Ik multimedia Arc Studio - ARC 4

I am still very interested in this unit. I run the Yamaha H7 speakers along with the sub. I am assuming that this unit goes between my interface outputs and the speaker inputs. I haven't looked at the connections on the hardware for this too deep yet.

I am still very interested in this unit. I run the Yamaha H7 speakers along with the sub. I am assuming that this unit goes between my interface outputs and the speaker inputs. I haven't looked at the connections on the hardware for this too deep yet.

Correct, it goes between the two. You will want a pair of XLR cables to run from the ARC to the monitors.

The HS8 speakers sound a lot better with the ARC. At least for my room, it fills out the low end substantially, where it was more upper bass before, now it's a lot flatter and deeper. It also scoops out the low mids a bit which clears up the sound. I think for the most part that's due to room issues rather than speakers but either way it should help.

I've spent the last few days rearranging my room and trying different speaker positions. Funny enough every change I make seems to make it worse lol. But I'm getting my desk put back together now.

Correct, it goes between the two. You will want a pair of XLR cables to run from the ARC to the monitors.

The HS8 speakers sound a lot better with the ARC. At least for my room, it fills out the low end substantially, where it was more upper bass before, now it's a lot flatter and deeper. It also scoops out the low mids a bit which clears up the sound. I think for the most part that's due to room issues rather than speakers but either way it should help.

I've spent the last few days rearranging my room and trying different speaker positions. Funny enough every change I make seems to make it worse lol. But I'm getting my desk put back together now.
I did get a chance to look at the hardware online after I posted and saw that it is XLR in and XLR out. That will be perfect for my setup. I already have the cables. I had to change my cables when I got my new interface a couple of years ago. The cables I used on the one before the new one will work for this.

Sounds like you are enjoying the unit so far. I will probably pick one up once I get through my taxes and start digging into my recording again.

I did get a chance to look at the hardware online after I posted and saw that it is XLR in and XLR out. That will be perfect for my setup. I already have the cables. I had to change my cables when I got my new interface a couple of years ago. The cables I used on the one before the new one will work for this.

Sounds like you are enjoying the unit so far. I will probably pick one up once I get through my taxes and start digging into my recording again.

I run balanced 1/4" to XLR from my MOTU interface, then XLR out to the Yamahas. Nice thing with the ARC is that it includes a power supply (always on), and you don't need to keep USB connected after it's set up.

I don't love on my MOTU M4 that it is USB powered, so anytime I unplug my laptop it powers off (even though it's plugged into a powered USB hub). I'll likely swap it out for something that has separate power at some point.

Oh one other funny thing, after everything is plugged in the ARC is weighted so much to the back that it just tilts back at an angle. I'm going to need to add some weight to the front so it sits flat again.

I run balanced 1/4" to XLR from my MOTU interface, then XLR out to the Yamahas. Nice thing with the ARC is that it includes a power supply (always on), and you don't need to keep USB connected after it's set up.

I don't love on my MOTU M4 that it is USB powered, so anytime I unplug my laptop it powers off (even though it's plugged into a powered USB hub). I'll likely swap it out for something that has separate power at some point.
I went in big when I had to replace my interface. I decided to spend more money and buy something that was going to be as future proof as I could find. I bought the RME UCX II. It is a much higher quality interface than what I was using. However, it uses balanced 1/4 input and output connections. My other interface was XLR for both.

Note: I just looked and I actually bought this interface 3 years ago and it has gone up in price by $300. I also got the RME ARC-USB Advanced Remote Control with mine for free at that time. They were running a special on it. That is another $179. I feel like I got a super deal on this now. At the time it was a chunk of cash.

Oh one other funny thing, after everything is plugged in the ARC is weighted so much to the back that it just tilts back at an angle. I'm going to need to add some weight to the front so it sits flat again.
That...seems like a ridiculous oversight in design. It's not like XLR etc connectors should vary much in weight, right?

I guess you need to put a rock on top of it. Then you can say it's your rock rig!

That...seems like a ridiculous oversight in design. It's not like XLR etc connectors should vary much in weight, right?

I guess you need to put a rock on top of it. Then you can say it's your rock rig!

Well the ARC is super light, but yeah the XLR cables coming out the back, the weight of the cables just hanging down tips it backwards. I put a ceramic dish full of picks on it for now but even then it will tilt back a bit!

Back