Is this a dumb idea?

If you want something that is tremendous as a tube power amp for a modeler, I will tell you I have tried so many things including My Tremoverb, and Mark V and also a glut of other amps and the best one was a 2x12 MKII Spider Valve by Line 6. Not only has it been the best experience tone-wise, but they are also stocked with V30's and can be found for under 400 bucks everywhere. I'm sure it's got something to do with the Bogner designed power amp.
$400, seriously?? I’ll keep an eye out. Do you know if they ever did a 1x12 combo?

I had the head and 4x12 for a while, many years back, but returned it.

Fx return of a tube amp is better for me than 4cm.

I don't think the fractal changes amp channels does it? So changes from lots of effects to dry on different amp channel would be 2 buttons which doesn't sound as smooth. I think that with a small amount of time and understanding the different parameters you can make a modeler into fx return sound darn near just about the same as 4cm - the tech is just that good now.

You paid a ton for the fm9t, it will sound amazing into the fx return of a tube amp. Less cables, easier switching. Make it more of the all in one device it's supposed to be.

Last edited:
$400, seriously?? I’ll keep an eye out. Do you know if they ever did a 1x12 combo?

I had the head and 4x12 for a while, many years back, but returned it.

Yes they did a 1x12 (I have one) also both MKI and MKII and there's really no difference in the 2 when it comes to using it as a tube power amp.

Yes they did a 1x12 (I have one) also both MKI and MKII and there's really no difference in the 2 when it comes to using it as a tube power amp.
Wow, hadn’t considered that before. Do you run modelers through the FX loop with cabs/IRs disabled?

Damn, 1x12 versions are going for just north of $250! :oops: Why TF have I been messing around with passive cabs and class D power amps again?

I similarly considered using a DT50 at one point for a programmable power amp but IIRC the 50 watter was plagued with reliability issues; and with it being out of production...

Would love it if Bogner just made a stand alone rack version of that power amp with the MIDI programmable stuff. You could switch mode of operation on the fly, etc.

Damn, 1x12 versions are going for just north of $250! :oops: Why TF have I been messing around with passive cabs and class D power amps again?
Trying to shoot holes in this plan. About the only downside (beside the usual "tubes don't last forever", etc.) is that a Spider Valve 1x12 weighs about 50lbs. This is a point in favor of a SS combo, e.g. Fender Mustang. Theoretically tube coloration is redundant with a good amp model anyway. Theoretically...

i have the smaller-version powerstage i am not using if you are interested. i bought it but i never ended up really using it.

On a related topic: how much improvement can be expected going from the Katana 100 head Power Amp In to a PS 200 or 700, if any? Is it even worth it?

I just assume that the Katana power amp isn't great because of the low overall price, but maybe its Class AB SS power amp is comparable to the Seymour Class D amps?

A side benefit of the Katana is that it can can function as a backup if something goes wrong with the FM9, too…

The PS benefits with be having that 3 band eq and a little "flatter" (if the internet is to be believed). I'd probably just stick with the Katana and make sure your vital controls are on your FM performance pages and go with what you got.

I know that flies in the face of normal advice in a place like this. And advice I seldom ever follow :bag

The PS benefits with be having that 3 band eq and a little "flatter" (if the internet is to be believed). I'd probably just stick with the Katana and make sure your vital controls are on your FM performance pages and go with what you got.

I know that flies in the face of normal advice in a place like this. And advice I seldom ever follow :bag
You mean a place like the other. :bag

Back