Identifiying Ohms of a combo amp without pulling out speaker

BahamaDada

Roadie
Hey folks,

some time ago I got a little Blackstar HT5 combo. The first edition, that was Made In Korea, that had a G10 40 Celestion in it.

A friend from around here gave it to me for free.

I don't know the impedance on that thing and I also don't know if it is plugged into the right jack. (There are 3: 1x16, 1x8 and 2x16; or something like this).

From looking through the back grille there is just the speaker type visible. No ohms or anything.

So: Can I identify that some way without pulling out the whole speaker and hoping for a mark on the top or side?

From looking at all the ones for sale, it looks like they're all plugged into the first speaker jack, whatever it's labeled. That's probably it?

From looking at all the ones for sale, it looks like they're all plugged into the first speaker jack, whatever it's labeled. That's probably it?
Very good tip!

I found 2 of the old models (and many of the newer ones with Blackstar speakers) on Kleinanzeigen and it seems as you said: 1st jack after the power cord.

Btw interesting (to me) info about that Celestion G10 40:
From TGP. "...the G1ON-40 was first developed with an OEM with the mindset of it being a slightly chimier (is that a word?) version of the of the G10 Greenie. They were real happy with it and gave the blessing to release it to "everyone" hence it's now a standard model. I am glad to hear you guys like it. It's a bit "under the radar" as our range goes, but word is getting out and I think it will be a big success. Best of luck!" Rick Skillman, Celestion LTD UK

I thought that G10 40 is just some horrible OEM speaker they throw into cheap combos. I mean, it is OEM, but with a rather nice twist? It definetly sounds sweet. Keeping it.

Ohm Meter will tell you. Keep in mind that the reading will be a little lower than the ohm of the speaker
Yep.

A loudspeaker is a reactive device, so the Ω is measured as impedance (AC circuit), rather than resistance (DC circuit).

But, for this purpose a simple meter will give you a close enough reading as to the speaker's impedance.

Yep.

A loudspeaker is a reactive device, so the Ω is measured as impedance (AC circuit), rather than resistance (DC circuit).

But, for this purpose a simple meter will give you a close enough reading as to the speaker's impedance.
Where do I measure this? I have a multimeter here, but next to no electric experience.

You can measure directly from the speaker terminals if they are accessible. Otherwise, measure between the tip and ring of the speaker cable.

Back