Is Glen right?

Stone

Rock Star
i posted at this time stamp cause its funny
but watching the whole thing im not sure if he has valid points or not

magic8ball.gif

OMG! I forgot about that guy since I did click "do not follow channel" long time ago. I do not play ultra high-gain metal, so none of his revelations are fucking important to me.

BTW: he says these things do not fucking matter, but he starts the video announcing that the strings he is using do a very good job. DUDE! THESE THINGS DO NOT FUCKING MATTER!!! :rofl

OMG! I forgot about that guy since I did click "do not follow channel" long time ago. I do not play ultra high-gain metal, so none of his revelations are f*****g important to me.

BTW: he says these things do not f*****g matter, but he starts the video announcing that the strings he is using do a very good job. DUDE! THESE THINGS DO NOT f*****g MATTER!!! :rofl
He can't play ultra high gain metal either

:rollsafe

There is difference between pickups when playing but the difference diminishes when hearing the recorded sound.
Kind of like the difference between modelers with high gain where the IR matters far more.

In my opinion this is a great topic to talk about, how important is the entire experience of authentic gear, playing and recording vs the final sound which can be achieved faster and easier than ever before.

There is difference between pickups when playing but the difference diminishes when hearing the recorded sound.
Kind of like the difference between modelers with high gain where the IR matters far more.

In my opinion this is a great topic to talk about, how important is the entire experience of authentic gear, playing and recording vs the final sound which can be achieved faster and easier than ever before.

If the recording is of good quality and not using too much high-gain, the differences do not diminish. E.g.: try getting this tone with anything but a P90. I've tried, with a accurate A/B comparisons at the DAW, and I could only get almost satisfactory results with a P90 (on a Strat though, not on a golden LP like Gilmour uses for that song), but not getting close with any SC or HB

Last edited:

Quite defenitely, as with *many* things.

For me personally, especially being a live player in the first place, what you've mentioned above, namely the playing feel (of whatever it might be) is paramount. If I was just into recording, things would be at least somewhat, possibly a lot different.
As a rather blunt example: I had POD vs. (Boss) GT experiences in the past. Mainly it's been POD 1/2 vs. GT-5 and POD XT vs. GT-10. The sounds of the PODs have always been (even much) better, but I still kept using the GTs for live, simply because their playing feel was so much better.

And all that's got quite something to do with "authentic vs. whatever-it-might-be". The MI lives from selling "authenticity". They simply don't want you to believe in "what works, works", instead they want you to buy the next "10% more real" thing, quite obviously crafted with "painstaking accuracy" for "more everything".
Btw, in the light of that, it's actually astonishing for Fricker to say that PUs don't matter. Even more astonishing as at least for playing feel, they actually matter a lot.

There are Differences for sure, I'm currently working on a song (Plush) and have found that my EMG are just not getting me the sound I want so I turned to my p-90's and its much better, When I get my Revstar ill be trying Alnico II Humbuckers and see

He has successfully proven when you set an amp to make a guitar sound like a chainsaw, it’ll always sound like a chainsaw.

By his logic, pickups and other components do not matter and are all snake oil because no matter what, his guitars always sound like a jar of bees with various EQ sweeps. This is the guy that touted the tonal superiority of the Marshall valvestate, for Christ sakes.

Of course, his logic fails once you step out of the micro genre he tends to like to record. Once you do that and you make the guitar sound like an actual guitar, stuff matters.

As I said recently at the FAS forum. It is like that people that cannot eat anything without ketchup. Do not invest too much effort elaborating their food, and never invite them to an expensive restaurant, because it is a total waste. They have a kind of impaired or primitive taste at their palate :rofl
George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Ugh, this video doesn’t die. That dude definitely knows how to clickbait.

It’s remarkably stupid of him to say this from a mix engineer perspective. Just last week I had mentioned how my challenge submission wasn’t working with the JB for the way I played, it wasn’t tight enough for the palm mutes at that tempo, not for how I dial in my tones/play anyway. I used the exact same preset with a different pickup and got it tracked.

Now if I just tracked it with the JB and handed it off to someone to mix, there’d be endless back and forth over why the palm mutes sound like ass and what’s needed to make them clearer. In this case the mix engineer would have to say “Dude, it doesn’t matter how I EQ this, you can’t EQ a recorded track and make a pickup tighter in the process, you can only remove frequencies and hope it stands out more” when if the guitarists were using the right pickup for their playing style, it wouldn’t be a discussion at all.

And that’s not even getting into the guitar player’s aspect of things. He’s a f*cking asshat.

It’s remarkably stupid of him to say this from a mix engineer perspective. Just last week I had mentioned how my challenge submission wasn’t working with the JB for the way I played, it wasn’t tight enough for the palm mutes at that tempo, not for how I dial in my tones/play anyway. I used the exact same preset with a different pickup and got it tracked.

Now if I just tracked it with the JB and handed it off to someone to mix, there’d be endless back and forth over why the palm mutes sound like ass and what’s needed to make them clearer. In this case the mix engineer would have to say “Dude, it doesn’t matter how I EQ this, you can’t EQ a recorded track and make a pickup tighter in the process, you can only remove frequencies and hope it stands out more” when if the guitarists were using the right pickup for their playing style, it wouldn’t be a discussion at all.

And that’s not even getting into the guitar player’s aspect of things. He’s a f*cking asshat.
Mocks bassists but can't play his way out of a paper bag while staying in said bag with the world's most shit vibrato. With the personality of a cheese grater grinding into your face. Horrific youtuber.

So many players either dont get this or simply never consider it.

I can't abide people who have shit opinions on gear. And even though I'll be the first to admit I don't know a lot of this stuff, I do know good tone when I hear it, even if it comes from amps/guitars that I don't prefer.
But with the general consensus here that this guy doesn't know what he's talking about, I find myself resisting the urge to watch his video! :facepalm

So many players either dont get this or simply never consider it.
There's more to tone than just how it sounds. That tactile-response thing is a thing as well.

Back