Helix 3.60 update, Deluxe Comp distortion?

pipelineaudio

Shredder
I am getting pretty major distortion coming from the Deluxe Comp after the 3.6 update. I havent gone back to earlier on my floor, but switching native between 3.5 and 3.6 the issue shows up on 3.6 and goes away on 3.5. Anyone know if its the comp itself or maybe there's something else changed inside that is causing this? I think I will just remove the comp from the preset its on, as its making my floor distort on the cleans

@pipelineaudio

I spent some time with the update last night getting ready for a gig, and I have the distortion with deluxe comp too. It only distorts with very short attack times for me (I think it was roughly anything under 25ms), which bites because I use it as a limiter in some presets…

D

@Digital Igloo

I don't hear distortion unless I set Attack to 0.1ms.
Maybe in some specific situation or model order?

Last edited:
I just tried it on my Helix Floor, and there is definitely some kind of subtle background distortion (or aliasing?) with Attack set to 1.0ms or less. Any higher than that and it goes away. I hear it on every compression ratio setting and it's there in both the mono and stereo versions of the block.

Edit: upon further testing, I only hear it on certain notes. The D and G strings at the 12th fret, for example. Weird. Anyway, for any of the notes where I can hear it, it goes away with Attack set greater than 1.0ms.

switching native between 3.5 and 3.6 the issue shows up on 3.6 and goes away on 3.5.
Any particular setting or preset?

it goes away with Attack set greater than 1.0ms.
Same here, but I think that's perfectly normal.
I can hear the same fluttering with a VST Compression plugin in my DAW when Attack is set to near zero, and without look-ahead or peak-hold functions, especially when combined with a very low Release setting too.

Maybe the OP and dk_ace are talking about a specific scenario where it can be heard with a higher attack time?
More detail is needed from the OP because I don't hear any abnormal level of distortion that other non-Helix compressors don't have at very low attack settings.

It looks like its the settings themselves that are getting changed. So far I see it on Deluxe compressor and legacy hall reverb. If I load 3.5 firmware, i get all my original mix % settings for each snapshot in the reverb, and no deluxe comp distortion, but going back to 3.6 and reloading the same bundle, deluxe comp distorts and all legacy hall reverbs for each snapshot are at 0%mix. I forgot to the get original setting for the deluxe comp, but Ill try on an earlier version of helix native and see if that works

I just tried it on my Helix Floor, and there is definitely some kind of subtle background distortion (or aliasing?) with Attack set to 1.0ms or less. Any higher than that and it goes away. I hear it on every compression ratio setting and it's there in both the mono and stereo versions of the block.

Edit: upon further testing, I only hear it on certain notes. The D and G strings at the 12th fret, for example. Weird. Anyway, for any of the notes where I can hear it, it goes away with Attack set greater than 1.0ms.
Are you on 3.6?

I’ll test more later. I was getting ready for a gig, so I just needed to kill the distortion and get through the weekend. I did have the attack set at minimum if I recall correctly. Seemed like I had distortion at higher settings too but it went away at 50ms for sure and I left it there. I just moved the comp in the signal chain and used it a little differently than I had before to get through the weekend.

D

I see what you mean. I dropped the attack time down all the way - a setting I never use - and I get some distortion

It seems like with this compressor and with legacy hall, on firmware 3.6, if you have attack or mix using snapshot automation, it sets it from whatever you had it stored on 3.5 to the minimum value for each snapshot. This seems like what happened to make the distortion where the same preset won’t dostort on 3.5.

Just to put this in perspective: diodes and tubes are also compressors with a certain threshold and fast attack time.

Any of the first 36 presets in this setlist:

Let me see if I can pull one up from my home computer, but it has the unfixable Helix Native cant register bug
Not really sure what to do with this.

I see the Legacy Hall in some of these at 0% but I'm not seeing the problem happen in front of me.

I ran a test:

Created a preset on my Stomp with an Angl Meteor Amp+Cab block followed by the Legacy Hall. Assigned LH High Cut and Mix parameters to Snapshots and changed the values between Snaps 1 and 2. Saved preset and exported to desktop, into native, and back to Stomp -- no issues with the high cut or mix parameters in Native, Stomp, or in the transferred preset.

Am I missing something?

Attached preset:

Snap 1 Legacy Hall : High Cut: 8.2k / Mix: 31%
Snap 2 Legacy Hall : High Cut: 3.5k / Mix: 46%

Try it on your devices and see if you're getting something different?

It seems like with this compressor and with legacy hall, on firmware 3.6, if you have attack or mix using snapshot automation, it sets it from whatever you had it stored on 3.5 to the minimum value for each snapshot. This seems like what happened to make the distortion where the same preset won’t dostort on 3.5.
maybe this is a piece of the puzzle i'm missing..are you saying things get borked only after you perform the update?

Not really sure what to do with this.

I see the Legacy Hall in some of these at 0% but I'm not seeing the problem happen in front of me.

I ran a test:

Created a preset on my Stomp with an Angl Meteor Amp+Cab block followed by the Legacy Hall. Assigned LH High Cut and Mix parameters to Snapshots and changed the values between Snaps 1 and 2. Saved preset and exported to desktop, into native, and back to Stomp -- no issues with the high cut or mix parameters in Native, Stomp, or in the transferred preset.

Am I missing something?

Attached preset:

Snap 1 Legacy Hall : High Cut: 8.2k / Mix: 31%
Snap 2 Legacy Hall : High Cut: 3.5k / Mix: 46%

Try it on your devices and see if you're getting something different?
No you got it right, once you resave it with new values, on 3.6 its those values stick, its just that all your old presets are messed up and you have to recreate them

Back