How do you feel when you first ding your guitar?

I always dread it. When I dinged my JP6, I could hardly play it because I was so focused on the little dings on the upper horn. I’m a little less consumed with the dings now that I’m medicated (OCD, baby), but pre-medication eggplant would be distraught over any kind of damage to my gear (or my belongings in general - furniture, cars, even power tools and similar equipment, which may sound ridiculous but yeah that shit would bother me too). Now I just get really bummed because usually the damage is from me being careless or a bit too toasted.
Glad you are doing better. I was quite upset with myself on the first one, took a few days to let it go. The second guitar wasn't nearly as bad for me.

Last month I slammed my LP into the corner of my desk and created a slit about an 1/8th” deep a little more than a quarter of an inch long. I kinda shrugged it off as “cool, it’s first bit of character”. I’ve had it a little more than a year and it’s a keeper, so that played a big part in my reaction. If it was relatively new or I was on the fence about keeping it I would have been pissed, but at some point these little scratches and dings become part of the guitars character.

Oddly enough I’m more irritated with the shiny spot on the face of my matte baked blue Jackson HT7 than any dings. A ding or dent I can fix or ignore, that shiny spot mocks me every time I look at the guitar. Bastard.

I’m a believer in the philosophy of Kintsugi, that imperfections and repairs are part of the journey and history of an object, and the object becomes more beautiful because of them.

I love dents, dings, scratches in my guitars because they tell stories. They remind me of all the history and memories I have with that guitar

Last month I slammed my LP into the corner of my desk and created a slit about an 1/8th” deep a little more than a quarter of an inch long. I kinda shrugged it off as “cool, it’s first bit of character”. I’ve had it a little more than a year and it’s a keeper, so that played a big part in my reaction. If it was relatively new or I was on the fence about keeping it I would have been pissed, but at some point these little scratches and dings become part of the guitars character.
Totally agree, these were both new. My Les Paul that I usually play is quite beat up and it gives it character.

Oddly enough I’m more irritated with the shiny spot on the face of my matte baked blue Jackson HT7 than any dings. A ding or dent I can fix or ignore, that shiny spot mocks me every time I look at the guitar. Bastard.
This is why I never play the Holcomb 7...

I had a satin ES-335 for a bit, and anywhere I touched the guitar would shine up like Daniel-san had been practicing karate on it. I was able to knock back the shine using 3M scouring pads. Might be just what your Jackson needs to stop mocking you... :idk

I had a satin ES-335 for a bit, and anywhere I touched the guitar would shine up like Daniel-san had been practicing karate on it. I was able to knock back the shine using 3M scouring pads. Might be just what your Jackson needs to stop mocking you... :idk
OR…

Or…

It could make it worse. Then those sumb€#tches win!!!

No… we won’t let them. Not this time. Not.this.time….

A few times I considered just buffing out my Solar so it’s all a gloss finish, but fuck it, I probably wouldn’t dig it as much after.

A few times I considered just buffing out my Solar so it’s all a gloss finish, but fuck it, I probably wouldn’t dig it as much after.
I thought about that too. Watched a pile of guitar refinishing videos, considered and dismissed multiple ways to address it including polish the whole thing, then finally did the Geddy Lee “… you still have made a choice” thing. :ROFLMAO:

How do I feel when I ding my guitar?

Excited Season 2 GIF by The Office

I got myself a nice Sandberg Bass 10 years ago, got a nice ding in the lacker the first week haha!
( all I could see was that ding on the front ) it was black, but it did not look good at all

I felt bad for a few days after I dinged my main gigging guitar. Afterwards, I cared less about adding a few more scars. In fact, I feel more comfortable playing it.

My reaction has always been with all my gear; "Well, it's mine now." and move on in a few seconds.

I also don't understand people who always think about resale value, where's the joy in that?
I'm the type who voids the warranty in the first day of owning the piece of gear, open it up, unsolder and drill shit. :LOL:

When I was a lot younger, I wasn't nearly as careful.

My most recent guitar is 2 years old, and has never even been bumped against anything. I even changed my picking technique, and no longer rest my fingers on the body, which would put light scratches on the finish, so now I play it a lot more than when I first got it, simply because I really wanted to keep it mint.

But my first "real" guitar, my 80 LP Silverburst, was still mint when I let a buddy use it as a backup at an outdoor party gig, and sure enough, he broke a string, used mine, and when I got up to play it, it had buckle rash. I was crushed! Especially since I didn't do it, and even though I was still new to playing guitar, I knew to take off my belt!

But before I learned about strap locks, I once dropped it to the floor, and fortunately didn't hurt it. It wasn't until I somehow made a cymbal stand fall down, and the cymbal put a small "cut" on the edge of the fretboard, that it got its first, owner-inflicted ding. But by that time, since it already had the buckle rash, I didn't beat myself up too much about it.

But natural wear, like the wear-hole through the finish on my LP from resting my pinky on the body, I don't care about. My green Majesty has the same thing starting on the bridge PU route. (But shouldn't get any worse, since I don't do that any more.)

So I really try to keep my guitars blemish-free, because it matters to me. They're beautiful, and I want to keep them that way.

I also don't understand people who always think about resale value, where's the joy in that?
I'm the type who voids the warranty in the first day of owning the piece of gear, open it up, unsolder and drill shit. :LOL:
I stupidly totally killed any resale value on my 87 PRS. I got so sick and tired of that stupid raised edge along the perimeter of the top cutting into my arm when I practiced sitting down, that I took a sander to it, and sanded it off in that area where my arm rested.

That one was intentional at the time, and I felt like, IDGAF, it's MY guitar, and I'm never selling it! But later on, I had a change of heart, and realized I really fucked up. Don't even like to think about it.

So if anyone ever wants to by an 87 PRS Std trem cheap, HMU. I don't even play it any more. My Majesties have totally taken over in the, "guitars that play like butter" department, which is why I bought it in the first place. It has the sweet switch, and that stupid 5-way rotary knob, and moon inlays. But it is very easy to play. And ergonomic!! :rofl :facepalm

Back