Hey Mesa, MVII:25 ???

Achilles

Rock Star
Anyone have any insight as to whether they plan on doing with the VII what they did with the V?
Would love a mini head with just 6 of the voices, like they did with the V:25.

Last edited:
I hope they'd do a more sensible channel setup though. Two identical channels you can toggle between 6 voicings each instead of the 3+3 on the V:25.

And an amp this small really should not have a real spring reverb tank on it. Digital reverb would be a much better choice.

I was thinking more along the lines of having two 3-ways on each channel.

Or do a Bogner and use a rotary.

swd1nbgbugkjkq1tf0xk.jpg

Anyone have any insight as to whether they plan on doing with the VII what they did with the V?
Would love a mini head with just 6 of the voices, like they did with the V:25.
As someone who works with a Mesa dealer, I unfortunately have no info, and am just as curious. It's got to be coming though. Example: current sales on V:25's and V:35's.

The Mark V:25's modes were the way they were because the amp was a two channel amp, meaning it had two independent preamp circuits, and each mode within them was basically setup to toggle various gain stages and other components in and out of the channel.

For example, you couldn't just "move" the Crunch mode to channel 2, because the Crunch mode was what you got when you added more gain stages to channel 1's unique preamp circuit, which was entirely different than channel 2's preamp circuit.

However, the Crunch mode on that amp is so good that personally I'd love to see a new 25w Mark design take the Mark V 25 and give the Crunch mode its own dedicated set of front panel knobs. That way it could be wired as its own channel and could therefore be made footswitchable alongside the clean and high gain modes. Yeah that would mean the amp would have to be a physically larger amp to accommodate the "3rd" channel but the Mark V25 weighed like 12 lb or some absurdly light figure like that so I'd be ok with a couple more pounds if it meant a footswitchable Crunch mode.

84s work pretty damn amazingly in the V:25 though. Don't just ask me.
Up to a certain point, yes. The V25 is a better bedroom amp than the Mini Rectifier, but it still has a headroom problem in that it's just slightly not loud enough to jam with a metal band with. Your volume maxes out at about 11 o'clock on the master knob and beyond that it's just El84 distortion/saturation. That's why they make the V35, which takes the same idea but makes it loud enough by adding 2 more EL84s.

Both amps sound great, but the V35 is IMO superior to the V25 because you have substantially more headroom.

I’d rather they do 6V6s if they do a mini VII. They’re currently doing 6V6s in the Fillmore 25 and California Tweed 20. A mini Mark VII with 6V6s will rule.
I wouldn’t want 6V6 just due to availability. Not a lot of companies making tubes to begin with, and 6V6 is just made by one, I believe.

Considering the full size has 7 modes, which mode would you be willing to skip for a 25 watter?

Back