Is Walrus punking us?

ragingplatypi

Roadie
71932FEC-42D6-4468-B616-559C8F0DD255.jpeg

https://cdn.gearnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Walrus-Fundamental-Delay-Reverb.jpg

Fwiw, on hardware, faders are great. In software, they most often serve little useful purposes.
I'm actually digging that design, I/Os on top, too, these guys won't waste more space than a mini pedal.
You might accidentally touch the neighbour fader(s), though.

Sliders for digital, knobs for analog. Thats in the holy book of swede.

Joking… but otoh… if those pedals are used on a desk/youtube/treated like princesses and held with silk gloves…. They’ll be fine.
But put those on a pedalboard and do some nasty dirty small town small club gigs and.. I would definitely worried about crap getting into those sliders. Analog knobs must surely be safer from a dirt perspective…

Edit: but as always… gotta give walrus the nod for good looking stuff.

Are people's graphic EQ pedals failing left and right? I don't think it would be a huge issue. Many of these slider potentiometers also have some sort of guard for dust getting into them. Are they better than regular pots? Probably not, but anything to stand out in a crowded market.

I kinda like the designs. A bit different with a distinct look without the fancy graphics Walrus Audio pedals usually have.

Are people's graphic EQ pedals failing left and right?

In fact, while not "left and right", but still, yes, the faders of both my rather high quality GE-7 and (way lesser quality) Fender Micro EQ are pretty scratchy.
And as far as those dustguards go, they're certainly worth it - just that no EQ pedal I know of has them. And even if, a pot defenitely offers way better protection.
On the upside: Faders are probably easier to clean than pots. But then, a pot can easily be replaced, with a fader that might become much more of an issue.

I sort of like the way they look, definitely an '80s synth vibe going on. Curious to hear them, although I don't really need more pedals to be honest.

I sort of like the way they look, definitely an '80s synth vibe going on. Curious to hear them, although I don't really need more pedals to be honest.
Seems to be nothing really special about them, just a series of ”basic” stuff. Was it JHS that started that? With those white pedal?

I guess it’s natural for the makers to do that when the luxury/boutique/fancy/trend/hip segments gets so saturated they start seeing a decline in interest. Then people become more interested in basic no frills stuff…

Seems to be nothing really special about them, just a series of ”basic” stuff. Was it JHS that started that? With those white pedal?

I guess it’s natural for the makers to do that when the luxury/boutique/fancy/trend/hip segments gets so saturated they start seeing a decline in interest. Then people become more interested in basic no frills stuff…
Yeah it seems like an upcoming trend for pedal makers to offer a cheaper "standard" line, either made in Asia or just with a simpler feature set and cheaper construction. This might entice people to splurge for the more expensive "boutique" line if they like the "standard" stuff.

Definitely a sign that the market is finally too saturated or people just have less spending money due to worldwide increases in costs for food, electricity etc. while wages haven't kept up.

Well, nobody knows how "basic" they are by the numbers of parameters. After all, some truly iconic pedals are one knob affairs.
I'd say it depends on what's under the hood. Maybe the drives are exceptionally dynamic, exceptionally low noise, exceptionally cutting through, whatever.

Like I need even more fuzz pedals, huh?

I for one could defenitely need one working great in a pre-buffered environment. Keeping an eye on a VS Audio Pandora Fuzz & Boost (which even comes with its own buffer), but for how often I may use it, it's a little too much for my wallet right now.

I for one could defenitely need one working great in a pre-buffered environment. Keeping an eye on a VS Audio Pandora Fuzz & Boost (which even comes with its own buffer), but for how often I may use it, it's a little too much for my wallet right now.

Sounds like you want something with variable impedance.

Back