Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Schecter Sun Valley

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kramer

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
What should I be looking for with bridges?

I get lost in all the Floyd variations. Is there anything I should look for? Anything I should stay away from?

Floyd Rose Special is bad. Floyd Rose 1000 is good. Official Floyd Rose (OFR) is better, and the Gotoh Floyd is best. :p
This ^^, but not many Guitars Come with OFR or Gotoh
For My needs a Floyd Rose is not required i dont do any punishing trem
My Dk 22 has a Gotoh® 510 tremolo, Only goes out of tune if I really abuse the trem, which i dont
FR are a pain to setup and to change strings for me a FR is a hard pass
The DK 24 has the same Bridge

PS Shell Pink for the win :chef

1688398342702.png

Last edited:
Floyd Rose Special is bad. Floyd Rose 1000 is good. Official Floyd Rose (OFR) is better, and the Gotoh Floyd is best. :p

Thanks!

I’m guessing stay away from any of the “licensed” Floyd Rose trems? (Like the ones on Fender and EVH)

What’s the deal with the other FR models like 1500, 2000, special, and pro?

This ^^, but not many Guitars Come with OFR or Gotoh
For My needs a Floyd Rose is not required i dont do any punishing trem
My Dk 22 has a Gotoh® 510 tremolo, Only goes out of tune if I really abuse the trem, which i dont
FR are a pain to setup and to change strings for me a FR is a hard pass
The DK 24 has the same Bridge

PS Shell Pink for the win :chef

View attachment 8575

Usually I stay away from trems all together. Mostly hard tails and I usually deck my Strats.

But the main purpose of this guitar is to have something with a FR that I can totally abuse! Something to grab when I feel like playing Van Halen, or Satriani, or other stuff from that era

Thanks!

I’m guessing stay away from any of the “licensed” Floyd Rose trems? (Like the ones on Fender and EVH)

Hard to say, I don't have a ton of experience with these. Just repeating common wisdom from the internet haha.
I'm sure some other users could answer that better than I could. :beer

The only Floyd guitars I've had personally were early Ibanez RGs with the original Edge on them and they were fantastic. They were basically a straight-up copy of the Original Floyd Rose and most people agree that they're just as good.

You should definitely play some RGs and see if you're into the neck shapes, though. I was a total RG fanboy for years until I realised that I much prefer fatter / rounder necks in general. I don't get hand cramps with a regular strat neck, for example, but I definitely do on most RGs and other shredder guitars.

Edit: sorry, just saw you already know what RG necks are like. Carry on! :grin

Last edited:
Here might be another Consideration> active EMG and Susatainiac with FR 1000 :idk
Site showing its discounted

Usually I stay away from trems all together. Mostly hard tails and I usually deck my Strats.

But the main purpose of this guitar is to have something with a FR that I can totally abuse! Something to grab when I feel like playing Van Halen, or Satriani, or other stuff from that era
I'd second the JS-model rec by @Gearzilla then -- the necks on those are more "normal". Unless you're totally fine snagging a guitar that gives you a month of nostalgia feels and then makes you remember why stopped playing super Strats. The Charvel necks have more meat on them than the RG stuff, but they are still very much in the d-shape realm.

Thanks!

No because the Ibanez Edge and Gotoh 1996 are great. The one to avoid is the floyd rose special. It has zinc saddles and breaks in no time. The 1000 and 1500 are just Korean made ones and they are pretty good. The arm mech tends to be a bit sloppy but you can easily swap it out. The pro has low profile tuners and comes in two versions. The Korean one is actually better in this case. The EVH is just the same one Charvel used without the branding. There are two Korean versions one Chinese and the original from Germany. All different but basically good quality.

I do that with the Gotoh on my Charvels and have had zero issues. A proper setup, and dare I say, they kind of make Floyds obsolete. :idk

I love the look of that RG with the nickel pickup covers! :love

I’ve been tempted to go RG because I have a lot of good memories with those guitars. You made a strong case for the Charvel in the other thread. With my wild humidity problems a graphite reinforced neck sounds like a good thing to consider

I’ve been curious about the Kramers. Something about the idea of a super stripped down, single bridge humbucker, volume knob, Floyd, nothing else, really appeals to me
I had the nickel cover Ron Ellis pafs in the drawer doing nothing so I put them on. The middle is an Abby fender fat 50 . The pickups are worth more than the guitar 🤣.

Stopped by a GC and checked out what I could today.

Jackson is out. There’s something really disorienting about the position of the fretboard and the angles of the headstock. It just felt odd to me for some reason.

I could do a Wizard neck I think. Only had one RG there but it immediately felt like home.

Charvel’s all felt like home too, just like a Strat. The only slight problem I had with them was that the pickguard on every single one was seriously warped :unsure:
Makes me a little worried about the humidity thing here. I’m guessing I could source a better pickguard? One of them actually had some acoustic properties from the pickguard.

Played a couple Kramers and they felt great too. Very similar feel to the Charvel. The ones with graphics felt like solid plastic the finish was so thick though…

Couldn’t find any LTD or Schecter

Back