The Digitech RP500 has a special place in my heart.

Will Chen

Roadie
I had all but forgotten the device until this thread, but I remember loving that generation of Digitech gear. And then I remember that I did some recordings with it and submitted a track to a compilation which has since shown up on streaming services. So here is the RP500 recorded direct way back from 2011 in all it's glory.

Sounds perfectly fine. And about 100 times better than those drums.

Ha! We had no budget. Probably mics on bass drum, snare, and a couple over heads recorded in a living room. I think I had a zoom 8 channel recorder. Guitar and bass are dead simple to record compared to drums

I had all but forgotten the device until this thread, but I remember loving that generation of Digitech gear. And then I remember that I did some recordings with it and submitted a track to a compilation which has since shown up on streaming services. So here is the RP500 recorded direct way back from 2011 in all it's glory.

Sounds great!

I also owned an RP1000. I obviously sold it, because I don't have it anymore, but I have no memory of passing it along. Weird. There's an RP500 at the local Music Go Round, and I've thought about picking it up for nostalgia.

However, there's also a 2112, and I think that would be the more interesting unit between the two...

Baby's (me) first modeller was a RP350, so yeah, that gen of mod will always remain special to me.

And IIRC it had the real names in the manual AND the modeller. Imagine that. You scroll through amps and there were't "Brit 2203" and "Rectofire", but just JCM800 and Mesa Rec in clear. I wonder why they could do this back then in the '00s.

One thing that will always remain amazing: The Lexicon reverbs it had. Especially the Ambiance. And you know what? I guess wr have that in Helix now <3 <3 <3 (somebody knows if it's the same, as the Digitech folks are now at YGG?)

I'll never forget my RP-12 ..... the good old days?

I actually owned the RP1 when it was released...

1708015323000.png

Yeah, even the pitch bending stuff were GREAT. There was a point of time when I solely used the RP on a pedaboard for pitch bending (and YaYa @Alex Kenivel ). Their pitch bending was certainly much better than even the newest 3rd tier and lower tier modelers of today.

Their DS1 model was also quite spot on.

I couldn't afford an RP1. I finished college and got a job then got an RP10. and then a 2112 and 2120, valve FX and other Digitech stuff. I have an 1101 but don't use it much anymore. Yes I'm old.

I actually owned the RP1 when it was released...
I too, and I played live with it! But with guitar power amp and cabinets.
On the contrary my first "modeler" that I used direct into a mixer and with a (cheap) full range amp was Digitech Valve FX!
I'm an old man...
And then Line6 Pod1 and 2, RP250, RP500, Yamaha Magic Stomp, Roland VG8, and maybe something else, all direct into mixer! I'm an old modeler man...

Last edited:
I await the modelers of yesteryear " renaissance " period to start,
a retro comeback of 1990's digital gear where collectors are paying top dollar.... not.

Digitech RP-1000 was the first time I ever heard of the 4-cable method. They had a demo video about how it all works. Those days were awesome!

Back