Helix autoswell: could someone please explain a bit the Rel offset parameter?

molul

Roadie
I've read the parameter description in "the big book of Helix tips and tricks" 10 times already and played with it a lot, but I still don't get what this parameter does😅

The thing is, I'm struggling a bit making a preset I had with this block on my new guitar (the 1st string won't trigger the effect; any note on that string just won't sound). Taking the threshold down to -70 (from the -56 that worked on my previous guitar) seems to work, but I'm dubious about the Rel offset value. I've moved it from -20 to +20 but I can't seem to find any difference.

If someone could share a "for kids" explanation I would be very grateful :)

A swell has three phases: the fade-in phase (level increases), the hold phase (level is constant) and the fade-out phase (level decreases).

The Autoswell lets you control two phases: the fade-in phase (it's duration is called Attack) and the fade-out (it's duration is called Decay).

The Threshold and ROffset parameters together form the thresholds (signal levels at which the phases begin) for the fade-in and fade-out phases:
ROffsetfade-in thresholdfade-out threshold
0dBThresholdThreshold
positive valueThreshold + ROffsetThreshold
negative valueThresholdThreshold + ROffset

You can use ROffset to indirectly influence the duration and 'stability' of the hold phase:
If you want the fade-out phase to start immediately after the fade-in: set ROffset to negative values.
If you play dynamic stuff after the fade-in phase and want to prevent the fade-out phase to get in the way: use high values.

A swell has three phases: the fade-in phase (level increases), the hold phase (level is constant) and the fade-out phase (level decreases).

The Autoswell lets you control two phases: the fade-in phase (it's duration is called Attack) and the fade-out (it's duration is called Decay).

The Threshold and ROffset parameters together form the thresholds (signal levels at which the phases begin) for the fade-in and fade-out phases:
0dBThresholdThreshold

You can use ROffset to indirectly influence the duration and 'stability' of the hold phase:
If you want the fade-out phase to start immediately after the fade-in: set ROffset to negative values.
If you play dynamic stuff after the fade-in phase and want to prevent the fade-out phase to get in the way: use high values.
Oh wow. Much appreciated, man! I finally get it :)

I actually wanted the fade out to start immediately, but didn't know rel offset would have any influence on it.

Thanks a lot ❤️

0dBThresholdThreshold

That description of how it can be set up makes me want to use it! Never have but just reading that I think I have an idea working with the offset at negative where the fade begins immediately at the peak of fade in that will be interesting!

Back