How many Genres of music do you listen to?

My own favorite genre is post-rock (mostly the -95 to -10 era), early Post-Rock. Its an addiction. But im listening to Adele right now... so... yeah. I listen to anything. Jeff Buckley is a hero... so im kinda all over the place. My kids, 8 and 12, constantly makes me listen to new "young" stuff, and that's cool to. Sometimes they sing some old 80's pop songs, then I realize they learned it from some YouTube memes, and they have no clue its an old classic song. Im like... "hey... that song is great one", and they like give me a strange look and say "yeeeeeah dad... whatever...."

I remember when and where I was, and what kind of day it was, and how it made me feel, when I discovered
Jeff died. I'll never forget that moment. Pretty sure it gutted me that entire summer. :(

I remember when and where I was, and what kind of day it was, and how it made me feel, when I discovered
Jeff died. I'll never forget that moment. Pretty sure it gutted me that entire summer. :(
I discover him like a week before that happened… you know the feeling, “wow this is the absolute best music I ever heard” then boom… guy is dead.
I’m trying to find the font for “Grace” and the plan is to print a water sticky thing and put it on my tele headstock (partscaster).
I consider Last Goodbye to have one of most beautiful chordal progressions ever made.

I discover him like a week before that happened… you know the feeling, “wow this is the absolute best music I ever heard” then boom… guy is dead.
I’m trying to find the font for “Grace” and the plan is to print a water sticky thing and put it on my tele headstock (partscaster).
I consider Last Goodbye to have one of most beautiful chordal progressions ever made.

Damn! :(

That would be a great tribute. I may have to steal that idea (and apply it elsewhere).

Igorrr is pretty awesome. kinda hard to pigeon hold that into a genre haha. baroque trip hop metal?!?

my brother lives in chicago and makes footwork / juke EDM. really killer stuff.

grateful dead are one of my favorite bands.

cattle decap was the last big band i paid to see. was a blast.

Was gonna gonna say I listen to all genres, Country and Western, but I'm a little late on that that front.

My first musical Obsession was Wierd Al. My parents grew me up on classic rock/metal and blues. All the kids I grew up with listened to rap (Mac Dre!). Nu-metal and pop-punk became really popular at a more impressionable age so my interests were a mash of all of that.

What ended up happening is if anything sounded remotely like Primus, I was in love.

Oh and if you are into trip hop and haven't listened to DoseOne, Why?, clouddead, or any other Anticon artists, you should.

I can find something appealing in most genres, but that super-behind-the-beat-mumbling rap and any modern country-hop will make me change to something else immediately. My wife listens to radio country and it will be crap, crap, crap, decent song, crap, crap. But I do like a fair amount of '50s country, most of the '70s "outlaw" stuff and some of the '80s and early 2000s. Popular rap is getting back to things I can enjoy.

I'm most likely to listen to metal or jazz, though flamenco and flamenco-influenced fusion has been big lately.

Warning: Hot Take!

Modern Country is incestuous to the core. From the songwriters writing the songs to the labels and
publishing houses commissioning them. It may be the most redundant and regurgitated genre of music
that has ever existed. Pretty much the same melody and harmonic structure is repeated with every artist.
If you can hum the melody to the current song, then it aint far off from the one that is going to play next.

God forbid they have a footstomper. Have to get that bpm at 60-70bpm for the sappy ballad, and 90-100
for the rest of the mid tempo drivel that gets churned out.

#notsorryBro

Modern Country is incestuous to the core. From the songwriters writing the songs to the labels and
publishing houses commissioning them. It may be the most redundant and regurgitated genre of music
that has ever existed. Pretty much the same melody and harmonic structure is repeated with every artist.
If you can hum the melody to the current song, then it aint far off from the one that is going to play next.

God forbid they have a footstomper. Have to get that bpm at 60-70bpm for the sappy ballad, and 90-100

#notsorryBro
I want to walk into a gig and see a modern country band playing a note for note cover of Eastbound and Down :satan

#notsorryBro
Sssshhhhhh dont kill my gigs lol

I'm all over the place. looking a my playlist it has Slayer, Natalie Merchant, Frank Zappa, Cannibal Corpse, Webb Pierce. Weird Al, Smokin Suckaz, Michael Hedges, Motorhead, Beastie Boys, Pentagram, LSD, Tom Jones, BOC, Merle Haggard, Morbid Angel......and on and on.

I want to walk into a gig and see a modern country band playing a note for note cover of Eastbound and Down :satan
Most of them *could*. That's just not what they're being paid for.
Go to a Zac Brown Band show. They'll rip your head off live, but the radio singles are increasingly blah.

Reactions: JT
Back