Monitors -> iLoud Micro Monitor -> is there a *PASSIVE* equivalent (?)

BenIfin

Roadie
Hey all !

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this ... so mods please move if I'm wrong.

For the longest time I've used and still use my original old NS10's for my home monitoring ... yep .. I'm that guy ... and yep ... I *know* what you are going to say .... but I know the sound inside out and my ears love them ... and know how to tweak sounds at home that transfer spot-on live ... no problems there.

Am curious though about adding a 2nd set of small monitors and the iLoud Micro Monitor seem to get universal praise etc.....

I was about to pull the trigger and then saw that these are powered.

I have a great old SS NAD 3130 Amp and am only after a *passive* set up 2nd monitors.

So ..... is there a *passive* equivalent to the iLoud Micro Monitors ?

Any help / guidance would be appreciated as monitor speakers etc... are not a huge area of knowledge for me.

Thanks,
Ben

You're unlikely to find a passive equivalent in that form factor and price point.

IIRC, part of the magic of these tiny speakers is that they use DSP for the crossover, eq, and phase compensation to squeeze the best from the drivers. Once you go passive, you now have to accomplish that at higher power levels (the DSP operates before the driver amplifiers) and are squarely back in the traditional realm of higher end design and calibrated components.

But to the prior point, why do you need passive monitors? Why can't you work with a line level signal?

why do they need to be passive? or why is it so important to use that specific amp?

You're unlikely to find a passive equivalent in that form factor and price point.

IIRC, part of the magic of these tiny speakers is that they use DSP for the crossover, eq, and phase compensation to squeeze the best from the drivers. Once you go passive, you now have to accomplish that at higher power levels (the DSP operates before the driver amplifiers) and are squarely back in the traditional realm of higher end design and calibrated components.

But to the prior point, why do you need passive monitors? Why can't you work with a line level signal?

My Amp isn't specific ... guess I'm just old school. Don't like the idea of running an extra 2 x IEC Power Cables just for 2 speakers ..... yep its illogical, I know.

Plus my NAD Amp has 2 separate speaker connections which I can select just by turning a knob on the front and going back and forth.

Did a bit of quick Googling and it *seems* like anything passive [ and considered good ] in a similar "small" size is 3 x the price of the powered IK's ?!?!?

Looks like I'm s.o.o.l.

Ben

My Amp isn't specific ... guess I'm just old school. Don't like the idea of running an extra 2 x IEC Power Cables just for 2 speakers ..... yep its illogical, I know.

Plus my NAD Amp has 2 separate speaker connections which I can select just by turning a knob on the front and going back and forth.

Did a bit of quick Googling and it *seems* like anything passive [ and considered good ] in a similar "small" size is 3 x the price of the powered IK's ?!?!?

Looks like I'm s.o.o.l.

Ben
One iec cable

Back