Hagar Anthony VH song on Stern -Satch using modeler

i agree... modelers shouldnt have amp names and should just have numbers like 1-2-3 to 300 or howmany ever tones they have. This would eliminate any comparisons to the amp its supposed to model then right?
You completely missed my point.

Simply put, if you're out at a steakhouse you enjoy, having a meal with friends you like, just do that. Don't sit there while you're eating and compare it to the other steakhouse down the street, and the other friends you could be with.
I get your point, however, I'm guessing you don't remember when this album dropped and played it forwards and backwards in the ensuing weeks like I did?? That guitar tone (that Ed did not even replicate live) is in my DNA. Well,.. err not as much as VH I and II tone is, just saying :guiness
It's not that, it's that, there is no comparison to EVH, so I don't even bother doing it. Satch =/= EVH, and no one does, so, this, at best, will just be another great guitar player, playing Ed's songs and licks. No more, no less. It's not even worth comparing, because there is no comparison, and that is totally okay.

The endless critique thread will be bigger than the celebratory thread. Fuck me!

Some of you and your tone really sucks!

:hmm

:rofl
Just making observations,.,. and my tone kills! :guiness In order:
Wizard MC II MK II
Friedman JEL 20w
Fm3
Friedman IR X

All dialed to melt faces and used in various live settings using Anderson guitarworks exclusively! But I do have a K-line Truxton being built!

This was pretty cool and we can hear where joe got many tapping ideas

You completely missed my point.

Simply put, if you're out at a steakhouse you enjoy, having a meal with friends you like, just do that. Don't sit there while you're eating and compare it to the other steakhouse down the street, and the other friends you could be with.

It's not that, it's that, there is no comparison to EVH, so I don't even bother doing it. Satch =/= EVH, and no one does, so, this, at best, will just be another great guitar player, playing Ed's songs and licks. No more, no less. It's not even worth comparing, because there is no comparison, and that is totally okay.

Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

well better is subjective.

We’ll just keep this part of your post since you didn’t even know who Satch was until someone told you. :rofl

There’s a shitload of known guys who most certainly know Ed’s guitar parts inside and out in a way Satch will never know them. Pete Thorn can probably pull off the whole catalog without needing to practice once. That Jim dude on YouTube can surely work with Pete on the tone side and man, you won’t hear a more accurate sounding VH set unless Ed was there himself.

Sammy Hagar surely knows this as well, he’s probably been given every name of every EVH clone on the planet since he’s left VH. He’s had 30 years to find a guy who can clone Ed closer than anyone else…..and yet he hasn’t. You just see him continuously tour with his friends. With the guys he knows he can travel the world in and not deal with bullshit, guys he already knows he can trust are going to be playing the parts they’re supposed to be playing during the show, guys that he knows he can count on to maintain professionalism the whole step of the way and in Sammy’s most important case, having a good time while doing it all.

Read his book sometime, he details why he tours this way now. I’ll sum it up for ya- he’s already toured with people he can’t get along with, that’s precisely how the world ended up with Van Halen III and the 2007 DLR reunion tour.

Satchel from Steel panther would have been a way better fit for this project given his history with Atomic punks and how well he nails the style.

I don't think that's what this tour is about, though. Would seem really weird if they hired some tribute band EVH imitator.

Satriani is a friend and bandmate of both Sammy and Mike and an accomplished player in his own right.

I should add, I genuinely don't care how closely Satriani nails any VH tones, solos, or any of it, really. When I got excited and immediately bought tickets for this, I was actually picturing him playing the songs and sounding like himself, and thinking how awesome and fun that would be. I didn't once think, “Oh, he better have the right Phase 90 or Eventide-whatever or I'm leaving the venue…” :rofl

To me there’s no doubt all of the top level guitarist are awesome, and have their own nuances—which is what makes them awesome in the first place. Satch, Vai, Guthrie, Gilbert. Anyone of those guys could bring it for the Best of All Worlds tour. Along with a long list other top notch players. However they’ll never be Eddie being himself.

I wouldn’t bet against Joe mastering the material by time the tour starts. To me he looked like he’s still in the oh yeah this is how it goes phase.

Part of it’s getting it under his fingers, the other part is him, John and Michael finding their groove within those songs and that’s only going to happen by playing them. They played them ”right”, they just need a little time to feel them out as a band. They’ll be killin’ it mid-tour, but I’m not any less stoked to be seeing the first night of the tour down here!

What a master! someone posted a picture of his board that day in Reddit

Nice find! I’ve tried his DS-1 setting over a Marshall model before and it always ends up sounding terrible to me. His tone must be his fingers. :sofa

Reactions: Elf
Back