How many different effects do you use?

mostly just delay for dirty sounds, maybe some chorusing if i want to go 80s session guy tones.

for clean...delay, reverb, and compression, maybe chorusing.

occasionally i will use trem and wah, but that's really about it--maybe a leslie-style effect for a specific four bars or maybe a pre chorus to build something. every once in a long while i will kick in a phaser, vibe, or maybe some flanging.

that said, i have this killer board built by david phillips at LA sound design. i use this with s bogner ecstasy 3534 head into two 412s.

View attachment 2738

View attachment 2737

I triple dog dare you to have an all-Cornish board built, then get sick of it and sell me the pedals on a layaway plan. :rofl

I triple dog dare you to have an all-Cornish board built, then get sick of it and sell me the pedals on a layaway plan. :rofl
ha...you can't fool me with your shaming. i am chinese, and chinese are the jews of the asians. you are a white belt in shaming. i grew up with my parents who are 7th degree black belts in shaming.

ha...you can't fool me with your shaming. i am chinese, and chinese are the jews of the asians. you are a white belt in shaming. i grew up with my parents who are 7th degree black belts in shaming.

I'm not shaming you, I'm serious! I really want you to do this! It's the only way I'll ever get my hands on some Cornish pedals! :rofl We'll call it making amends for selling the Vai Bogner before I had the chance to play it. :LOL:

I'm not shaming you, I'm serious! I really want you to do this! It's the only way I'll ever get my hands on some Cornish pedals! :rofl We'll call it making amends for selling the Vai Bogner before I had the chance to play it. :LOL:
well, you also didn't offer me what the buyer paid!

The template I have been using in Helix has been:

Guitar->boost/overdrive->amp->tremolo->cab/mic->reverb(1)->chorus->delay->reverb(2)

Roughly speaking the boost/overdrive is engaged 60% of the time, the delay 10% of the time, the chorus 50% of the time, and the trem 90% and reverb(2) ~100% of the time, and reverb(1) 80% of the time.

The tremolo is just a thickener so the rate is as low as it will go and the width pretty high and mix low. I use the ~"opti trem" I think it's called. Reverb(2) is a little bit of ambience (switched to the new dynamic ambience reverb recently or prior a room reverb with low mix). Reverb(1) is more of a reverb effect, lately the Helix's dynamic plate. Chorus is low rate, high width, fairly low mix--lately really been enamored by the new Helix 4-voice chorus. I usually have multiple boost/drive blocks in front of the amp but typically only use one at a time. Delay is long repeats/low mix/low feedback more for additional ambience.

My impressionable phase was late 70s through mid 80s and Rush was a huge influence so I'm a bit of a chorus junkie. I don't invest much effort trying to replicate exact tones from records, just shoot for "the spirit" of stuff I like to bash out. I can cover a lot of ground with that template well enough to keep me reasonably inspired. Amps and cabs vary and sometimes require different boost/overdrive choices, which is why I tend to keep 2-3 choices in there.

With my proper amp (PT-15 IR) I sometimes put a drive pedal in front but tend to not engage it much. I only have 3 choices and while all are decent none of them knock my socks off with the amp. Most of the time I just plug straight into the amp and switch between channels to go from clean->crunch->overdriven. Overdriven to me is not truly overdriven/high gain by contemporary standards.

Not sure if this is at one time or on the pedalboard, but while I have quite a few effects on my boards, I only use maybe 5-6 at most for 98% of what I do. Typically, it is less than that.

EMG Power thing (for my guitars) -> Whammy DT -> Crybaby wah (I have a few, currently using a 95F) -> Boss BF-3 Flanger -> Boss Phaser (I forget the code for it) -> drive satellite board -> Two Notes Cab M+ -> Boss DD-8 (tape, "short"; about half of the next delay)-> Boss DD-7 (analog, "long"; about twice the prior delay) -> Boss RV-6 (plate)

Back