How many different effects do you use?

We've talked about adding Wild Thing too, as well as Lose Yourself, the latter of which the bass players calls his "white whale" in terms of being able to rap it perfectly one day.
We chatted about Lose Yourself as well. It's serious business. And without a piano; I don't know how well it would fare? I dig the "guitar part" in it.

This is about as "stripped down" as I can get, nothing will really go unused during the course of a show

E4-DFF71-C-A8-E7-4-D26-9-E0-B-B78-A04-EE5246.jpg

None, really. If you're not counting input gate, post-amp boost controlled by an output parameter, a little bit of plate reverb, a touch of delay, some up front compression on cleans, a little overdrive for the poke-out parts, tremolo that's usually found on amps, yeah pretty much dry

I love all the effects. I can't think of an effect I don't love. Their usage rate, though, is
super variable. It all depends on the song, the instruments/players in the group, where
I need to sit. Gotta have some dry signal in there otherwise everything can just be a
messy wash of trails and tails.

I have found that a wet/dry setup works best for me, that way I can indulge in FX
more and not lose all the immediacy and attack from the notes I am playing.

This is just my personal preference, but I enjoy and gain better results from a wet/dry
rig than I do a true stereo or dual mono rig. I keep all the time based FX AFTER amps/dirt
and will run some Phaser and Vibe IN FRONT of amps/dirt.

Essentials are always having a Boost, some 'Verb, and Delay accessible. Those are not
optional. But not all of those will be on all the time. I am still a fan of the totally Dry signal
especially as a foundation upon which to layer other sparkly bits.

#embracethedry :crazy

I mainly run an Axe FX II for my effects with my amps. I use one preset and use a Morningstar MC-8 MIDI pedal to control it, which allows me to move in and out of scenes and there’s a second screen in the MC-8 I use for stomp boxes. I’m only using 1 preset in the Axe FX, and these are the effects blocks I have setup in there:

Pre effects:
Wah (controlled by an expression pedal)
Compressor (for cleans)
Drive (SD1 for rhythm, FAS Boost for leads)

my amp’s preamp goes in the FX loop

Post effects:
Chorus (only for cleans, with a second option for de-tune if I want to go all Zakk Wylde for a day)
Pitch (a +/- harmonic 3rds in B minor, and I change the key if I need it, and the Pitch block is rarely used)
Delay (two delay sounds, 2290 w/ mod for cleans, ping-pong for leads)
Reverb (two reverb sounds, Deep Space for cleans and Concert Hall for leads)

I have a second pedalboard for my smaller rig with an HX Effects as the main unit, and I use it pretty much the same as above, just a little simpler. That i have three pedals in a loop, two overdrive pedals (a MXR Sugar Drive, and an SD1), and a Digitech Whammy Riccochet which is like a full whammy pedal only in a small pedal format and controlled 100% by the button.

For my main presets I keep it pretty simple and have some templates saved in AxeEdit because I use the same general effects for every amp, then have separate presets for the crazier stuff.

Input-Pitch-Wah-Phaser-Chorus-Drive-Drive-Amp-Gate-Cab then a delay and reverb in parallel and lastly another delay (Reverse delay) at the very end of the chain in series.

They aren’t all on all the time, I just figure using that as a template covers the majority of ground I’d be using that preset for. The reverse delay thing is now one of my ‘things’ that I put in every preset. The main delay is always a 1/4, with the reverse being 1/2 and mixed quite a bit lower, it just kind of floats around in the background and you never know exactly what it’ll pick up, which keeps things interesting and provides plenty of ear candy when listening with headphones.

For my main presets I keep it pretty simple and have some templates saved in AxeEdit because I use the same general effects for every amp, then have separate presets for the crazier stuff.

Input-Pitch-Wah-Phaser-Chorus-Drive-Drive-Amp-Gate-Cab then a delay and reverb in parallel and lastly another delay (Reverse delay) at the very end of the chain in series.

They aren’t all on all the time, I just figure using that as a template covers the majority of ground I’d be using that preset for. The reverse delay thing is now one of my ‘things’ that I put in every preset. The main delay is always a 1/4, with the reverse being 1/2 and mixed quite a bit lower, it just kind of floats around in the background and you never know exactly what it’ll pick up, which keeps things interesting and provides plenty of ear candy when listening with headphones.
Templates w/ 4 expression/continuous controllers, FTW

Tenacious D Reaction GIF

This thread needs some spillover switching.

This thread needs a Switchblade Sound Sculpture :D
1668238361939.png

1668238372563.png

Before the FAS era I had the Eventide Eclipse connected at the FX loop of the Boss GT-Pro. I complained at the Eventide Forum that the Eclipse, besides no delay/reverb spillover, it had a silent gap (totally silent, not even a dry bypass) of almost one second when switching between presets with different algorithms. That was a PITA when the Eclipse was in series (e.g.: for modulation effects). Unusable to make changes during a song. I got a reply from Italo, the Eventide resident expert, saying: "That happens when you use and Eventide with non-professional gear; you need something like a Switchblade".

I did LOL a lot because the deficient and unprofessional gear was the Eventide, not the GT-Pro. Unlike the Eclipse, the GT-Pro had gapless switch between presets, and delay/reverb spillover

Last edited:
I am still a fan of the totally Dry signal
especially as a foundation upon which to layer other sparkly bits.

#embracethedry :crazy
When a song needs to make an 'immediate' statement, nothing works like turning everything off, and having some tight, palm-muted, Mesa high-gain!

For me, I'm a bit all over the shop. Some songs are pretty straight forward. A delay, and amp channels. Other songs I've got pitch effects, ebow, slide, three delays, two different kinds of reverb, noise-gate, EQ.

That's how I ended up using the Helix as my main effects unit, certainly for live. I get really tweaky sometimes.

mostly just delay for dirty sounds, maybe some chorusing if i want to go 80s session guy tones.

for clean...delay, reverb, and compression, maybe chorusing.

occasionally i will use trem and wah, but that's really about it--maybe a leslie-style effect for a specific four bars or maybe a pre chorus to build something. every once in a long while i will kick in a phaser, vibe, or maybe some flanging.

that said, i have this killer board built by david phillips at LA sound design. i use this with s bogner ecstasy 3534 head into two 412s.

bogner 3534 rig.JPG

LASD board.jpeg

Last edited:
My baseline is "a bit of overdrive, a bit of reverb". Roll back the guitar volume for clean, roll it up for a more driven sound.

Then I pile on a boost to kick it up a notch. Or add a delay for the big solo. Or add a bit of compression on a clean sound.

I sometimes use a bit of modulation. Chorus on cleans, some flanging or phasing here and there.

But most of the time it's one or two effects enabled at once. Some might do double duty like a tape echo with a bit of modulation happening or the same thing with a reverb.

Back