I can’t believe no one else has made a Power Station

paisleywookiee

Rock Star
Fryette’s Power Station is awesome, and is really a Swiss Army knife in that it’s an attenuator, a reamper to make a small amp louder, a power amp for a modeler, a power amp for stereo or Wet/Dry, etc.

But…..they’re never in stock. At least, never when I check.

There’s the BOSS Waza TAE, but it’s problematic, and solid state.

How has no one else saw this, and done it themselves? Patents? It’s not as popular as I think it is?

My guess is its a smaller audience than we’d think here in the gear bubble.

They just moved to a new and bigger shop, which they said should help pick up production. (And hinted at new products in pipeline) I was always amazed they produced anything in that shop they had. Looked like a glorified broom closet. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Friedman is working on a small, mono power amp but that’s all the info he was willing to give on it currently. It seems counteractive for these amp guys who bitch about modelers to not make some solutions to use amps at lower volumes or with DAWs easier. There’s so many “I’d use a tube amp if it were an option” posts out there and only a handful of solutions to keep people away from modeling.

Friedman is working on a small, mono power amp but that’s all the info he was willing to give on it currently. It seems counteractive for these amp guys who bitch about modelers to not make some solutions to use amps at lower volumes or with DAWs easier. There’s so many “I’d use a tube amp if it were an option” posts out there and only a handful of solutions to keep people away from modeling.
No good tube amps, no good class AB solid state.

You can always DIY it with any loadbox + poweramp you like.

The market is probably not that big for something like this.

Power Station being a tube amp isn't a huge plus for me either because it is a bit heavy for an utility device - fine at home but it's always a bit of extra weight to carry and having a busted PS-100 here, I'm not confident about its durability either. Fryette has already made the PS pretty much as small and light as you can go with a tube poweramp.

TAE never gave me any problems and it kills the Quilter powerblock as a power amp. It's class AB and sounds and feels great!

I was just thinking evh should make something small but tube powered for modelers. Would sell like hot cakes lol.

i would not use it to play quiet at all. 100w power section only in a small box would be sweet. loud AF preferred.

i would only use it at rehearsal and for shows. there really isn't much need to fire up tubes at home for me at least, helix into a studio monitor works great.

I bought PS-100 and returned it. 1) vent holes on top - not rack friendly. 2) the hum.
Regarding 2) I wrote to support and never got reply.
Never buying their stuff again.
Yeah, this seems to be the prevailing theme with Fryette, and has been for decades.

TAE never gave me any problems and it kills the Quilter powerblock as a power amp. It's class AB and sounds and feels great!
There were a few reported cases of the load not being sufficient for some amps, and causing issues with output transformers, hence my comment. But the BOSS is really cool, feature-wise.

Fryette’s Power Station is awesome, and is really a Swiss Army knife in that it’s an attenuator, a reamper to make a small amp louder, a power amp for a modeler, a power amp for stereo or Wet/Dry, etc.

But…..they’re never in stock. At least, never when I check.

There’s the BOSS Waza TAE, but it’s problematic, and solid state.

How has no one else saw this, and done it themselves? Patents? It’s not as popular as I think it is?
Those are all of the reasons I pulled the trigger on a PS-100 a couple of years ago. They were constantly in and out if stock at AMS. I clicked the button to notify me when they were in stock. When I got the notification I went and bought it right away. They sold out in a couple of days. I have been very happy with the unit. It has done very well in every situation I have put it in. I was shocked at how good it sounds running a modeler into it then into a guitar cab.

Dave said on a Tone Talk episode that John Suhr was also on that he was pissed at Steven Fryette for making such a great reactive load box. John agreed. He knows what he is going up against. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

I bought PS-100 and returned it. 1) vent holes on top - not rack friendly. 2) the hum.
Regarding 2) I wrote to support and never got reply.
Never buying their stuff again.
I wonder if it was a tube issue. Mine is dead quiet.

I don't use mine in a rack so the vent holes don't bother me. I know they have a rack mount kit for it. The vents are toward the back of the top.

Dave said on a Tone Talk episode that John Suhr was also on that he was pissed at Steven Fryette for making such a great reactive load box. John agreed. He knows what he is going up against. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.
That's weird. The Suhr is generally regarded as a better load box. It doesn't seem to matter when using the PS-2/100 has an attenuator/reamper, but if compared directly as a load for IR's, there's a difference. Dunno, never compared them like that. I only played with the PS-2 for amplifying an FM3, and then for reamping a V:25.

That's weird. The Suhr is generally regarded as a better load box. It doesn't seem to matter when using the PS-2/100 has an attenuator/reamper, but if compared directly as a load for IR's, there's a difference. Dunno, never compared them like that. I only played with the PS-2 for amplifying an FM3, and then for reamping a V:25.

It was a “Damn you for making something so perfect I cant think of a way to improve upon it” thing. That episode was actually playing when I got ready for work this morning.

In that video series that was posted in another thread, the Suhr didn't perform as well as the Fryette. The Fryette has a flatter response.

I think Fryette designed it that way as opposed to Suhr who voiced his based on a Greenback.
An interesting thing on the Fryette, I didn't know that the presence and depth knobs are boost only until I saw a post from a guy that was on the design team for the unit and he said that is how it was designed. It is flat when they are both turned all the way down. I didn't remember seeing that in the manual.

Back