Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kramer

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

metropolis_4

Shredder
I decided I want an ‘80s style Super Strat. Just for fun (but you never know when a run of Rock of Ages or The Wedding Singer might pop up).

I don’t want to spend more than $1,000 or so. Biggest considerations are fretwork quality, hardware quality, stability.

Floyd Rose, 22-24 frets, bridge humbucker. Everything else negotiable

Some of you guys know this realm much better than I do, what do you think?

I'd go with the Genesis, if you don't mind a thinner style neck. MIJ for $1000 is hard to beat and people seem to love them. I've come close to getting, and wanted a white one for a while. The Charvel would be my 2nd pick.

There are 1,000 choices in this realm, and you can’t go wrong with any of them. Charvels are easy to come by and hard to beat.

As mentioned, Ibanez has A LOT in that category as well. Jackson, hell, even an old Carvin, Hamer, or Kramer, at a good price would do it as well.

If you don’t want to get buried in choices, I’d just pick a Charvel in a color you like and be done with it.

My hands just can’t do the Wizard necks anymore. For me, the Charvel necks are the perfect shredder neck IMO, but YMMV. I’ve yet to try a Schecter Sun Valley, but I’ve heard good thing about them.

With that said, I prefer boat-necks or thick c-shaped necks these days.

Same here. I can "shred" better on a boatneck because it suits me more and I don't get hand fatigue. It's my preferred neck profile, but I can adjust like most players and have other necks I like as well. I haven't played a ton of wizard necks but I don't mind them, it wouldn't deter me from getting one unless it was just plan uncomfortable.

My hands just can’t do the Wizard necks anymore. For me, the Charvel necks are the perfect shredder neck IMO, but YMMV. I’ve yet to try a Schecter Sun Valley, but I’ve heard good thing about them.

Same here. I can "shred" better on a boatneck because it suits me more and I don't get hand fatigue. It's my preferred neck profile, but I can adjust like most players and have other necks I like as well. I haven't played a ton of wizard necks but I don't mind them, it wouldn't deter me from getting one unless it was just plan uncomfortable.

You guys are making me start to think I’d better go play some RGs and see how they feel. I used to like Wizard necks but it has been about 15 years since I’ve played one

The Charvel and the Ibanez are my choice.
Both amazing value but always go and play a bunch and cherry pick.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_3135.jpeg

Ok I swapped a few things and did a bit of work. But now they both are up there with anything costing much more.

Funny enough, although I think the Charvels have the best specs on paper, don’t overlook the current Kramers. Some of the finishes/graphics aside, they are fairly well spec’ed, and many seem to have more rounded necks compared to the usual suspects.

Have you Looked @ Solar at all? Very Nice Guitars for the price

Ebony Board, SS frets, Floyd Rose 1000, locking tuners

1688387719537.png

Last edited:
The Charvel and the Ibanez are my choice.
Both amazing value but always go and play a bunch and cherry pick.
View attachment 8553
View attachment 8554
Ok I swapped a few things and did a bit of work. But now they both are up there with anything costing much more.

I love the look of that RG with the nickel pickup covers! :love

I’ve been tempted to go RG because I have a lot of good memories with those guitars. You made a strong case for the Charvel in the other thread. With my wild humidity problems a graphite reinforced neck sounds like a good thing to consider

Funny enough, although I think the Charvels have the best specs on paper, don’t overlook the current Kramers. Some of the finishes/graphics aside, they are fairly well spec’ed, and many seem to have more rounded necks compared to the usual suspects.

I’ve been curious about the Kramers. Something about the idea of a super stripped down, single bridge humbucker, volume knob, Floyd, nothing else, really appeals to me

Have you Looked @ Solar at all? Very Nice Guitars for the price

Ebony Board, SS frets, Floyd Rose 1000, locking tuners

View attachment 8568

I’m sure they’re amazing!

This may be dumb, but I seriously hate reverse headstocks and would never even consider a guitar that has one.
And Solar don’t seem to do anything but reverse headstocks.

I’ve been curious about the Kramers. Something about the idea of a super stripped down, single bridge humbucker, volume knob, Floyd, nothing else, really appeals to me
I put together a 1/2 Kramer partscaster. The neck was from the 1st guitar I bought with my own money at a pawn shop. The body is long gone so grabbed a soloist body from Warmoth. I refretted with gold, super jumbo frets.

Sorry for posting a selfish photo in your thread:grin:
Kramer-1.png

I’m sure they’re amazing!

This may be dumb, but I seriously hate reverse headstocks and would never even consider a guitar that has one.
Yeah I know I'm not crazy about those reverse either

Yeah I know I'm not crazy about those reverse either
Funny, they're probably the coolest reverse headstock I've seen, and maybe the only one that doesn't jump out at you.

Back