IR Question

Stone

Rock Star
Howdy all, anyone tried a Celestion Alnico Blue IR
any good ones , like York or Ownhammer?

Thanks all for any input or suggestions

I didn’t care for Celestion IRs. I started with a couple of theirs and 3 Sigma. They were ok. Then I tried Ownhammer and liked them much more. Started using them exclusively. Then I found York Audio and pretty much only use theirs or built in Fractal now.

IRs are complicated. I love Celestion Blue speakers but not the IRs, exactly, even mine...there is an issue with current methods. I mean some IRs of the speakers can be good but there is a limit as with all IRs. I'm always at work.

I mean some IRs of the speakers can be good but there is a limit as with all IRs.

Could you elaborate on that? Talking about speaker dynamics? Or PA <-> cab/speaker relations (of whatever sort)? Or about the fact that IRs don't deliver the infamous Amp where I'm at feel? Or a mixture of all of those?

IRs are complicated. I love Celestion Blue speakers but not the IRs, exactly, even mine...there is an issue with current methods. I mean some IRs of the speakers can be good but there is a limit as with all IRs. I'm always at work.

I agree, this is my experience too.
In most of my favorite guitar recordings I hear some mid-field (3-6 feet) mic blended in with the close mic, that add strong sense of the cab particularly when the guitar track is isolated.

The Celestion IRs are fine with the caveat that you might want to make your own multi-mic mixes or tweak your modeler settings differently with them compared to various other vendors. Celestion IRs tend to sound bright and thin by themselves.

I'd rather just pick a York Audio pack with his multi-mic mixes and save yourself trouble.

Could you elaborate on that? Talking about speaker dynamics? Or PA <-> cab/speaker relations (of whatever sort)? Or about the fact that IRs don't deliver the infamous Amp where I'm at feel? Or a mixture of all of those?

When discussing the Alnico Blue specifically it has to do with the breakup and compression that can be super sensitive to what comes before it, even the picking.

Amp in the room thing is a whole other issue.

I agree, this is my experience too.
In most of my favorite guitar recordings I hear some mid-field (3-6 feet) mic blended in with the close mic, that add strong sense of the cab particularly when the guitar track is isolated.
I have looked into this some and even tried to replicate it. I will guess in some cases this is caused by bleed from the loud guitar amp into other mics as they are recorded as a live band. Of course if you isolate the track this would not be the case.

Celestion IRs tend to sound bright and thin by themselves

That's what I noticed, too.

When discussing the Alnico Blue specifically it has to do with the breakup and compression that can be super sensitive to what comes before it, even the picking.

Ok. Wasn't aware that the Alnico Blue was particularly sensitive.

Amp in the room thing is a whole other issue.

Yeah, I just mentioned it because you've said "as with all IRs".

Ok. Wasn't aware that the Alnico Blue was particularly sensitive.
It can have a super clear chimey high end and is only 15 watts.

You both mention Celestion IRs being bright. I bought a few packs to try years ago and thought they were very middy lacking lows. Not sure how their new stuff is.

Is this too bright for you all?

It can have a super clear chimey high end and is only 15 watts.

You both mention Celestion IRs being bright. I bought a few packs to try years ago and thought they were very middy lacking lows. Not sure how their new stuff is.

Is this too bright for you all?

Sounded really good to me :idk

I used Helix Native's Matchless amp model with the IR.

I posted the IR here for everyone to try:

Thanks, that's an excellent combination for sure. Needs quite some low end taming for my taste, but otherwise it's really great - and astonishingly enough one of the handful of IRs that makes me enjoy playing through a vox-style amp (usually not my COT). And as far as it being mid-rich goes, I just dig that. IMO, as a live player (which I mainly am) you gotta learn to love mids, that's where guitars live.

Back