Is this a dumb idea?

TubeStack

Shredder
So I've been really enjoying the IIc+ model on my FM9T. I'm using it through the Power Amp In on my Katana 100 head with a Lone Star 2x12. (Been able to tweak it to get pretty close to my Electra Dyne, too.)

I've been looking at better options for a solid-state power amp, among them the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700, but the 700 is out of stock indefinitely here in Canada.

I've also seen others using a BAM200 bass head and was wondering, what about a Mesa D800 bass head? Seems like better build quality than the BAM and way more power. Would also look cool with my Recto and LS cabs. :)

One thing I'm wondering about is the passive/active switch: what effect would this have when running an FM9 into it?

Any thoughts? Thanks. :beer
lg_1133b2090764438fb456b962fd6440c9.jpg

No clue about your question but just throwing my input in towards the TC/Powerstage, I’ve got both the BAM and the PS-170 and I actually prefer the BAM. There’s something about the high’s I dig more, maybe they’re a bit more tweakable. Most certainly a subjective thing but if I were to buy both again, I’d just get 2 TC’s for less than the cost of one 170.

The biggest benefit to these is having an EQ on there, which entirely saves you from the hassle of tweaking presets to fit a room. I really dig the idea of having a Low Mid control since that’s where I do most of my tweaking in my presets to begin with. Holy sh*t! I just looked up the price of those things…..yeah, I’m just going to stick with the BAM/170. :rofl

Another thing I wonder about is the wattage on these things vs the wattage of my cabs, all of which are in the 120W-240W range.

Many say it doesn't matter as long you're not maxing them out?

No clue about your question but just throwing my input in towards the TC/Powerstage, I’ve got both the BAM and the PS-170 and I actually prefer the BAM. There’s something about the high’s I dig more, maybe they’re a bit more tweakable. Most certainly a subjective thing but if I were to buy both again, I’d just get 2 TC’s for less than the cost of one 170.

The biggest benefit to these is having an EQ on there, which entirely saves you from the hassle of tweaking presets to fit a room. I really dig the idea of having a Low Mid control since that’s where I do most of my tweaking in my presets to begin with. Holy sh*t! I just looked up the price of those things…..yeah, I’m just going to stick with the BAM/170. :rofl

Agreed. I had both the SD170 and BAM, and I couldn’t find any meaningful difference so I just kept the BAM at half the price.

Agreed. I had both the SD170 and BAM, and I couldn’t find any meaningful difference so I just kept the BAM at half the price.

On that note: do you think there will be a meaningful difference between any of these and the Katana's power amp?

On that note: do you think there will be a meaningful difference between any of these and the Katana's power amp?

I’m not really familiar with the Katana, but my guess (and there are far more knowledgeable people than me on this stuff) is that there won’t be much between various cheap class D power amps. I’m not sure what the Katana uses, but if it’s class D I’d guess there wouldn’t be much between it and the BAM/SD170

I’m not really familiar with the Katana, but my guess (and there are far more knowledgeable people than me on this stuff) is that there won’t be much between various cheap class D power amps. I’m not sure what the Katana uses, but if it’s class D I’d guess there wouldn’t be much between it and the BAM/SD170

I think the Katana is class AB. Not sure what difference that makes?

I think I would not buy a SS Mesa bass head. Probably wayyyyyyy too much $ vs. the "improvement" you will (probably not get) over the Katana. The Mesa is going to be voiced for bass guitar as well so there will be those frequency/eq considerations. My modelers sound great through the FX return of the BL :bag :satan :guiness

If you want something that is tremendous as a tube power amp for a modeler, I will tell you I have tried so many things including My Tremoverb, and Mark V and also a glut of other amps and the best one was a 2x12 MKII Spider Valve by Line 6. Not only has it been the best experience tone-wise, but they are also stocked with V30's and can be found for under 400 bucks everywhere. I'm sure it's got something to do with the Bogner designed power amp.

Thanks, guys. I'm kind of off this trip, for now. :grin

I went back to playing my actual amp last night, with the FM9 in 4cm, and it just sounded so good and perfect and I didn't have to adjust a thing.

To me, this is the struggle with the SS amp + cab approach: yes it's more amp-like and "Amp where I'm at," however then you're in a situation where it's really not much more work to just bring the real tube head and instantly sound great with no adjustments or comprising (at least in my practice and gig situations). And if I'm already bringing the cab, and can play the real amp at a decent volume level, then why not?

But I can't seem to quell my curiosity about getting a modeler + SS + cab solution that I really love, so I'm sure I'll be back at it, at some point. And it is fun to mess around with, anyway.

I think the Katana is class AB. Not sure what difference that makes?

In a nutshell, it means you'll get a more realistic reaction from the power amp than a Class-D amp, specially regarding sagging. The difference is not dramatic, but it is there.

Seriously; don't sleep on using the FM for everything into the FX return of your Boogie.

Thanks - I've tried that and didn't like it; it sounded muffled and weird, to me, and just made me want to play the real amp. However that was a long time ago and I'm better at tweaking modelers, now.

But, I don't pursue that approach as much anyway, because to me, if I'm going to bring a tube head to a gig, then I'm going to use it as the amp that it is, which so far, I always like better.

In a nutshell, it means you'll get a more realistic reaction from the power amp than a Class-D amp, specially regarding sagging. The difference is not dramatic, but it is there.

Thanks. That matches with what I'm hearing/feeling when playing this setup, although I don't have a Class D to compare it to. But I can hear and feel a bit of the sponginess/sag with the Katana. I was reading that the Orange Pedal Baby is AB, as well.

Thanks - I've tried that and didn't like it; it sounded muffled and weird, to me, and just made me want to play the real amp. However that was a long time ago and I'm better at tweaking modelers, now.

But, I don't pursue that approach as much anyway, because to me, if I'm going to bring a tube head to a gig, then I'm going to use it as the amp that it is, which so far, I always like better.
This makes sense. For me; I still want and need pedals. And some sort of amplification device. So I never look at it as "I'm either bringing this one thing or these five things". Whatever gets you where you want to go is always best \m/

But I can't seem to quell my curiosity about getting a modeler + SS + cab solution that I really love, so I'm sure I'll be back at it, at some point. And it is fun to mess around with, anyway.

I ultimately just went Modeler + PowerStation 100 + Cab. Injects a clean tube power section into the equation, but also gives the flexibility of adding an attenuator or fx loop to an amp. Granted it way more expensive than a BAM, but I realized pretty quick in my gear journey a PS50/100 might be the best piece of utility gear there is. It’s also portable enough that you could lug with 212 and a modeler to a gig. It’s a chunky boy, but no more then lugging a lunchbox amp.

I don't know if you mentioned elsewhere but roughly where are you, if you don't mind exposing such information on a forum?

I'm in Montreal, but about to move to Kanata. The Quebexodus has begun...

I'm about an hour west of Toronto. I've never been to Montreal, but have been elsewhere in Quebec, a little bit. Would love to see Montreal, at some point!

Kanata, wow, that's going to be beautiful! :beer

Back