Guitar tone hell

That's all fine. But I'm seriously wondering how all that could actually apply when the MD of that entire thing loves bad guitar sound so much.

Eh, you get varying levels of knowledge and attention to the nuances of guitar tones. Even among MDs.

I work with a trombonist who obsesses over his gear. He’s always trying out new mouthpieces, new slides, new horns and talking about how much better certain gear sounds. And to me it always just sounds… like a trombone. When we’re in the mix of the full band I don’t hear any difference in his tone.

Does that mean I love bad trombone sound?

I both agree, and disagree. The weird thing is that I treat this situation totally different between modelers and amps. If I show up and get told “use this amp” I say cool, plug a board in, turn some knobs, and rock on.

With a modeler, I just don’t. It’s too fiddly to try to get a modeler dialed in unless it’s just a basic dry clean sound that I can plug a board into like I would a back line amp. I plug my own rig in and go. Generally at a gig that’s running this way the monitoring situation is baked in too, so you can set your own level just getting the monitoring level right. The gig modeler was dialed in to someone else’s guitars and hands, it’s going to sound better off my own rig. I haven’t encountered anyone that couldn’t quickly understand that and be open to trying my rig. This assumes it’s a full rig modeling setup (dirt, compression, effects, etc). If it’s just doing a basic clean tone I can plug a board in and be off to the races, who cares.

This has come up like twice for me, usually the gigs that I’ve seen have direct solutions there are just accounting for guitarists that might show up and not have a silent stage option of their own. I have only seen one or two try to say that everyone needs to plug into the gig rig.

Another thought, some pros decide what they are and are not willing to do for a given gig and then stick to their guns. Dealing with whatever situation presents itself is a choice. You might choose to do it just to prove you can, but you don’t have to. Unless it pays good and you’re starving, then plug into whatever and keep your mouth shut lol.

D

It’s all about priorities. If your tone is more important to you than the gig then turn it down and don’t deal with it.

That’s not where my priorities are. Like I said above, I get to spend a weekend playing fun music with some cool people, and I get to make some money, make some new connections, and open up some doors. To me that’s not worth throwing away because I don’t like my tone

How are some people still assuming you always know what you have to work with before you even show up?

Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

:LOL:

I'm perfectly aware of that. Which is why the decent ones let me decide what I like to use.

No. But you wouldn't tell the trombone player to get away with what he thinks is a tone from hell.

You do you, I’ll keep doing me.

I posted this here because it’s fun to rant about with other guitarists who can feel the pain, but I didn’t say a word about it to anyone there, and overall it was a great night. Ultimately to me this is small stuff I’m not gonna sweat

I liked this MD, she’s very cool, she did a great job running the show, and I’m looking forward to working with her again!

How can someone continue to know better than the person who was actually in the room?? :idk

Do you somehow get a better view and superior knowledge a couple of Continents away? And if you
do, can you share the secret??

Big question... did they already have patches ready for each song, or did they let you tweak to your level of satisfaction?

What is annoying is posting here just to have some fun ranting with fellow guitarists and having people tell me it’s my fault, I’m not being professional, and I’m not running my business correctly :rolleyes:

Yeah, that’s TGP behavior 101.

Out of curiosity, has anyone here questioning Metrop ever played a theater gig before? In NYC, specifically, where theater is a whole industry?

Must be nice to be able to choose.

I'm not exactly able to choose, but, while I can't tell about the situation over there, whenever I try to imagine a scenario when I was told to not be allowed to bring my own sound with me (especially in case it's old modeling tech used there and new modeling tech in my hands), it'd all turn out to be a scenario I rather wouldn't want to be in. And not a well paid or promising one, either.
And yes, I have been playing tons of gigs with rather strict rules and what not. I have as well been "offered" equipment supplied by the production here and there. Sometimes I just said "great" (it might've even be better stuff than what I'd been able to bring), sometimes it was just ok and when it wasn't, I simply connected my own stuff. After all, people don't only ask me because I can play the notes but also because they trust me to deliver the right sounds. Has not even once in my life been an issue. And if it was, I would do it once and never again.
Life is too short to deal with bad guitar sound, especially as these days there's no technical reasons for it anymore.

What is annoying is posting here just to have some fun ranting with fellow guitarists and having people tell me it’s my fault, I’m not being professional, and I’m not running my business correctly :rolleyes:

TBF, I was just responding to people saying it was the professional thing to do to play the rp500 and never consider the alternative options. It’s just as professional to take other options if you aren’t dumb about the way you do it, that’s all I was saying…

If you wanted the gig anyway and had fun, that’s all that matters. I’ve played a gig on a gt6 as a board just to prove to a friend that it could sound great and he didn’t have to worry about the fact that he couldn’t afford something better. I’ve played shows on unexpected back line situations and weird/crappy monitoring gigs. Can always just tune that stuff out and play making it all work.

My posts were kinda more thinking out loud about how/why I treat it differently with a surprise backline amp situation versus a surprise modeler situation. I shrug off the amp and say hell no on the modeler, don’t really know why lol.

I’m still keeping your TGF membership revoked. TGF members are expected to show up with a huge primary rig that may or may not fit on the stage, at least one backup rig, and a stomp in the gigbag on top of that.

D

I looked up the manual when I got home last night and I’m going to get there early tonight to check a few things. I think it’s possible something was turned off.

The distortion I was told to use sounded like a BD-2 with the drive up all the way direct into a mixer :oops:

It was so ungodly horrible it was jarring. I played terrible the first half of the show because I was trying to adapt to how bad it sounded.
Makes you appreciate what Fractal Offers :chef

Back