Home setup - large floor modelers

dk_ace

Roadie
Super boring question, but for FM9, helix, etc users when you are set up at home where is the floor modeler set up in conjunction with computer, speakers, desk, etc?

I’ve always had my helix set up on the floor in front of my speakers. No desk, the computer just comes in and gets set somewhere (edge of a desk on my right or top of an amp on my left) when I’m gearing up for a gig to program the songs. I therefore use the helix onboard programming for most of what I’m doing if it isn’t programming a set list.

I’m probably purchasing an FM9 soon though, and don’t expect to use the onboard UI as much as I do with Helix. Expecting I’ll use the editor more but have a somewhat hybrid approach still.

So I moved everything to a desk setup after my gigs this weekend which is what I expected most people do, but now the hardware isn’t very accessible because it’s under the desk. I don’t think I like that, wondering what others are doing and if there’s a better way to set this stuff up.

D

When my Helix is at home it’s always connected to the PC and sits under my desk but all the buttons and stuff are still accessible. It’s also my I/O for recording.

image.jpg
image.jpg

bought an AxeFX 3 because I hated having the FM-3 on the desk and cables being a mess.

If you are gigging and rehearsing and moving it around, I'd rely on the editing software as much as possible. Bending down sucks, but it also inhibits so much of the purpose of actually using a modeller if its on a desk (and creates other issues)

With the Helix, it was always a bit bad because of the built in EXP pedal (which I however like for live playing), so I kept it on the floor and pretty much exclusively used the editor. Less than ideal IMO because I'm doing enough mouse stuff when working with the DAW and what not.
Ever since I switched back to a hybrid setup, the main board is sitting on my utilitiy case, roughly as high as my chair, so everything is always within arms reach. I have it placed to my right, so I can hold a chord/note and fool around with knobs. Wah, volume and occasionally a looper pedal are then sitting on the floor.
That way, I rarely need to reach for the HX Stomp editor (the only device needing some serious editing here and there anyway).

We are all different. One person's problem is someone else's solution. And someone else's solution
is someone else's problem.

I do love and value the consistent and resounding consensus we all build here on a daily basis. :beer

IMG_5465.jpeg

Right in my living room. It’s been in the same general vicinity since I got it a week after they went on sale, unless it left for a gig.

With the Helix, it was always a bit bad because of the built in EXP pedal (which I however like for live playing), so I kept it on the floor and pretty much exclusively used the editor. Less than ideal IMO because I'm doing enough mouse stuff when working with the DAW and what not.
Ever since I switched back to a hybrid setup, the main board is sitting on my utilitiy case, roughly as high as my chair, so everything is always within arms reach. I have it placed to my right, so I can hold a chord/note and fool around with knobs. Wah, volume and occasionally a looper pedal are then sitting on the floor.
That way, I rarely need to reach for the HX Stomp editor (the only device needing some serious editing here and there anyway).

This is what I’m wondering about. Wont work well with my helix rig with external pedals and stuff, but it could with FM9. Expression pedal on the floor, fm9 on a platform of some type to be roughly chair height to my left.

D

I kept my Helix Floor on my desk much of the time. The editing software (at that time) had a couple of blind spots relating to global setup, etc. But yeah, the footprint is enormous in that context. This is a big part of the reason I eventually went with QC.

I keep mine on the sidecar next to my desk with an expression pedal on the floor for wah's and stuff.

I can put it on the floor if need be, but I typically record, so switching presets isn't something I do on the fly...

A big reason I keep it up there is because the only way to change the usb7 dry signal is through the global menu.. Can't do it in hxedit, unfortunately and it's something I change a lot.
Old pic, but setup is about the same.

31GQq81.jpg

Last edited:
My FM3 board isn't that big, but it does have 2 expression pedals and a tuner on a Pedaltrain Classic Jr., so it's a bit bigger than just the FM3.

Anyway, I just have it off to my left near the desk's feet. It's over there so that when I'm playing sitting and I go to step on it, I don't smash my headstock into the desk or something. It works fine.

Also, yes, mostly using the software editor. I don't like bending over, and I don't get the point of putting it on the desk.

Back