Hagar Anthony VH song on Stern -Satch using modeler

Joe has never been anit-digital or anti-modeler. I thing Engines Of Creation was all plug-ins, or whatever the version of that was, at that time?

He also has a recent interview clip - that Cordy made a video about - basically saying "it never sounds like it actually does," talking about recording amps and trying to get them to sound like they do in person, and how digital can, or could, possibly get you closer (if I recall the overall point correctly).

That being said, I think his row of 4x12 cabs and tube heads will be far more appropriate for this tour. :rawk

girl crying GIF

Thank god, for me, I can enjoy something like that, without comparing his tone to _______, or comparing him to Eddie, or comparing Jason to John . . .

If you’re always comparing what you’re currently experiencing, to something else, you’ll never enjoy anything.

Thank god, for me, I can enjoy something like that, without comparing his tone to _______, or comparing him to Eddie, or comparing Jason to John . . .

If you’re always comparing what you’re currently experiencing, to something else, you’ll never enjoy anything.
i agree... modelers shouldnt have amp names and should just have numbers like 1-2-3 to 300 or howmany ever tones they have. This would eliminate any comparisons to the amp its supposed to model then right?

Pretty much everything sounds crappy in that video though. I feel like late night show musical guests often end up sounding like crap somehow. Which is odd because usually their house bands sound great.

Maybe it sounded good in the room but somehow terrible when recorded.

It was a fly date, so I'm sure very little thought was given to tone. Joe just needed something convenient. If Sammy is to be believed, they didn't rehearse, so there was probably very little preparation at all. I'll bet Joe asked Fender to send something over and he sat down with someone from Fender before the show to quickly choose some presets. He'll probably never touch another TMP for the rest of his life.

If Sammy is to be believed, they didn't rehearse, so there was probably very little preparation at all. I'll bet Joe asked Fender to send something over and he sat down with someone from Fender before the show to quickly choose some presets. He'll probably never touch another TMP for the rest of his life.

Fuck, i wish i sounded like that without rehearsal. There's a shitton of talent in that band.

This is a bit of a microcosm for life in general, especially in 2023 where so many compare their lives to what they see on social media and when they aren’t doing the things they see others doing, or having big events in their own lives, they start losing value/gratitude for what they currently do have, regardless of how bountiful it is.

Most people realize by their 30’s and 40’s that life isn’t about a series of huge events, but a series of mononotous days with several big events occurring throughout a lifetime.

In the context of the guitar/music world, I think people are so ready to have their minds blown all the time that they have this preconceived notion of what something will be like, or even just the notion that they’re going to have their minds blown and when that doesn’t happen, whatever it is becomes a punching bag.

In this case, you’ve got 4 great musicians performing songs people have loved for decades and you know they’re going to do it at a level of quality that passes the sniff test. That right there is more than enough for me, because the music and vibe is the important part, IMO. I don’t need to be blown away by some tone Joe dialed in on a modeler he’s never been seen using before, at a radio gig/fly date for those performances to make me smile, I’m just grateful the performances are happening.

I get your point, however, I'm guessing you don't remember when this album dropped and played it forwards and backwards in the ensuing weeks like I did?? That guitar tone (that Ed did not even replicate live) is in my DNA. Well,.. err not as much as VH I and II tone is, just saying :guiness

Last edited:
This is a bit of a microcosm for life in general, especially in 2023 where so many compare their lives to what they see on social media and when they aren’t doing the things they see others doing, or having big events in their own lives, they start losing value/gratitude for what they currently do have, regardless of how bountiful it is.

Most people realize by their 30’s and 40’s that life isn’t about a series of huge events, but a series of mononotous days with several big events occurring throughout a lifetime.

In the context of the guitar/music world, I think people are so ready to have their minds blown all the time that they have this preconceived notion of what something will be like, or even just the notion that they’re going to have their minds blown and when that doesn’t happen, whatever it is becomes a punching bag.

In this case, you’ve got 4 great musicians performing songs people have loved for decades and you know they’re going to do it at a level of quality that passes the sniff test. That right there is more than enough for me, because the music and vibe is the important part, IMO. I don’t need to be blown away by some tone Joe dialed in on a modeler he’s never been seen using before, at a radio gig/fly date for those performances to make me smile, I’m just grateful the performances are happening.
life sucks and then you die
Sad In Bed GIF by nicolezaridze

Was not looking to be blown away, just making a comment on his tone and anyone doing a VH tribute is going to be critiqued some. Satchel from Steel panther would have been a way better fit for this project given his history with Atomic punks and how well he nails the style.

Joe is a great player but most realize when he met Sammy, Joe told him 'I don't play covers...... Sammy says you will if you play with me' :rawk paraphrased. but the point being he plays his style very well and others stuff ok

oh..he plays like him ..must be in the genes
He's a bit different..., has his own thing going on. What I hear in his playing is a real "tightness" to his sticking, and just this "immediacy" in his dynamics. John was a lot looser as a player than Jason is.

I wouldn't be surprised if you recorded Jason's playing, and went to quantitize it, there'd be nothing to change, even a little bit.

Like I said, just what I hear.

And plus, not to pat myself on the back, but when I first heard the video, I had no idea who the drummer was, but upon listening to how he was playing, did I then think it was Jason Bonham.

A buddy of mine and I watched a Foreigner show in his home theater, and Jason was phenomenal in that gig!

Clearly some sort of "FRFR" tilted behind Joe. Not sure if its a FM9 or? Tone is meh, certainly not Ed's glorious plexi on steroids. Vocals sounds solid though. I like Joe a lot but the solo sounds like a teen in his bedroom on YT covering it. Certainly good but not Ed. Having said that I would pay to see this! :rawk

I hope it wasn’t a “I need an EVH tone and Fender released a new modeler. Clearly that 5150 must sound accurate, amiright?”

Back