Hammett on Beato

DrewJD82

Staff member

I’m only 15 minutes into it, he just started in on how they came onto the Mark IIC+ and also added another thing for the Metallica gear lore guys to argue about; was James’ Marshall head really modded and who modded it? I think this is the first time someone from the Metallica camp flat out said it wasn’t a Jose mod.

I had no idea that Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac wrote Black Magic Woman either.
Season 6 Reaction GIF by The Office

Hahahahahaha yeah, that “No one’s ever done that before” got me pretty good.

I’m up to 1:20:00 now, Rick’s asking him about Fractal.

Funniest part so far- Kirk’s favorite wah is the Dimebag wah, the only reason his sig wah is different is out of respect for Dime.

I don’t mean to shit all over your thread or Metallica fans, but man…

I take no offense, doofy shit is doofy shit! I think Kirk has been in Kirk land for a very long time. Doesn’t seem like he has a bad thing to say about much of anything and has a lot of gratitude for his place in life, that’s all admirable, but I very much get the idea that dude’s been in a bubble since the early-mid 80’s.

Doesn’t seem like he has a bad thing to say about much of anything and has a lot of gratitude for his place in life.

Yup. It's almost like I wish the interviewers would stop trying to line up the guy these days. He's got nothing new to say, his memory has to be considered unreliable, and he has a knack for drifting into Nigel Tufnel like rambles. And the interviewers have got to all know this beforehand by now so what's the point?

Last edited:
Kirk is a really nice guy, albeit a little eclectic, but I enjoyed & admired his guitar playing for the first 4 albums
MoP is a masterpiece album and Kirk had a big part in that so props for that
I'm very happy that he has enjoyed his long career and still seems to really enjoy what he does

Last edited:
Mesa Mark IIC+ = The Death Of The Modern Rock/Metal Bass Player. :wat

Amps giveth, and amps taketh away.

Re: Moth Into a Flame. Gallop with a pull-off.

“No one’s ever done that before.”

Yeah, I’m 20 minutes in and I give up. 😂
I'm sure Eddie did one better: blues swing at high octane tempos with pull offs. Kirk just says stupid shit these days to piss people off online and ends up looking like a moron. I'm not sure if it is a put on or he's really that inept, but whatever.

Yup. It's almost like I wish the interviewers would stop trying to line up the guy these days. He's got nothing new to say, his memory has to be considered unreliable, and he has a knack for drifting into Nigel Tufnel like rambles. And the interviewers have got to all know this beforehand by now so what's the point?
He's still a few steps away from Gene Simmons territory, and that guy still gets interviewed. These days, Gene rarely gets interviewed by rock journalists, which is funny, considering that Gene -- of all of the members -- made it a point to talk to the rock zines back in the 70s.

I haven't watched all of it yet but Kirk seems like a cool, fun guy who is just as much of a nerd about guitar stuff as many of us here. I really liked the story of how he got Peter Green's guitar and how he managed to break the headstock on it. Also I love his gold shoes.

Funny how his take on Fractal is loving all the consistency, studio grade sound etc and then going "but I still love my amps in the studio...I don't know what's better about them vs Fractal, I just like something about them" which is probably in line with how many of us feel about this stuff. Fractal makes fantastic pieces of gear, but it's not quite same as the smell of dust burning off tubes and having this imposingly big, loud rig in a room.

Like I know that my BluGuitar Amp 1 sounds just as good as the tube amps I had...but because it doesn't look like a tube amp it throws me off.

I watched the whole thing. Not sure what kind of beef others have with him. He knows he is addicted
to Wah and admits it. First step to recovery. :LOL:

He is pretty self-aware for a guy accused of being "buzzed" and a bit quirky. And his favourite Metallica
album is mine, too.

He also admits to wondering where the band would have gone had Cliff not passed away so tragically. :unsure:

Finally got around to watching this and really enjoyed it. Watched the whole thing in one sitting.

He has a natural emotional openness that is very endearing and I imagine might be what draws James to him, who seems a bit more uptight, closed off, etc. Also seems to make him a target for endless slagging and negative crap.

He offers a lot of interesting insight into the creative process and some unique ways of approaching and perceiving guitar playing and music. Loved all the Greeny stories and talk, too.

Back