my f*****g money. :hmm

Ya gotta watch some Ola vids. One of his last demos, I can’t remember what it was, but he referred to the products as “I’ve had these assholes sitting around for a while and haven’t tried them yet.”, he’s sh*t all over products before and he’s made it pretty clear that when a company hits him up for a review, he tells them flat out “You may not like what I have to say.” and there was either a couple companies that decided not to send him gear or asked him to take down a video after the fact, I can’t remember what it was.

Being perfectly honest though, I’m biased because I’ve known Ola since before he was even talking in his videos and my view of him now is more like seeing an old buddy from high school who made something of themself and became successful at completing their goals.

Ola is awesome :satan

He's ok. ;) These folks have a platform they have worked to build, and that is awesome, for them,
but this whole trend of using that platform to capitalize on your audience at every opportunity
is not something I am on board with.

Milking your followers/supporters/audience may be a trend, but that doesn't mean it ought to
be condoned by everyone all the time.

Ola is awesome. He has his own thing going with Solar. Doesn’t get shilly with his demos. Never puts up some front, always seems genuine.

I’d never put him in the same category as some of the other gear tube shills.

I think two things can be true---that he's a good dude.... and that it is also a slippery, slippery slope he is currently skiing.

Ya gotta watch some Ola vids. One of his last demos, I can’t remember what it was, but he referred to the products as “I’ve had these assholes sitting around for a while and haven’t tried them yet.”, he’s sh*t all over products before and he’s made it pretty clear that when a company hits him up for a review, he tells them flat out “You may not like what I have to say.” and there was either a couple companies that decided not to send him gear or asked him to take down a video after the fact, I can’t remember what it was.

Being perfectly honest though, I’m biased because I’ve known Ola since before he was even talking in his videos and my view of him now is more like seeing an old buddy from high school who made something of themself and became successful at completing their goals.

I've watched him for years, too. At least 10. I generally don't voice a strong opinion just to do so--
and without some direct experience upon which to base an opinion. And it is just another opinion.

I still watch Ola. Mostly the SWOLA's on Sunday. I don't need to know if 300 different pedals/amps
"Chug" or not.

My leeriness is born out of watching a change over time where people/influencers monetize and
milk the community they have helped to build around themselves (TGP anyone? sound familiar?),
and that is why I see it as a "slippery slope." It can change and evolve, and for me it has, and does.

I am just more of a fan of those people who do NOT commoditize every thing and put a logo
on it and then try to peddle those wares to their own "people," so to speak. He just comes across
as more and more of a huckster. To me. That's the nature of the Biz he is more deeply rooted in
with every passing day.

But good on him and his crew. I am sure a lot of people will love it. And I am cool with being an
outlier about all of this, too.

I've watched him for years, too. At least 10. I generally don't voice a strong opinion just to do so--
and without some direct experience upon which to base an opinion. And it is just another opinion.

I still watch Ola. Mostly the SWOLA's on Sunday. I don't need to know if 300 different pedals/amps
"Chug" or not.

My leeriness is born out of watching a change over time where people/influencers monetize and
milk the community they have helped to build around themselves (TGP anyone? sound familiar?),
and that is why I see it as a "slippery slope." It can change and evolve, and for me it has, and does.

I am just more of a fan of those people who do NOT commoditize every thing and put a logo
on it and then try to peddle those wares to their own "people," so to speak. He just comes across
as more and more of a huckster. To me. That's the nature of the Biz he is more deeply rooted in
with every passing day.

But good on him and his crew. I am sure a lot of people will love it. And I am cool with being an
outlier about all of this, too.

I think the biggest difference between Ola and the others is that Solar, his own brand, is what he’s selling/pimping. All the other gear demo’d on his channel was given to him at the company’s own risk, he won’t take payments to do reviews and if I remember right, sends anything sent to him for free back to the company. Most of the guitars he demos that aren’t Solar are picked out by his audience and then he gives the audience a chance to win the guitar. While I certainly have my issues with capitalism in some cases, a Youtuber with a niche guitar brand doesn’t really touch that area for me.

I suppose the biggest thing of all is that if I just started doing amp demos without even talking in them and having no personality at all attached to the videos, then 10 years later it grew so big I was able to start my own company working on something I were truly passionate about (like fleshlights), I’d do it in a f*cking heartbeat.

And I suppose that makes me hypocritical at the same time, because I can’t stand the overwhelming majority of gear demo guys, who have my dream job of just being able to play with gear all day long. Pete Thorn, Tim Pierce and Ola are all I really watch for gear stuff. And with Pete, it’s very similar to Ola; I’ve ‘known’ Pete since ‘05 or so from the HRI days, before YouTube was even a thing. I never get the feeling these guys are putting on a fake persona to sell me something and that’s definitely NOT the feeling I get with guys like Fricker, Rabea or the turds trying to pimp $200 guitars as “just as good as a $3500 Suhr”.

Back