Gibson Murphy Lab Relics

That Trem Bar and Tip doesn't match, though. :idk

So I dug out those other whammy bars last night and found one does indeed fit, just has to be screwed in at a specific angle. I figured I'd give the coffee trick a try. I used a fret eraser to rub off the gloss off the trem bar tip then soaked it in some coffee overnight.

IMG_2714.jpg

It works! And now I have a regular size bar on it.

So I dug out those other whammy bars last night and found one does indeed fit, just has to be screwed in at a specific angle. I figured I'd give the coffee trick a try. I used a fret eraser to rub off the gloss off the trem bar tip then soaked it in some coffee overnight.

View attachment 2610

It works! And now I have a regular size bar on it.

Nice!! Never heard of the "Soak it in the coffee the ghost living here spilled," method of tinting.

:crazy

:beer

I friggin LOVE relics as long as they’re done right. MJT does that stuff correct; I have a Telemaster they did and love it.

B995296A-506A-4991-ADCB-6AC025836BC7.jpeg

Looks tastefully beat up.

My main gig guitar for about 9 years was a custom LP a friend built for me. In and out of vans and what not and the finish cracked and looks fake as fuck. I need to get it redone as a bourbon burst or something whenever I find the time….

6526CB3E-A3B9-4368-9167-C3732A90CBC9.jpeg

The original Murphy relics were astonishingly good. When Gibson introduced the Murphy Lab, a bunch of less skilled luthiers tried to emulate his work and most were/are sub-par. Then prices on everything went thru the roof. My favorite part about the Murphy Labs was when customers complained that the finish was "too relic'd" and started flaking off the guitars. It's like, isn't that what you paid 8 grand for??? :lol:

A relic finish needs to start with an unpainted body.
The original Murphy relics were astonishingly good. When Gibson introduced the Murphy Lab, a bunch of less skilled luthiers tried to emulate his work and most were/are sub-par. Then prices on everything went thru the roof. My favorite part about the Murphy Labs was when customers complained that the finish was "too relic'd" and started flaking off the guitars. It's like, isn't that what you paid 8 grand for??? :lol:
This is just wrong, The NEW ones are the most accurate that Gibson have every built.

IMG_1987.jpg

This is thin sealer and a grain filler. It also needs to copy the original method so damage looks correct.
IMG_1990.jpg

The finish needs to be slightly sunken and thin.

IMG_1995.jpg

Minimal wet sanding because you will be through this very easily.
IMG_1997.jpg

Imperfect is the aim . You could easily just keep putting clear on this and flat it perfectly.

This is just wrong, The NEW ones are the most accurate that Gibson have every built.
Accurate? Don't you mean authentic, as in Play Authentic?

Point stands, Gibson's Murphy Lab luthiers are not even close to having Tom Murphy's skills, just more marketing hype and another reason to gouge customers. I own a few Gibsons and they are great guitars, but they didn't get a penny from me. I'm definitely not paying 8 grand for this shit, "accurate" or not.

You need to show the guitar fully with the certificate. And by accurate, (which is what I mean) same process and materials as were used originally. That guitar is damaged after the fact. I see Murphy Lab guitar all the time and they are Gibsons finest new guitars. At least as good as older ones painted only by Tom.

Last edited:
Look man, you have your experience, I have mine, and hundreds of owners of Murphy Lab guitars have theirs. I'm sure most of those owners are pleased as punch with their guitars, but was pretty well documented that owners of early Murphy Labs were pissed off and complained to Gibson about the lack of durability on the Ultra Light Aged finishes - 50 page TGP threads, MyLesPaul threads, YT vids - I'm surprised you missed such a hot topic. It got so noisy that Gibson made a statement defending themselves, and in the process, accused the owners of "improper acclimation". Stay classy.

Look man, you have your experience, I have mine, and hundreds of owners of Murphy Lab guitars have theirs. I'm sure most of those owners are pleased as punch with their guitars, but was pretty well documented that owners of early Murphy Labs were pissed off and complained to Gibson about the lack of durability on the Ultra Light Aged finishes - 50 page TGP threads, MyLesPaul threads, YT vids - I'm surprised you missed such a hot topic. It got so noisy that Gibson made a statement defending themselves, and in the process, accused the owners of "improper acclimation". Stay classy.

Yes people complaining that accurate 50’s lacquer was behaving just like 50s lacquer.

as with anything, i think it depends on the individual guitar, BUT every murphy lab i have played has been a great instrument, which i would expect at that price range.

Back