I Just Wanna Say...

I seriously think a stride has been hit. I haven't noticed any breakages to my presets the last string of FW updates. I do find that while there are a bazillion options at hand; I don't do much other than engage delay and dual pitch when the time comes :satan

Honestly, I don't even make custom patches anymore, aside from an acoustic sim I created out of thin air (and acoustic IRs floating around the 'Net).

The factory joints get me everywhere I want on the FM9 except that I almost always add a good bit of treble and presence on the Performance page.

The flip side of this is that I haven't played much with the new stuff like the Revv models and Dynacabs.

Honestly, I don't even make custom patches anymore, aside from an acoustic sim I created out of thin air (and acoustic IRs floating around the 'Net).

The factory joints get me everywhere I want on the FM9 except that I almost always add a good bit of treble and presence on the Performance page.
It's really funny in that I could be "endlessly tweaking" but can't seem to be bothered because I dig it so much as is :bag¯\_(ツ)_/¯:love

It's really funny in that I could be "endlessly tweaking" but can't seem to be bothered because I dig it so much as is :bag¯\_(ツ)_/¯:love

I absolutely dove into the tweakers's rabbit hole when I had my first FM3, but after all of the switching of tonestacks, power amp tubes, and other minutiae...I usually found the "modded" sound I was looking for in another variant model already on the device.

Some of those factory presets are already super duper close to the idealized sound I already have in my head. I mean, the 5153 preset - specifically the 50W Blue scene - is just there already out of the box. That's what I'm looking to hear when I try a modern high-gain amp.

The flip side of this is that I haven't played much with the new stuff like the Revv models and Dynacabs.

I absolutely dove into the tweakers's rabbit hole when I had my first FM3, but after all of the switching of tonestacks, power amp tubes, and other minutiae...I usually found the "modded" sound I was looking for in another variant model already on the device.

Some of those factory presets are already super duper close to the idealized sound I already have in my head. I mean, the 5153 preset - specifically the 50W Blue scene - is just there already out of the box. That's what I'm looking to hear when I try a modern high-gain amp.

So what you're saying is that I should get one?

So what you're saying is that I should get one?
Crazy Ex Girlfriend Yes GIF

Oh I've had a lot of spreadsheets for all kind of different purposes. I'm a data analyst so I like to document and compare things.

On the Fractal side, I think I'm getting closer. Upgrading my studio monitors seems to have helped as I'm getting a fuller range of sound, and getting some distance and separation from the drivers makes it more like playing an amp.

I do still find there's a little more treble and bass than I'd prefer, and that the midrange is not as prominent, so there's a tendency for the sound to get lost compared to some other modelers I've used. I may go the global EQ route to help there. What I'd love to do is fine tune the output so the factory presets all sound really good on my system, then I'd have a better idea to dial in my own presets.

Outside of that, I still think Fractal offers the least compromises and most flexibility, which is very valuable.

For me the biggest piece of the puzzle is finding an IR that fits your guitar and the tone in your fingers. Then I like to use a parametric EQ right after the input block to stimulate different pickups and tailor the innate sound in mine. The rest is gravy.

I've always been into the movable mic sims in the plugin world, and the Dyna Cabs finally bright Fractal to that world for me. That was the missing piece; in fact, my one hesitation in buying a Fractal modeler (other than the price) was the lack of a built in movable mic model. There is Proximity on the Legacy cabs, but that's still nowhere nearly as powerful as Dyna Cabs.

The parametric EQ at the beginning of the chain is a new one for me, but I find it really powerful and helpful. I've gotten really good Strat neck simulations out of my neck humbucker just tweaking by ear, and I can dial my bridge to sound a little beefier when I want, in a way that's more powerful than an OD pedal alone. This has led me finally to realize I need just to replace my humbucker neck with a Strat neck and my humbucker bridge with an Invader inspired pickup, so my guitar's in pieces on my desk with the soldering station next to it right now. 🙂

I haven’t made a new preset in my FM9…..since I got the Les Pauls last year. I tweaked some when I joined that cover band and last weekend I took my main Bassman preset I use for couch noodling and changed the delay from Vintage Digital to Mono Tape. Maybe a total of 30 minutes of tweaking since I got the Les Pauls about…..10 months ago. To be fair, using a real cab cuts down on tweak time considerably, but overall that Bassman preset is noodling bliss, so fuck it.

I was playing an outdoor festival this weekend. Power wasn't good, my RJM MIDI controller wasn't able to lit all mini displays all the time. Bummer, but it isn't the issue I want to talk about.
I didn't get as as much gain as I expected at the beginning of the gig. I quickly realised I had been playing through my headphones at home in the past months which must have had an impact. So I pressed Setup, went to I/O and increased Input 1 Gain value.
All fixed, happy gig.
Learn your tools.

Back