How many different effects do you use?

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
How many different effects do you use? Are you a 8-delays-in-a-preset junkie, or do you only ever use a boost and a slapback??

Regardless of gear... how many different effects are you using at once usually?

Reverb is always on, Delay comes and goes, a drive / boost occasionally for more joose on top of my base sound.
Maaaaaaybe a chorus for clean sounds, but that's pretty rare.

main patch on my helix has:

comp, boost, phaser, flanger, octave up, octave down, clean amp sim, dirty amp sim, noise gate, delay, infinite delay, reverb, cab sim that only goes to XLR.

All of them. :LOL:

I start pretty minimally and tend to stack things over the course of a song / jam. It's rare that I've got more than a drive and delay sound going, but during intense feedback-laded spacey out there shit, I'm using everything at once.

All of 'em.
Oh, at once...? Sometimes none; I like a little chorus & delay in most things, but generally backed off, unless I want it out front. Boost & gain from the amp. I'm not really into Drives.

Boost on some amps, maybe some reverb and delay for leads and cleans, multiband compressor because I live in digital land.

The sky is the limit. Give me more CPU and more instances of each effect at my Axe-FX III, and I will surely make good use of it.

I have a wish to allow six instances of several effects (Drive, Pitch, Vol/Pan, Synth, IR Player,...) to allow hex-processing with the GK2 and a hex-split box (the Axe-FX III has 7 inputs: one for each string and one for the regular pickups).

Someone who has more money than me is currently using three Axe-FX III to do hex processing (three is a thread at the FAS forum but I cannot find it)

Last edited:
Often nothing, maybe some barely-noticeable room reverb, occasionally a TS-9.

I like hearing my exact picking and pure amp tone.

Although, after 30 years of playing, I did just start using a noise gate with my tube amps and am liking it. Does that count as an effect?

Pre:
clean boost for Strat (#1 guitar is LP)
wah
OD/fuzz
octave down (for "fake bass" while bass player raps)
octave up (octavia)
phase, vibe
tape delay (sometimes)

chorus, flanger
3 main delays: light 400ms or wetter 440ms for solos, 1/4 tap tempo very wet for trippy/echo-y solos
song-specific delays (She Sells Sanctuary intro, for example)
+ 2dB clean boost for solos
EQ for fake bass
looper (for home use)

All of this is with the FM9 (+Keeley Fuzz Head) using 4 presets, with my Mesa Electra Dyne head and cab.

Nice! I rap that one as well! We do a number of rap songs that go over and I am always trying to find new ones to add.

Sweet! Yes, it goes over really well and is a fun total-180 turn from the rest of our classic rock-based stuff. I sing the woman's part in the chorus. :grin People can't compute what they're seeing with what they're hearing, with both his rapping and my singing... :rofl

Good for you! I could never rap or remember all those rapid-fire lyrics. What other ones do you do? (Sorry for thread tangent, @Orvillain .)

Animated GIF

Fractal AxeFx3 owner …

Sweet! Yes, it goes over really well and is a fun total-180 turn from the rest of our classic rock-based stuff. I sing the woman's part in the chorus. :grin People can't compute what they're seeing with what they're hearing, with both his rapping and my singing... :rofl

Good for you! I could never rap or remember all those rapid-fire lyrics. What other ones do you do? (Sorry for thread tangent, @Orvillain .)
Tricky/Wild Thing; Baby Got Back. We used to do Humpty Dance and Rapper's Delight. Humpty Dance was awesome but going into the chorus was always an odd transition. I have to be very mindful of the tempo I start Bust A Move at because I will be passing out from lack of oxygen if I am too excited about the project :oops:

I have to be very mindful of the tempo I start Bust A Move at because I will be passing out from lack of oxygen if I am too excited about the project :oops:

Yes! I always take a breath and chill before starting it, so that it's a good tempo for him to rap and not be gasping for air at the end. The song also grooves much better when not feeling rushed.

Tricky/Wild Thing; Baby Got Back. We used to do Humpty Dance and Rapper's Delight. Humpty Dance was awesome but going into the chorus was always an odd transition. I have to be very mindful of the tempo I start Bust A Move at because I will be passing out from lack of oxygen if I am too excited about the project :oops:

We've talked about adding Wild Thing too, as well as Lose Yourself, the latter of which the bass players calls his "white whale" in terms of being able to rap it perfectly one day.

• Love
Reactions: JT
Back