I just geeked out on picks...

DrewJD82

Staff member
When cleaning up my desk I realized I had a lot more Jazz III picks than I thought and suddenly the inner guitar nerd in me whispered "....but do they sound different?"

Picks.jpg

I opened Logic and grabbed a Strat then just played the same lick over and over again with each pick. Yes, they sound different. As soon as I was done I felt dirty; I had just slipped into an area I frequently speak down upon- minute tonal differences that don't f*cking matter. That said, it's really interesting how subtle differences have a big effect on things, mainly with the feel, which would influence me to pick differently to compensate for the change. Feel wise, I absolutely agree that finding the right pick is an important choice. Tonally, in the context of several Jazz III types within .50mm of each other? GTFO.

As long as there's some kind of grip on it and the rest of it is smooth, I dig it. I've been using the JP picks since they came out and have a ton of those, but in comparison to the rest it feels a bit clumsy due to the size. That's all I'm ever going to talk about picks again. I hate that I did this. And my buddy is right.

GetLaid.jpg

Picks make a difference, I personally find the petrucci J3's to sound a bit weedy and thin.

I've used chickenpicks (their jazz iii variant) for a long time, but recently pulled out the Ultex J3XLs and bought some Primetone J3XLs, which are both my current favourites, real Rigid and provided a great snap and attack

Last edited:
Picks make a difference, I personally find the petrucci J3's to sound a bit weedy and thin.

I've used chickenpicks for a long time, but recently pulled out the Ultex J3XLs and bought some Primetone J3XLs, which are my current favourite, real Rigid and provided a great snap and attack

I found some Primetone Ultex Petrucci's right after making this post. I hate that I'm noticing that much of a difference between these things. Also have some EJ Jazz III's and I'm a bit surprised he digs these so much, they've got quite a bright attack to the initial pick sound.

I found some Primetone Ultex Petrucci's right after making this post. I hate that I'm noticing that much of a difference between these things. Also have some EJ Jazz III's and I'm a bit surprised he digs these so much, they've got quite a bright attack to the initial pick sound.

I find nylon J3s like the EJ to be quite spongy and drag quite a bit. The ultex glides/snaps thru the string for me. All subjective Of course.

I'll have a Look at the petrucci primetone ultex, the ones I thought sounded weedy are the ones at 11 o'clock on your first pic.

just found the Primetone Ultex Petrucci's. Whats the difference between black and red because they both look to be the same guage

I’be been a V-Picks user for a while now. Mostly with the Screamer. But lately I’ve been enjoying the Dunlop John Petrucci picks.

When I first started playing I used Jazz III picks but as I’ve gotten older I’ve found that I can stay more relaxed (grip wise) with fatter picks.

I use the orange Dunlop Tortex .60mm. My son has an assortment of J3s and they're all too damn small for my giant fingers. There as small as my Tortex picks get after filing them down on my carpet after several uses - and I inevitably toss them out.

Im interested in trying the Dunlop TIII's tho

just found the Primetone Ultex Petrucci's. Whats the difference between black and red because they both look to be the same guage

I'm guessing just the color? They're both 1.38mm and use the same shape/material, so all that's left is the color.

I use the orange Dunlop Tortex .60mm. My son has an assortment of J3s and they're all too damn small for my giant fingers. There as small as my Tortex picks get after filing them down on my carpet after several uses - and I inevitably toss them out.

Im interested in trying the Dunlop TIII's tho

That was my issue with Tortex picks, I'd wear them down really fast. I used to use the green .88 Tortex picks, then the Jazz III version but the tips would grind down in just a few hours and I'd toss 'em. The Petrucci's really don't wear down.

I used regular red Jazz 3s forever and then randomly tried a red Jazz 3 XL. I much prefer it after a few days of getting used to the larger size.
I find I can dig in more with the larger size. I've made a mental note to stick with these for a few years before messing around with other picks. Don't want to get too anal about it while I still have my (relative) sanity. :p

I'm guessing just the color? They're both 1.38mm and use the same shape/material, so all that's left is the color.

Differing colours *can* be (not necessarily are) indicative of differing mixes and additives in the material giving varying properties.

I think the regular nylon red and black J3s have differing stiffness.

I bought a pack of thick gravity picks here a month or so ago. Bigger triangle shape that I usually hate but it was all that was in stock and I felt like rolling the dice. I was very surprised at how comfortable they were considering they were much different than my usual Tortex .60 flow picks.

I bought a pack of thick gravity picks here a month or so ago. Bigger triangle shape that I usually hate but it was all that was in stock and I felt like rolling the dice. I was very surprised at how comfortable they were considering they were much different than my usual Tortex .60 flow picks.
I tried gravity picks as well. But didn’t like them as much as V-Pick Screamers. Might give these a shot if you are interested…

I’m very…picky…about picks. I have hundreds of different kinds. I went from fender mediums to tortex yellows to jazz iii back in the day. Then I’ve slowly worked back, from Jazz iii xl to sharp ultex to 1.0mm and working back down. Currently using ultex 0.60mm or orange tortex.

I really like the gravity picks , I honestly figured meh its just a pick , but there is an attack and clarity with those picks that I dig

Whatever song im doing i will try a few different picks till i find the one
tone is in the plectrum

Back