Helix JCM800 2203 Request Thread (FW 3.70 new Brit 2203)!

Obviously the reference amps can make a significant difference, but what will be interesting is having a Line 6 2203 and a Fractal 2203 dropping almost simultaneously using their latest respective modelling techniques.

what-a-time-to-be-alive-jasper.gif

The L6 forum is embarrassing. I frequented there when I had a Pod HD and there was a member who found himself in every single thread bitching about everyone not doing everything exactly like him. It went from weird to comical to sad very fast. If it were a physical place it would be much like Radiator Springs from the kids movie Cars, dusty and deserted.

Assuming the leak is true, Line 6 *should* win this race if 3.70 is in beta, but you never know with Cliff!

Obviously the reference amps can make a significant difference, but what will be interesting is having a Line 6 2203 and a Fractal 2203 dropping almost simultaneously using their latest respective modelling techniques.

If Cliff got a 2203 beta out before 3.70 drops I don't think I could take Helix devs seriously ever again.

If Cliff got a 2203 beta out before 3.70 drops I don't think I could take Helix devs seriously ever again.
Line 6 has many more SKUs to deal with, and take a "big bang" approach when it comes to releases, rather than the more incremental approach that Fractal takes.

Even if Cliff does push out a 2203 beta before Line 6 releases 3.70, it will likely only be for the AxeFX3 and the FM series will have to wait before they get it.

Assuming the leak is true, Line 6 *should* win this race if 3.70 is in beta, but you never know with Cliff!

I would never bet against Cliff unless line 6 update is early next week

I would never bet against Cliff unless line 6 update is early next week

It takes a few days to measure everything in a simple amp like the 2203, then more time to accurately model it. That of course if the 40 year old amp is in perfect condition.
I wouldn't bet on Fractal for at least a month.

If you think they couldn’t release faster you are factually wrong. Your own explanation shows it. I appreciate their release schedule, but it can certainly be released faster.

There are a lot of different philosophies regarding this stuff. At one extreme end you have reaper where all development is public and pretty much every test build is released immediately to the public while the official releases come out much slower and thru the official update channel. At the other end you have more of this secret squirrel stuff, very limited or no public betas, no public alphas at all, etc.

I'd rather wait until most of bugs were squished rather than releasing stuff that hasn't been properly tested. If that means I wait a few extra weeks then fine.

Agreed. I mean, having the option could be cool, but.. releasing public betas etc for hardware like this (very different from software and from hardware aimed chiefly at more DIY or technical users) can be a support and PR nightmare when a product is popular and widespread.

Even with every warning, you'll get a lot of people who aren't used to betas and such immediately trying it because it's the new thing with the new features they want, and then next thing you know forums and YouTube are full of people having problems, presets are broken, things freeze up live, and your hardware suddenly has a rep as being buggy and unreliable, even when the official releases are stable. Not to mention possible issues with rolling firmware back and bricking.

Not to say it's impossible of course. For example, Fractal does public betas, but I think the userbase is much smaller, and so it's different as you don't really hear about it outside the public beta threads when there are issues. I just don't think Line 6 would gain much from having public betas (and, after all, the point of a beta is that it's useful for development and bug-fixing, not to get features to users sooner), and only a small number of users would gain a little.

Back