How to get guitar and bass tones from one guitar?

Hadn’t thought about the chords part. But, I have been figuring this isn’t going to sound like a guitar player and bass player, but more like some weird, morphed beast of odd frequencies… sort of like my normal stuff. :ROFLMAO:
Adam Sandler Home GIF

Well, that experiment lasted about 26 hours. :rofl

The pedal I got had just enough latency to make it sound like a guitar with bass reverb.

Yeah…

Woulda been great if I was going for the 1980s Mall SynthKeyboard Keetar crowd.

But, I’ll leave that demographic to @LiveeviL2000

The EH Pog stuff does ok (i prefer it for other stuff than bass), but for your needs I’d suggest the Boss OC5. It lets you limit what strings get octave down going to bass amp while having a dry out to split to guitar amp.

The pedal I got had just enough latency to make it sound like a guitar with bass reverb.

Yeah…

Ugh... Sorry to hear that. Which one introduced the latency?

Yeah…

Don't you have a Helix Rack? Some routing and a pitch block could go a long way. Hell, you could do that on a Stomp

Don't you have a Helix Rack? Some routing and a pitch block could go a long way. Hell, you could do that on a Stomp
Good thinking. Maybe I'll fool around with that this weekend and see what I can hear.

EHX makes the Bass9 which I think is specifically designed for what you want to do. Another thing I’ve thought of trying is the submarine pickup.

Go wild with the HX rack. I didn't know you had it. When I think of bands that use this type of setup; I think Muse and White Stripes and pretty every thing as far away from death metal as you are going to get. Now if you aren't trying to work in that style; the concept is a lot more do-able imo.

I did that in a gigging band for almost 4 years. Bassist bailed a couple of weeks before
a run of shows, and we decided to not let him ruin all of our hard work, so we plowed ahead.

I split my signal out of the guitar, and then to two different amps/rigs. One was a Marshall based
guitar rig and the other was a dedicated "clean" bass setup with an POG, only using the 2 Octave
down slider (and maybe mixing in some dry signal, and then into a power amp and either a 1 x15
or a 1x 18.

tzmr7shnts76rh1wnhpt.jpg

I just cratered the sliders not used, and then pumped up the ones needed. This was around
2004-8, so there wasn't a lot of other options. Things like the Drop and Whammy DT didn't exist,
and analog octavers had super sketchy tracking. Not really an issue now, though you may have a
little latency to wrestle with.

I also ended up incorporating a Baritone guitar down the road, and relearning all of my parts, just
so I could bring even more thunder with a "guitar." :rawk

All of our gigs went really well, and we were told we had a unique sound and approach and ended up
not even looking for a Bassist. Some people would look to see where he/she was and they never found
them. So as odd as it may sound to some, it ended up also being a cool hook/talking point for people
who would come see us.

It was a Power Trio with 2 guitars and drums, and no actual bassist. :idk
black-dragon-hp-split-01__47411.1595422830.jpg

Instrument cables to separate pedals/amps/rigs. I'd say the biggest challenge was hauling the extra gear,
and then soloing. Riffing/chording was fine. But if I dropped out for a lead line or something melodic
all the ass left the woman in the room. :LOL:

I am excited about you chasing this down, and curious how you work it out. :beer
Rad!!

So yeah there’s three angles to this. One is getting the guitar transposed and producing a timbre reasonably similar to that of a bass guitar. The second (the easiest one) is routing that signal to a bass rig (real or modeled) independent of the guitar signal. The third (probably most difficult) angle is filtering out unwanted strings/ notes/ frequencies so you’re only hearing a “bass line” and not just an entire guitar part octaved down. Crossovers steep enough to do this convincingly aren’t common (curious about the OC5) so most people aiming for this wind up with a hex pickup and string splits. This also allows you to mute strings en route to your guitar processing, so you can play legit independent bass parts instead of just banging out roots under barre chords.

I’m not working on the live thing anymore; I just want my guitar to sound as near to a bass as possible when I’m recording a demo and I’m too lazy to pull out a bass. The Mooer Tone Match thingie I mentioned earlier showed up tonight and I’m going to start experimenting with repurposing (abusing lol) over the next couple of days. Will report back.

Remember the Digitech Trio? It was marketed as a "band creator", and iirc it created a bass and drum part based off whatever guitar part you played into it. Or maybe you had to program the drums? I dunno, but maybe just turn the drum volume off and use the bass producing function to lay down some low end in the vein of what you are playing?
Not Bad Kind Of GIF by MOODMAN

Edit: Hopefully Digitech Trio is not the bass reverb pedal!

Remember the Digitech Trio? It was marketed as a "band creator", and iirc it created a bass and drum part based off whatever guitar part you played into it. Or maybe you had to program the drums? I dunno, but maybe just turn the drum volume off and use the bass producing function to lay down some low end in the vein of what you are playing?
the league television GIF by hero0fwar

Edit: Hopefully Digitech Trio is not the bass reverb pedal!
But I think @Iron1 is looking for a performance solution. The Trio didn't create bass parts in real-time based on what you were playing; it required that you "program" it in advance by playing a chord sequence. You could save multiple presets, though, so maybe this would be useful for him?

(The drums were a matter of selecting a genre and kit and one or two other parameters and saving those along with any given preset. They later released the Trio+, which added an integrated looper.)

Back